Should I buy extended warranty for 2014 TDi Jetta?

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
So back in Oct I bought a new Jetta TDi, I am first owner. It has DSg transmission and premium package.

I have only had domestic gas trucks and gas wranglers prior so cars and diesels and imports all new to me.

I crossed over 28K miles couple weeks ago and realized the factory warranty will be over probably first quarter, or sooner, for me of 2016.

So my question is should I buy an extended warranty? If so, where is a good place to buy one for what it covers vs what it cost?

Also, outside of following the service manual for maintenance any other tips for having it last a long time and prevent possible issues?

Whole ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure mindset is what I am looking for. Since i have no exp. with diesels and don't really understand much regards to them just looking for a simple list of what and when to do it.

Thanks for any and all help

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Also, anyone in or around Columbia, SC have a shop they recommend I can take to for all oil changes and other scheduled maintenance? I would like to get quality work and avoid dealerships since their prices seem higher for lower quality work.

beam_panhard_tdi_2013

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6MT Premium
So back in Oct I bought a new Jetta TDi, I am first owner. It has DSg transmission and premium package.
I have only had domestic gas trucks and gas wranglers prior so cars and diesels and imports all new to me.
I crossed over 28K miles couple weeks ago and realized the factory warranty will be over probably first quarter, or sooner, for me of 2016.
So my question is should I buy an extended warranty? If so, where is a good place to buy one for what it covers vs what it cost?
Also, outside of following the service manual for maintenance any other tips for having it last a long time and prevent possible issues?
Whole ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure mindset is what I am looking for. Since i have no exp. with diesels and don't really understand much regards to them just looking for a simple list of what and when to do it.
Thanks for any and all help
I bought (actually forced by the d*mned dealer financial person) extended warranty for 1 year (during my payment period) and cancelled it afterwards. Personally it's the same as all other insurances whose main goal is not really taking care of customers but making sure the insurance company itself makes stable money. I found it a tragedy and shame when people have to rely on extended warranty to be able to drive their cars.
If you look carefully what they cover, you'd realize it's mostly about things that aren't fatal ---- such as unlimited light bulb replacement......:rolleyes:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey

Whole ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure mindset is what I am looking for. Since i have no exp. with diesels and don't really understand much regards to them just looking for a simple list of what and when to do it. Thanks for any and all help
Don't do it. Need more? OK you will never get your money out of the warranty. I could write a book, so many shenanigans they will play in getting paid for a claim, difficult and/or denied. By all means if for some odd reason you decide to ignore my advice, MAKE SURE:

You read and understand EVERY word on the contract (exclusions), BEFORE YOU BUY (most will hide it from you until you buy it). There are a TON of exclusions. MAKE SURE you keep maintenance records and don't do ANY modification to the car of any kind. Most people selling these policies (service plans not really warranty) do NOT "underwrite" the policy, meaning they are middlemen and not responsible. So you have a problem they will say gee sorry, not us it's them. That is why they will not show you a plan, because they will shop your car around and get quotes and then sell you what (fly by night outfit) they find.... SO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE getting the plan from. Google them, BBB and read the complaints. The NAME of the company you buy from is a front often. Also if you finance it through them, that is a third party, another company. You have a claim denial and you want to stop paying, car wreaked, stolen, you might still have to pay the plan! LAST, YOU CAN NOT SUE THEM.... Often they have waivers where you waive your right to sue; you can only do binding arbitration (through a company they pre-selected, which you have to pay up front a fee, like $1000, up front, to start the arbitration. You lose that and your repair and the cost of the plan if you lose.... Here is consumer reports:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/12/resist-the-extended-warranty-pitch/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ties-for-cars-are-an-expensive-game/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rth-buying-an-extended-car-warranty/index.htm

You are best to trade or sell your car in for a new one with factory warranty. Even VW will play games honoring warranties.... Consumer reports says you are best to avoid extended warranties (service plans) and get a reliable MAKE and MODEL, do regular maintenance. That is best. Sadly VW is likely not the reliable brand Consumer Reports would likey recommend high on their list. However reliability is not everything? Meaning, we take the risk and financial burden to drive the car we want.

THE GOOD NEWS.... VW has extended the HPFP warranty and Exhaust Flap to 10 years and 120,000. OH BTW these aftermarket service plans know this and will not pay for things the OEM covers. Their planes will always expire before these warranties drop off. Also if you get on the web, many "articles" saying how great service plans are, really are Ad's. Many "BEST Warranty Companies" hits are bogus. It's a mess and very deceptive stuff. Take the $2000 or $3000 you will pay for your 36,000 mile car just out of "bumper to bumper" OEM warranty, save it for a rainy day. You have other OEM warranties going well past 36,000 miles, safety, exhaust and body warranties, plus extended VW warranties going out 80K to 120K. You can get policies on higher mile cars, you are looking at $6,000 or much more. Never the less most aftermarket warranties will try and make sure they overlap your OEM extended warranties. The car is only worth a lot less at high miles. Take that $6000 and trade your car in for another if it breaks big time. Get rid of it. Bottom line these policies are at best POOR VALUE, at worst, outright scams, garbage. There is a CHANCE it will be worth it is slim.

Last edited:

BchViking60

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
To each their own. I purchased an extended warranty for my 2014 Jetta TDI. In fact, I have purchased extended warranties on every car that I have owned for the past 25 years. It all goes back to the numerous issues that I had with my Dodge Shadow. True, for the past 30 years I have owned Dodge, Chrysler, and Chevy automobiles and trucks and had issues with all of them. Today, I own a 2013 Toyota and my Jetta. I do not think that I will need to use the extended warrant on these vehicles because the quality is so much better then my prior vehicles. However, I still like the "peace of mind."

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
To each their own. I purchased an extended warranty for my 2014 Jetta TDI. In fact, I have purchased extended warranties on every car that I have owned for the past 25 years. It all goes back to the numerous issues that I had with my Dodge Shadow. True, for the past 30 years I have owned Dodge, Chrysler, and Chevy automobiles and trucks and had issues with all of them. Today, I own a 2013 Toyota and my Jetta. I do not think that I will need to use the extended warrant on these vehicles because the quality is so much better then my prior vehicles. However, I still like the "peace of mind."
It sounds like you purchased peace of mind but never had any claims exceeding the amount you paid for the warranty (actually pre-paid service plan)/

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Whether or not you buy a warranty probably depends on your preference of having one premium payment or a monthly insurance payment, or no monthly cost but the risk of a larger repair bill all at once. Some people don't want unexpected expenses and therefore feel the warranty is worthwhile. Others (me included) are happier not helping the warranty company make money, and are willing to take the risk of incurring a repair cost.

I've had little experience with service warranties, but I've talked with mechanics about them and it can take some negotiation to make sure some repairs are covered by the plan. And some have a deductible.

Your car should be pretty reliable, so if it were me I'd not worry about a long-term warranty. The HPFP is covered through 120K miles, and the only other consistent issue with these cars is intercooler icing, which I don't think you'll encounter in SC.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
What is your history with cars like..as far as ownership experience wise...
Some folks frett the small stuff...and run up big bill chasing seemingly minior stuff...to each his own...
IMO self insuring is the way to go...no insurance company looses $$...they have administrative costs and the largest expense, commissions to the seller....
By theroy you insure against the very $$$, things like your house burning down, but you self insure for the minior stuff....
If you drive so many miles your factory warrenty is gone before your payment, you are likely VERY UPSIDEDOWN on the loan...means you have a big risk, and likely made way too small of a down payment IMO unless you know what you are doing...
Let's face it..if the payments end close to the warrenty ending...you have $$ freeed up...but to have payments, and the typical factory warrenty ending...ouch.
But folks seem to love 60+ month terms...but often many $$$ warranties include prepayment of some services...like one clutch, etc...so it is not so cut and dried....
I have always had good experiences self insuring...but I don't wail on my cars...
Folks that do, might come out ahead...but the insurance company must make up for those folks with higher rates....

Last edited: