PD Fuel injector maintenance

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I had a preventable injector failure last week that I have not seen anyone post about, but I could have missed it. There is a Plunger/Pin (different sources call it different) that sits under the rocker arm and on top of the injector.

At over 247k I had one of these pins spilt in half causing the injector to stop working due to being out of adjustment. Unfortunately I was 185 miles away from home and was not able to fully fix the problem until I got the car home. I adjusted the injector as best I could and got her home. After ordering a set of injectors, I found this piece came with the seal kits I ordered to but the new injectors in with.

When I took the rockers off to change the injectors, I found the the others were worn badly as well.

I would recommend checking these pins/plungers anytime you have to remove the valve cover so that you can prevent any failures and damage to your PD injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krivs388

TDI
05 Golf TDI
That's good info and great to know. My BEW has roughly 340k miles and I have no service history on it. So that may go on my preventative maintenance list.

Great post

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I just inspected a friend BEW with 200k on it and ordered the parts after looking at 2 of plungers. Definitely worth the $70 to maintain them to prevent the cost of injectors like I had to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk