Bew dilemma

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
Put a new engine in my 04 BEW. I've gotten it to start 4 or 5 times, and it runs good. This morning started it twice and no problems. Let it warm up to temperature. After the 3rd time it started right up and I went to move it and it died and wont start again. Also I might add I replaced the transmission with a used one.

I ordered a new crank sensor, ( Haven't received it yet ) but the car was running fine on the old engine until the water pump went out.

I also replaced the in tank pump with a new VDO.

I do have a Vagcom.

I've been working on this for weeks and would really appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks, Terry

teitel39

TDI
2004 golf GL 4dr, 5spd, BEW
I assume "new" engine is rebuilt or used? you transferred all the engine management sensors, your turbo etc?

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
How much was Short Block?and and where did you get it... I hope you solve starting issues asap
I bought it from Cascade German in May. It was the only one I could find. AMC head and shortblock was $3250, but it included everything for a longblock.

tpitt1946

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2004 Silver
Read the info on Ross-Tech for the various codes. I suspect it's a bad wire or connection. Always hard to find.
Thank you. I plan on changing the sensor and if that doesn't work I plan on doing exactly that. The wires were moved around and it's a good possibility that one or more are frayed.