VW Winter Front Now Available for A4's!!

grelli

TDI
Tornado Red 2005 Golf GLS TDI
spicy_red said:
Oh come on... it's not that creepy.

I mean if I'd said something like... I understand you were excited but you didn't have to install it in the parking lot, then I could understand the :eek:. I'm honestly not following you around the city.

I swear.

yet

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver

It looks good on silver too.

Just dont slip on ice installing it and bash your head into the hood. :(

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
That does look like an "ouch" dent. Hopefully, nothing of an organic nature broke!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
david, looks very nice. If we actually had some genuine cold weather I'd be tempted to get the setup!

Did you install the lower section? Can we see a picture of that?

thanks.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
david_594 said:
Only broke the deer that jumped on it.

The dont slip is more of a cautionary thing.
I was thinking: "Did his head make that dent?" and "I don't want to mess w/ that guy: must be a hockey player or something.":D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd like to see the lower piece either straight on or off the car. How many sections make up the lower piece?

thx.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Oops, I see I posted my question on the wrong thread. I guess I'll have to get one.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
ZVW193898 - is this the part # for an A4 Golf too?

TIA

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Sunrg, Based on the fact that the grills are different I would guess that there is a different winter front for the golf.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Spice,

I accidentally chucked my directions. I figured out the bottom part but don't get how the tops go on. They look to be way too large. Or, it looks like you have to cover up the air intake. Can you snap a photo with the hood up and show us?

Thanks.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
The buttom just sits under the bottom of the front grill. If you look on the right side you will see the piece of plastic with holes in it for flow that leads to the intake. You are going to put the top piece between that and the plastic piece behind it. Its a tight fit and might be easier to put the top in first.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
So does it block those intake holes?

Edit: Okay, thanks David. I did as you said. It does block the holes somewhat. I hope it can breath okay.

Last edited:

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I just installed this. I live in an apt complex, and can not "plug-in" my car :(. This is the next best thing. It's felt like winter here past couple mornings in the 20s. I noticed faster warm up time with the cover. I have short drive for work.

bradfa

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs anymore :(

Just out of the box and on to the Jetta. Hopefully the little wrinkles will work their way out with some use. They are just from the way it was folded.

A little trickier than I thought it would be going on, but once I figured out the little spots where it sits nicely on the bottom of the grill, worked fine ;)

We'll see how it works starting tomorrow. Another thing I thought of, it should keep the rad cleaner with all the salt and such :cool:

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
I installed mine last weekend and have noticed some engine noise under load since. It sounds like the it did when I disconnected the snowscreen tube to see if there was any difference in airflow restriction. I have a good feeling the flap on the snowscreen tube is opening from the lack of airflow from the grill. Performance was affected a little and the engine made a grunting noise above 2500 rpm. Definitely noticeable cruising at 75-85 on the highway. I have RC2 with Sprint520 nozzles. Don't know if it affects stock cars. I am looking for a way to punch holes in the flap that covers the intake to restore some airflow...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Pepper, I was thinking the same thing. I think it covers the intake on purpose to cause that intake flap to open so that the engine draws in warmer under-hood air (speeding up warmups.)

To improve breathing, what about punching holes in that flap with a paper hole puncher?

I realize this kind of defeats the original purpose somewhat, but I hate to trade off performance for a slightly faster warmup.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So it completely blocks the fresh air intake??

that's un-good and seems like a serious oversight.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup. Completely blocks the intake:mad:. I understand the principle of using engine compartment air to heat up the engine faster but I don't like the engine to work harder to get air in.. It's kinda like a human gasping for air.

I punched holes in the flap last night with a leather punch I got at Home Depot. Worked like a charm. The plastic tab inside the flap requires something sharp to punch through. I don't think a paper hole punch will work. Even the leather punch didn't cut completely through the felt on the backside and I had to use a knife to snip off the felt that didn't cut through completely. I will install them back on the car tomorrow and report back on performance.:D

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
dieseldorf said:
So it completely blocks the fresh air intake??

that's un-good and seems like a serious oversight.
Then again this is an OEM VW part. There are instructions/warnings that come along with it. I don't not think VW would take the risk of people blowing up thier engines for a ~32 USD part.

DD, you talking about the snorkel/CAI?

PS. the instuctions say for the golf/jetta fyi

Last edited:

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Leo, the instructions for this VW OEM part specifically mention to slide the flap between the grill and the radiator support. It so happens that the CAI is at the location the picture on the intructions points to (although the CAI is not on the picture). Once you slide the flap in place, the CAI is completely obstructed. There is a bypass that opens on the snowscreen tube to let air in but it need a good amount of vaccum to open and I don't like the idea of my engine gasping for air.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Leo819 said:
DD, you talking about the snorkel/CAI?
Leo, as pepper notes, cold air is drawn from the car's upper grille (most models)....many seem unaware of this design....pop the hood and have a look. ;)

grelli

TDI
Tornado Red 2005 Golf GLS TDI
So at -27 outside, not including wind chill, how well did these treat you spicy_red?

I live on the north side of the saint, and I didn't have full, needle straight up heat, until I turned on to gretzky from the yellowhead.