Couple of quick questions on glow plugs BEW

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Does anyone have info on how to determine which glow plugs I have in my BEW? I remember having a recall done probably around 2007 or 2008 at which time the ECU was re-flashed to accommodate the new plugs. I can't don't remember if this was an update from the original plugs or if this was an update to the update to the original plugs...weren't there two updates from original?

I've since acquired a Malone Tune. I think it's time to replace my glow plugs and harness but want to make sure I get the correct version (steel vs ceramic; 7v vs 5v) as I don't want to re-flash again if I don't need to. I already have a new harness.

Now that it's colder, I'm getting plug codes that I can clear but then they periodically show up again unsolicited. I live in the PNW so it's not a big deal but if it gets really cold, I should be prepared.

Thanks up front!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Search threads started by MOGolf; he did a write-up on the BEW GP recalls. I had it written down somewhere, but don't know where I put it.
N 105 916 07 is the part # for the 5n steelies installed with the first recall that was superseded by the 7v GP's with the steel sheathing. The latter I do not know.
I don't have the factory installed ceramic's anymore. I had kept them for a while.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Okay, will search MOGolf.

Bob -- Malone keeping records on what? I didn't follow you there...

Is this something I can find out with VCDS?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think it’s stamped in very small letters on the side of the glow plug itself. I have several laying on a shelf I’ll double check.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The tuners may not change that section (glow 'palpitation') of the software unless you tell them to, although I always tell them which plugs are being used. In the case of the current crop, I would just want the newest 7v NGK plugs anyway (note these plugs are NOT the same as the 7v NGK plugs the BRM engines left the factory with!).

But otherwise, removing a plug and seeing which one it is will be the only way to know for certain, and they are all marked.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Okay, will search MOGolf.

Bob -- Malone keeping records on what? I didn't follow you there...

Is this something I can find out with VCDS?
Records of before and after data for your ECU. They should at least be able to tell you what flavor glow plugs the ECU expects.
VCDS might (should) show that info, IDK what value to look for.

Last edited:

Diesel_Man

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon 1.9l BEW, 5 spd Tiptronic
Does anyone have info on how to determine which glow plugs I have in my BEW? I remember having a recall done probably around 2007 or 2008 at which time the ECU was re-flashed to accommodate the new plugs. I can't don't remember if this was an update from the original plugs or if this was an update to the update to the original plugs...weren't there two updates from original?

I've since acquired a Malone Tune. I think it's time to replace my glow plugs and harness but want to make sure I get the correct version (steel vs ceramic; 7v vs 5v) as I don't want to re-flash again if I don't need to. I already have a new harness.

Now that it's colder, I'm getting plug codes that I can clear but then they periodically show up again unsolicited. I live in the PNW so it's not a big deal but if it gets really cold, I should be prepared.

Thanks up front!

KERMA sells the updated glow plugs along with the updated glow plug module. That is where I got mine from. Check there too :)

Diesel Man :)

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Will play around with VCDS this weekend. I'm too squeamish to take out a GP unless I'm really ready!

I may just replace the harness being I have one and see how that does.

I cleared the codes (which I think were attributed to me turning the key too quickly without GP engagement) and they haven't returned. I may be worrying about nothing.