Quick couple questions

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Just had some questions before I deal out the money.

First off, timing belt change interval on an '02 Jetta... I'm seeing 60,000 miles, and 60,000km... which one is it?

The 03's then changed the interval to 100,000... KM or Miles?

I notice alot of people like using the word miles but actually mean KM, it's that whole not quite converted generation that's really bad for it :p.

Secondly, I'm going to be purchasing a timing belt kit, and all the tools to do so. I also need to get my hands on some synchros and transmission parts for a rebuild I'm doing on my buddy's 020. Any place that sells all of that so I can save on shipping?

World Impex has most of it but not the good water pumps and not the metalnerd set. Other places (tdiparts.com and dieselgeek.com) have good belt and tool kits but don't carry the transmission parts I want.
I've ordered from all three before and have had no problems.

Am I hoping for a miracle to find one place that sells them all?

Thanks!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
That would be 60,000 MILES not km. the interval did change with the 03 models because the timing belts changed and the newer ones have a longer life so after your first timing belt change it will go up to the longer interval. You should double check those numbers just to make sure, they original numbers should be in the owner's manual your local dealer should have the new longer times if you don't have access to a manual. Also someone else here may have the exact intervals . Note: there is also a time interval and it is which ever comes first.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for clearing that up. I figured that was the case.
I'm not going to worry about the time frame, I never apply for those lol. I commute a 1000km round trip weekly.
She's wearing out before my very eyes.:(

Now for parts...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
flatlanded said:
Just had some questions before I deal out the money.

First off, timing belt change interval on an '02 Jetta... I'm seeing 60,000 miles, and 60,000km... which one is it?

The 03's then changed the interval to 100,000... KM or Miles?
For 2002 TDIs the TB interval was 80k miles, that is 80,000 miles. Also some very late 2001 models with a build date after May 2001.

Canadian TDI owners can get an excellent TB kit from Roseland:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWParts.htm

or they can order from www.dieselgeek.com

Get the TB kit you want, then find the best place for the transmission stuff you need. The best place for one may not be the best place for the other.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
TB Kit

You do know that you will need VagCom/VCDS to do your finall TB adjuistment? You did not mention purchasing it or having access to it.