2013 Passat Driver's Side Heat blend door servo replacement

ReallyBigAir

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hello All,

We have a newly purchased 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium with a heating/cooling system issue. It has duel zone heating/cooling and everything seems to work just fine on the passenger side. However, on the drivers side, it always blows hot air, even when the controls are set to A/C and the temp is set at LO or 64 degrees.

My son and I took off the required interior panels and found the drivers side blend door actuator servo module. We changed the temperature setting and the servo actuator did not move. We ended up removing the servo module, tested the motor (it works), cleaned up much of the gobs of grease and reassembled everything. We tested it before re-installing all of the panels. When we changed temperature from LO to HI and back, the actuator moved and we got the correct air mixture. Success! Or so we thought......

After putting everything back together, it worked for one trip around the block. Next time we drove the car, it was back to HOT all the time, regardless of temperature setting.

Couple of questions:

Do you think we need to use VCDS to reset the servo? Any chance this will "fix" the problem? We do not have a VCDS unit, so we'll have to borrow one.

Next, the servo module has 3 screws and one pin that hold it in place. During the removal of the module, we broke off the one tab that holds the screw at the "back" of the servo module. This tab is not visible when you are in the drivers side floor looking at the servo module. There is no access to that screw. We ended up using Gorilla super glue to glue the broken tab to the servo module. So, if I end up replacing the driver's side blend door servo module, do you know how to remove the in-accessible screw on the back end (towards front of car) of the servo module? There is no access hole and there is a metal structural member in the way. Is there a special tool that will fit between the metal structural member and the top (cover) of the blend door servo? Actually, removing the screw, once we take out the old module, will not be a problem. However, putting the screw back in, after replacement with a new module, will be a problem.

Anyone have a service manual that explains how to replace the drivers side blend door servo module on a 2012 Passat?

Thanks for any assistance or advice.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Step one: remove instrument panel

Step two: replace ALL the Chinese HVAC motors (three or four, depending on equipment)

I have done a BUNCH of these.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Nothing but Chinacool replacements, unfortunately. I wish I had better news. The new ones look the same as the bad ones I take out. This is something unique to the NMS Passat, as no other VAG product I am aware of uses the same HVAC, although I suspect the Atlas shares a lot with them.

It isn't just Volkswagens assembled in North America either. Lots and lots of GM and Ford vehicles are cursed with Chinese HVAC motors. In some cases they are easy to swap, in others, you have to take the dash half apart or out of the car altogether.

Last edited:

jpg98

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
RallyBigAir,

Did you get it fixed? I need to replace the blend door actuator on the passenger side of my 2014 because someone removed it and tied it to full heat. I'm curious whether you needed vcds for the job.

ReallyBigAir

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
@jpg98 - I have not yet replaced the blend door actuator. Hoping to borrow my cousin's vcds and try a reset first. If the reset does not resolve the issue (not likely), I'll replace the part. I do not know if vcds (reset) is required post replacement.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Looks like I've had the driver side blend motor fail again, though I have not checked with vcds yet to confirm. The last time I had the dealer change it out. This time I'm wondering just how much of the dash I need to take apart to replace it myself? As I recall, cost me about 300$ the last time for the dealer, which sounds like a 2 hour job or so.

Yours
Vern

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
So the blend motor seems to have fixed itself, for now at least. So for now I'll let it alone.

The dealer says it's a 1.5 hour job to swap one, BTW.

Yours
Vern

Dretaylor94

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hey. Just wanted to share some potentially helpful information to anyone who may have issue in the future.
About 2 months ago I began having that same problem where my driver side vents was blowing out extremely hot air no matter what the climate control temp was set to. All other vents in car worked fine. At first it would happen randomly, where somedays it managed to correct itself and work fine. Until about a month ago, it completely stopped working and I was getting nothing but hot air from driver side all the time. After doing a lot of researching, I discovered that you can reset the blend door motor without the VCDS by simply holding down the middle vent and AC button at the same time (attached image shows which two buttons I’m referring to) for a couple seconds while the vehicle is started. Once you release the buttons, the orange light will begin flashing on those two buttons for about 10-15 seconds while the reset takes place. Once they stop flashing, you should be good to go. I performed this reset a little less than a month ago and all my vents have been working perfectly fine ever since. Hope this info is helpful to someone.

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Very interesting. Where did you find that info? I'm wondering what other resets the cars may have.

Yours
Vern

Dretaylor94

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I came across it in a YouTube video after googling info on blend door actuators. Didn’t come across any other resets while searching. Was mainly focusing on trying to figure out the vent issue.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I am having the same: issue weak a/c on the driver's side. I thought my system needed a charge but when I hooked up VCDS today I had 4C (40F) at the evap and 9-12C at the passenger side foot well and dash vents. Driver's side was 27C & 29C respectively.

I'll try the two button push reset tomorrow and thanks for the info. John

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Well I did the to two button reset and it did seem to help although not fully correct the problem. Will try it again and use a thermometer to check actual vent output.

Thanks for the tip, John

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I threw the gauges on the a/c system and the charge was low. One can of refrigerant and now I am ice cold. Did the two button reset a couple more times to exercise the blend doors. Definitely working better once the actuators fully stroked a couple of times. At the risk of jinxing myself, ready for summer. John

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I am having the same: issue weak a/c on the driver's side. I thought my system needed a charge but when I hooked up VCDS today I had 4C (40F) at the evap and 9-12C at the passenger side foot well and dash vents. Driver's side was 27C & 29C respectively.

I'll try the two button push reset tomorrow and thanks for the info. John
Is it still working after a year? I am having the same problem, and my temps are the same. My actuators seem to be working fine. I'm not getting any error codes with my VCDS either.

I did change my heater core about 18 months ago, but I had AC after that.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Monday driving home from work in Phila to coastal NJ I saw 100F outside temp. and the sun was blaring. The a/c was struggling a bit but car was cool and comfortable cruising along at 75 mph. Average 41+ mpg for the commute, 213k miles on the car.

yoda254

TDI
2012 jetta tdi sedan
How hard is it to replace the v426 servo motor? My 2014 passat tdi sel stopped blowing cool air in the middle vents a few months back. I took it to vw hoping to was just another heater core. They said the v426 front air distribution door is jammed and all distribution air flaps are stuck facing half way. The motor needs to be replaced and the dash has to com out to get to it. They want to charge me $900 to fix it.

josiah47

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI BEW, 2012 Touareg Exec TDI CATA, 2015 Passat SEL TDI CVCA
I was having this as well, on my passat, for a year it would work and then not work. after doing the 2 button reset. now it just stuck on heat on the drivers side. this weekend I took the dash apart and I have 5 actuators in there. Have new ones on order...

josiah47

TDI
So got my new ones in; 5 x Four Seasons 73280 about $17 each at rock auto, took a chance that all of them are the same with different mounts that snap in to connect to connecting rods(B,D,E) or direct keyed connect A versions , since the actual replacement ones can get real $$. I tested the pots inside on the old ones and they all are similar as well as inside each one looked identical. installed the new ones back in the car. only one that wouldn't fit in right away was the recirc, did the 2 button resync procedure with it plugged in and then unplug when the keyed matched up with the flap key. then installed.
did 2 more 2 button resyncs and it all works so far! During my research these actuators seem to be also used in a lot of Chrysler products like the Dart as well according to the 4s website. Time to reassemble the dash...

Old part numbers:
561.907.511.A Recirc
561.907.511.A Front Vents
561.907.511.B Right temp
561.907.511.D Left temp - this was the only failed one.
561.907.511.E Defrost

New Part number to replace all 5 is above. I just removed the connectors off the old ones; pry with flat screw driver. and installed on new ones.
I got two different new ones with same part #s, different casing and insides as well.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Excellent information, assuming you don't post next week saying it's all gone south.

Yours
Vern

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Yesterday my wife told me our 15 SEL was blowing hot air from the drivers side vents with the AC on. The passenger side was working just fine. It's 5 years old but only about 45K on the odo. This car has been totally trouble free so far and only has the 1st emissions update. I did the 2 button reset and then test drove it on some errands this morning, It's working fine now, thanks Dretaylor94.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
quick update. We drove down to Boston are yesterday and the AC and heat are working perfectly. It was 50s along the coast but here in northern NH it was in the 90s when we got home!

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
what’s up guys so my 15 sel premium just started doing the hot in drivers and cold on passengers side. i’ve got to the point where i think it’s the V157 actuator up in the dash behind the. glove box. will i be able to change this actuator without taking the cash out ? i don’t know how hard it is to take the whole day out or should i just let me dealer do it.
thanks in. advance

josiah47

TDI
So got my new ones in; 5 x Four Seasons 73280 about $17 each at rock auto, took a chance that all of them are the same with different mounts that snap in to connect to connecting rods(B,D,E) or direct keyed connect A versions , since the actual replacement ones can get real $$. I tested the pots inside on the old ones and they all are similar as well as inside each one looked identical. installed the new ones back in the car. only one that wouldn't fit in right away was the recirc, did the 2 button resync procedure with it plugged in and then unplug when the keyed matched up with the flap key. then installed.
did 2 more 2 button resyncs and it all works so far! During my research these actuators seem to be also used in a lot of Chrysler products like the Dart as well according to the 4s website. Time to reassemble the dash...

Old part numbers:
561.907.511.A Recirc
561.907.511.A Front Vents
561.907.511.B Right temp
561.907.511.D Left temp - this was the only failed one.
561.907.511.E Defrost

New Part number to replace all 5 is above. I just removed the connectors off the old ones; pry with flat screw driver. and installed on new ones.
I got two different new ones with same part #s, different casing and insides as well.
So Im still getting Hot on drivers side after this. haven't looked into it yet... sometimes it works fine other times not. 2 button reset sometimes fixes it but other times not. I am thinking it also depends on what the temperature is when the car starts and it needs AC or Heat right away... so I think i'll be testing again with reader and maybe ordering a proper 561.907.511.D, going to be fun removing dash again. I am a glutton for punishment!

TDI
2015 Passat tdi
Hey. Just wanted to share some potentially helpful information to anyone who may have issue in the future.
About 2 months ago I began having that same problem where my driver side vents was blowing out extremely hot air no matter what the climate control temp was set to. All other vents in car worked fine. At first it would happen randomly, where somedays it managed to correct itself and work fine. Until about a month ago, it completely stopped working and I was getting nothing but hot air from driver side all the time. After doing a lot of researching, I discovered that you can reset the blend door motor without the VCDS by simply holding down the middle vent and AC button at the same time (attached image shows which two buttons I’m referring to) for a couple seconds while the vehicle is started. Once you release the buttons, the orange light will begin flashing on those two buttons for about 10-15 seconds while the reset takes place. Once they stop flashing, you should be good to go. I performed this reset a little less than a month ago and all my vents have been working perfectly fine ever since. Hope this info is helpful to someone.
i’ve done this a cpl times and it doesn’t change anything on my car , it suxks bc it’s hott out now and i have hot air blowing in my face and wifey is sitting all nice and cool .. lol. i gotta fix this. asap

TDI
2015 Passat
So Im still getting Hot on drivers side after this. haven't looked into it yet... sometimes it works fine other times not. 2 button reset sometimes fixes it but other times not. I am thinking it also depends on what the temperature is when the car starts and it needs AC or Heat right away... so I think i'll be testing again with reader and maybe ordering a proper 561.907.511.D, going to be fun removing dash again. I am a glutton for punishment!
Did it work yet? I don't want to pay $500 for actuators if I need to only use 2 different ones (One ones you bought and a D)
I have the 5 actuator system. A, A, B, D, E.
Rock auto has E and D but not specifically A or B. But the ones you used should be A.
If you are confused think how I feel trying to buy these things.

oilhammer

TDI
They all have the part numbers on them, right next to the "Made in China" so you know why they failed so quickly, LOL.

Your local dealer will check by your VIN, they'll normally have them all on the shelf.

TDI
2015 Passat
They all have the part numbers on them, right next to the "Made in China" so you know why they failed so quickly, LOL.

Your local dealer will check by your VIN, they'll normally have them all on the shelf.
Yeah, and thats gonna be costly. $1056.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, just like everything else in the last couple years, they went up in price. Wait until you need to replace the cooling fans, LOL.