www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:14   #16
cosmic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/42/38
Default Motive brake fluid change (caution 3MB of pics)

Quote:
One question cosmic. Did you put the new brake fluid INSIDE the Motive bleeder or did you use the motive bleeder to push air into the brake fluid resevoir?

I used the motive bleeder to push air, i.e. no fluid in the motive bleeder. In retrospect, I could have put fluid in the bleeder, as I used virtually all of the can to do the whole change. If I had though, I still would have had to clean the bleeder out.
cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 10:50   #17
jettajim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 6spd=46 lifetime, '12 Passat gasser-terrible

Nice write-up. You should have flushed the clutch res. while you were at it--kill 2 birds with the same messy stone .
jettajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 14:34   #18
michTDI
Veteran Member

I noticed that in the PDF version some of the captions don't match up with the correct pictures. For example it talks about blue fluid on pictures that are the amber etc. Someone should fix it........FYI
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 15:41   #19
michTDI
Veteran Member

I also came across this too-which tells you how to make a version of the Motive (I don't think that it saves a LOT but maybe 25 bucks or so). If any of you DIYers are interested:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc24.shtml
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 15:59   #20
dieseldorf
top post dawg

michTDI, cool stuff. I have also seen the reqd 45MM cap in anodized AL from The Ultimate Garage in NY. They get $30 for the cap + fitting pictured in the foreground:

...if you have an air compressor with a regulator that can be trusted, this would be an excellent alternative to the Motive.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 17:02   #21
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Question out of ignorance. I have a pressure bleeding kit with assorted caps that I used with my MGB. This kit has a chuck that connects to the tire valve. Yes, I know this is higher working pressure than what this thread talks about. Will this work with the VW system, and will the higher pressure cause harm? And, yes, my Jetta is an A3 and I know I am on the wrong thread. Thanks in advance.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 17:27   #22
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
I have a pressure bleeding kit with assorted caps that I used with my MGB. This kit has a chuck that connects to the tire valve. Yes, I know this is higher working pressure than what this thread talks about. Will this work with the VW system, and will the higher pressure cause harm?
paramedic, it seems like an OK idea if you can regulate the pressure to less than 20psi. The cap on the brake fluid reservoir is 45mm and is common.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 18:07   #23
MITBeta
Veteran Member

GeWilli: It didn't occur to me to rotate the tires at the same time (since it's not due), but perhaps next spring I'll do the brake flush during the tire rotation...

For the record, I put the fluid in the Motive...
MITBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 07:22   #24
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

Quote:
Quote:
I have a pressure bleeding kit with assorted caps that I used with my MGB. This kit has a chuck that connects to the tire valve. Yes, I know this is higher working pressure than what this thread talks about. Will this work with the VW system, and will the higher pressure cause harm?
paramedic, it seems like an OK idea if you can regulate the pressure to less than 20psi. The cap on the brake fluid reservoir is 45mm and is common.
The bleeder kits that I see (from ipdUSA.com for example) say use a low pressure source specifically spare tire and to keep the pressure under 20 psi.

like this one:
http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.a...bCategoryID=13

on sale for $24 - sure not quite as "slick" as the motive - but getting a spare tire to 20 PSI is pretty easy and getting back up to the "proper inflation" is easy too, or use a winter/summer tire (i've got a few sets of those in the garage).

GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 07:49   #25
dieseldorf
top post dawg

One problem that comes to mind when using a tire or the compressor as the source of air pressure: Moisture

With either of these two methods, there is a fair chance of introducing moisture/condensation directly into the fresh brake fluid.
Old April 4th, 2003, 09:08   #26
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

GeWilli, that is the very kit I have. Dieseldorf, noted, but never had a problem when I used it on the MGs. Thanks to all.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 09:26   #27
GeWilli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: you keep track?

paramedick, cool - mind checkin why your sig file leaves that giant blank space?

I was eyeballin that kit - I'll try doing my brakes with the Mity-vac (maybe) or see if zanzabar might let me use his Motive this summer when its time to do mine.

GeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:02   #28
pc

TDI(s): 2000
Fuel Economy: 48/43/38

Hey TDI-ers...
Aprox. how many oz/ltr of "ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid" are need to complete the brake system flush ?

tkx
-pc
pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:19   #29
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Hey TDI-ers...
Aprox. how many oz/ltr of "ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid" are need to complete the brake system flush ?

tkx
-pc
The last time I did a way dirty bleeding, I used roughly 28 oz/32oz can. Having a spare unopened can might be a good back up.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2003, 16:35   #30
schnabba
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
I was eyeballin that kit - I'll try doing my brakes with the Mity-vac (maybe) or see if zanzabar might let me use his Motive this summer when its time to do mine.
I did mine with a mityvac - it's a pain! There must be some safety valve or something, because you put 20-25" mercury on it, and it pulls the fluid SLOW. I had to pump the pedal to get it to release fluid faster.

You also have to use teflon tape to seal the threads so they don't leak air.

Other cars don't do this - so I wonder if there is some kind of a valve or something in the caliper that prevents you from pulling fluid easily?
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote