www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 31st, 2018, 09:08   #1
caideN

Default Why do You Still Have Your MK4 TDI?

Just curious because there are a lot of 'better' cars out there in terms of technology and safety. Plus some of these mk4 tdi are getting to the age where people are spending thousands to maintain them. Not going to lie, I did. But I am hoping to put another 200k miles on mine.

For me, I commute 40-100 miles 4 days a week so fuel economy is quite important. I had a prius but it was just boring to drive. I do get stuck in some stop and go traffic and the torque makes the 5 speed easy to drive in those conditions.

I've had much more fun cars but they're just not the right cars for commuting and putting mileage on (People brag about low mileage on sports cars. People brag about high mileage on a tdi).

So what's your reason?
caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 09:15   #2
steve6
Veteran Member

Fuel mileage for commuter car. Little commitment to the car if it dies.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 09:17   #3
Mapachurro

Fuel Economy: 32-36 :-/

Good question, especially when doing cost/benefit analyses on repairs :-/

To me, these cars are a no-brainer: the fuel economy is good to great, depending on your mods and your foot, they're torquey and fun, and most of the high-mileage maintenance is relatively low cost DIY aesthetic stuff (headlights, headliners, etc).

And then, if you want 'more' out of them, the upgrades are pretty straightforward; different for the ALH and the BEW, but straightforward nonetheless.

All of this presupposes, however, that you've got one in fairly decent shape to start with, or a parts car for cheap...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Mapachurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 09:24   #4
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 50mpg on B100

Because it refuses to die. And it gets amazing fuel mileage.

UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 09:42   #5
drozia

I have a 2003 ASV Toledo TDI. Although it has an old technology it still lives longer and longer because reliable tdi engine gives too much power when tuned and saves lesser fuel consumption.

SM-N910C cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Last edited by drozia; July 31st, 2018 at 10:43.
drozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 09:57   #6
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

I keep mine for several reasons:

1. Out of spite. There has been a constant and deliberate attempt by government authorities in North America to keep diesel cars out of the hands of consumers. F them.

2. Simplicity. I find it easy to work on.

3. Availability of parts. Since these cars were produced in the tens of millions, there are plenty of parts.

4. 170 HP, 260 lb-ft of torque, 5.6 L/100km (42 MPG). It's tuned.

5. I won't buy a used car (someone else's problem), so as long as I can keep this going, it saves me $40,000.

6. Insurance on an old car is cheaper where I live. My car is $1300 per year, wife's 2015 Golf is $2000 per year. We have the same coverage, and same safe-driving discount (meaning if we swapped cars, the insurance would be the same for each car).

I just rebuilt the whole engine because the timing belt slipped and caused some damage. I did way more work than necessary, but now it's like new! I'll be driving it for many years to come!
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:27   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I like MKIVs so much I have two:

And my two sons each drive one.
This is one of the reasons: Shot today in my Wagon after a weekend trip to NC.

I think the ALH in a MKIV is one of, if not the best, diesel car made. Ever. Super economical, fun to drive (more fun with some mods), durable, dead reliable. Not much to dislike unless you have to sit in the back seat for a long time.

I've bought a bunch of cars to replace my MKIV Wagon. I've owned that car longer, and for far more miles, than any other car. And it's still my first choice when deciding what to drive each morning.
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:46   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Uniqueness, mileage, and I like the VW package overall.
Better is a relative term.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:53   #9
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

We have 2 MkIV's, one is a 1.8T. The kids like driving them and I like not
having to worry about minor dings and being able to diagnose and fix most of
their maintenance issues. They both have over 200k miles. Gotta love that.
Old July 31st, 2018, 11:09   #10
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

I don't own a MkIV (anymore) but I would if I needed a car and found one that wasn't totally trashed. I would especially consider Jetta wagon.

The reasons that have been listed already are excellent, especially the one comment I can totally get behind regarding government opposition to diesel.

One other thing to consider is privacy, and new vehicles with services like OnStar or built in WiFi are privacy busters to me. We already have problems with Alexa et al services invading privacy in the home, I do not want to have these types of things in the car with me and with the new cars are coming with that stuff from the factory.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 12:12   #11
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Price to buy the car, maintenance costs, and economy.

I do ~70 miles a day, plus any other traveling, so getting 40+mpg helps a lot.

I came to this car after my prior car was getting ~15mpg on premium unleaded, and the change in economy was effectively a healthy pay raise.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 12:35   #12
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Because I am stubborn and this car is paid for. It doesn't get the stellar FE it did with a lower power tune, but D2 is no longer $4.75 a gallon like it was when I bought the car,
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Vented, No Kitty, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, TurboLabAmerica Hybrid 15-17/56, VCDS Hex+CAN, S-B Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Koni Orange, New Paint. Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 12:45   #13
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

At least partly stubbornness on my part - why buy another car to replace this one when I haven't "used it up" yet? (yes, I'm on my 3rd 01M in 365K miles, I've filed it under "wear parts" )

Besides that, how many other cars are out there that are as fun to drive and simultaneously get the kind of MPG (stock or modded) as a TDI? Truly a "have your cake and eat it too" scenario.

All these years in and I'm still blown away by how hard this thing pulls on a top-gear acceleration run, all the while still making 42-43mpg. Can't quite match IBW's trip-odo shot above, but I do have pictures of two 700-mile tanks stashed somewhere.
Rob Mayercik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 14:03   #14
McGuillicuddy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6 L/100km

Because a simple, reliable manual TDI wagon is the right tool for the job for many, many applications.

Fuel economy - check
Space in the back for hockey equipment/kid's stuff/camping gear - check
Seats fold down large enough to fit my mountain bike inside the car - check
Enough torque to be interesting to drive - check
Simple enough that can service many things myself - check
Parts relatively cheap and accessible - check
Cheap to maintain - check

My wagon is rust free and only has about 80K miles on it (was literally owned by a little old lady until I bought it earlier this year) so it is a bit of a rare bird, but I plan on driving it for at least another 6 years. I had a lovely 2013 GTI for a couple years and I sold it to go to a MK4 wagon and I couldn't be happier with the decision. The ONLY thing I miss from my GTI are the headlights. They were great and the MK4 sucks large. If I could straighten that out without breaking the bank I'd be pretty happy.
McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 15:05   #15
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

I'd like to get a TDI wagon one day. It's what I wanted originally, but when I was buying my Golf, the wagons were an extra $6000. I couldn't justify that.

I feel like I should own an ALH, if I were to get another TDI. How can you be a TDI fanatic and not have an ALH? Right?