Sensor tweak

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
KFC/ Fat mod

I've done this with one of three 96 B4's. Mpg increase of 20% using B100. I used the 18k resistors. I will be doing the other two later.

Bradtholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Doc_Oc said:
Did you get a CEL with the resistor left in the pin 7? I had exactly the same thing happening on mine. But with the resistor in pos 7 I would get a cel and gp light flashing. I didn't have vagcom though to see what the code is.
Hmm, I just tried this tonight, resistor in the grey/green wire at pin 2, and a resistor in the yellow/blue from pin 7. Car barely started, didn't even get to try and pull out of the driveway before it stalled out on me. Do you know what you've done wrong yet?

Brad

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I still didn't figure that out. You are the third that sais the same thing though. I will try and put the resistors again soon.
One thing that might have made it worst is that my IQ was at 8 when I did this. Now it is back at 2.6-3 so I will see what the result is. I gotta sort my computer as well so I can scan the car if it throughs a code.

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 2014 Passat, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
Well...I read thru all the links associated with this mod. Last Thurs I tried it on my 03 wagon...put the 2.2K on the Gray/Green wire (#2), car wouldn't start and threw a code. Took resistor off and all is well. Put same resistor on #7 Yell/blue and all seems fine. Drove it over 300 miles this weekend...apparently my mileage is DOWN approx 5mpg. I have scangauge II installed...monitoring realtime and tank/etc. And notice this: my Incoming Air Temp on Scangauge now climbs rapidly when I'm climbing a hill! Goes all the way from what the air temp 'really' is up into and above 120deg F...then rapidly goes down when I back off the pedal, though I didn't notice any performance diff other than the noticable mileage decrease overall. STRANGE! I would think the incoming Air Temp would read LOW due to the resistor being on the IAT wire? I will prob pull the resistor tonight unless I find any further info. Just thought I'd toss in my 2cents worth.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
And notice this: my Incoming Air Temp on Scangauge now climbs rapidly when I'm climbing a hill! Goes all the way from what the air temp 'really' is up into and above 120deg F...then rapidly goes down when I back off the pedal, though I didn't notice any performance diff other than the noticable mileage decrease overall. STRANGE! I would think the incoming Air Temp would read LOW due to the resistor being on the IAT wire?
Do you have the resistor in-line with the actual sensor? If you you are merely shifting the "reading" the ECU sees and it should climb when you are on the throttle and drop when not...the intercooler is only so efficient at cooling the air off of the turbo...however it SHOULD read lower than actual based on the amount of resistance you've added.

I have the IAT sensor completely bypassed so my air temp is always a nice -30F.

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
resistors

Yes, the resistor is in series with the IAT sensor...cut and installed on wire #7 (yellow/blue I recall)...tried to do that on Fuel Temp (wire #2) but car wouldn't start...so I have to wonder if these are the right wires for my engine. I can see the idea of just 'bypassing' (or removing) the sensor completly...but in series should work just fine per the resistance chart. And there seems to be lots of confusion on these threads (there are at least 3 of them concerning this mod) on which wires for the ALH models. Yours is an older model (which are the only ones I have found on the threads where this mod works)....would love to hear from anybody with an ALH who IS getting better performance with this mod. I MIGHT try the 18K resistors tonight and see what happens.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
My car seems to be getting better performance with the fuel temp sensor only. I took the resistor off the IAT because of cel (more details in FAT thread from a couple weeks back). As others have stated, the doggishness after driving for a while is no longer noticeable. This may be more evident for me because of the climate here. I've got no mileage data, but my read on the fuel gage has me thinking same or better mileage, for what that's worth. I'm going to leave the resistor in for a while longer and get some good mileage data.

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
Honeydew, so which wires did you do exactly? (and what year is your car)?? I can't remember and dont' feel like going back thru all the diff threads on this...I THOUGHT the fuel was wire #2...but when I tried that one my car wouldn't start. So currently I only have the IAT on wire #7. Also, are you using 2.2k or 18k as is also discussed here?

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
mchapek said:
Honeydew, so which wires did you do exactly? (and what year is your car)?? I can't remember and dont' feel like going back thru all the diff threads on this...I THOUGHT the fuel was wire #2...but when I tried that one my car wouldn't start. So currently I only have the IAT on wire #7. Also, are you using 2.2k or 18k as is also discussed here?
My car is a 2003 alh wagon 5-speed. I used a 2.2K resistor on fuel temp sensor pin 7- yellow/blue stripe. The other wire Kerma suggested for fuel temp was pin 4, so using 2 might have been your problem. My car idled fine with a resistor in IAT pin 1- brown/blue stripe but threw a cel so I removed the IAT resistor before driving. IIRC, the IAT was only done because Kerma's engine ran rough without both done. Mine runs fine with FTS only. Greenkeeper with the older Passat has his rigged up differently with good results and 18K, different engine though. Page 1 of this thread gives more details on pins and wires. Please post your results, good luck!

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I had previously only doen the Fuel temp sensor and since its been warming up going into summer I have had a couple of CELs "fuel temp sensor implausabile signal" so I did the Air temp sensor as well, I also redid the fuel temp sensor with a switch that bypasses the resistor so I can time the car correctly after TB changes or IP swaps, I also put the switch on the
air temp sensor resistor. Now I can flip 2 switches to go from "Cold" to "normal".

What do I see with Vag-Com? Well, its about 74* out today at idle requested start of injection with the resistors out of the loop was 2.2 BTDC, with the resistorc doing their thing it is 4.4 BTDC. The mod does change timing.

The bad news is that while I no longer have the fuel temp sensor CEL I do have an un-eraseable MAP CEL, even if I have the switch for it in the "resistor bypassed" position :confused::confused::confused: Grrrrrrr.....

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Jack, the map cel I got was:
16490 manifold/ barometric pressure sensor

Is this the same cel you are getting? Mine cleared w/ vag-com after removing the IAT resistor via bullet splices.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Honeydew said:
Jack, the map cel I got was:
16490 manifold/ barometric pressure sensor

Is this the same cel you are getting?
That's the one :mad: I find it odd that it won;t go away when I flip the switch that bypasses the resistor. I did just cut some zipties/electrical tape and move things around and the CEL went away, then it came back and now its gone LOL It doesn't seem to matter if the resistor is bypassed or not, but I know the resistor is working by the air temp readings in Vag-Com.

I'm going to a friends house, fingers crossed for no CEL.

Oh, did you Cut the brown/blue wire or the green/gray wire? I cut the Brown/blue one, fwiw.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
jackbombay said:
Oh, did you Cut the brown/blue wire or the green/gray wire? I cut the Brown/blue one, fwiw.
I also cut the brown/blue. Maybe it has something to so with the switch bypass? I used bullet splices so the resistor can just be removed out of series for the same reasons as you (TB, IP)

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
According to my multi meter the resistance drops to nil when the switch is flipped so I don't see how that could be an issue.

Oh yea, limp mode when I just left the house, I cut out the whole deal, soldering iron is warming up now.

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
Honeydew said:
My car is a 2003 alh wagon 5-speed. I used a 2.2K resistor on fuel temp sensor pin 7- yellow/blue stripe. The other wire Kerma suggested for fuel temp was pin 4, so using 2 might have been your problem. My car idled fine with a resistor in IAT pin 1- brown/blue stripe but threw a cel so I removed the IAT resistor before driving. IIRC, the IAT was only done because Kerma's engine ran rough without both done. Mine runs fine with FTS only. Greenkeeper with the older Passat has his rigged up differently with good results and 18K, different engine though. Page 1 of this thread gives more details on pins and wires. Please post your results, good luck!
OK, so let me get this straight: both you and JackBomBay both have 03 ALH's (like mine).... and you currently have a 2.2K resistor in series on the yellow/blue wire (pin #7) connector coming off the fuel pump. Thats the one I had my resistor in until last night...just took it out...as I had noticably worse mileage (around 5mpg), AND my Incoming AIR temp was fluctuating on my scangauge II as I climbed hills (taken from the OBD port) as I drive. I had thought wire 7 was the IAT, not the Fuel temp. So you think (know?) pin 7 is fuel?? (or was that Kerma...dang I am still so confused after reading thru all these threads on this again)...do you have a resistor on pin 4? What IS pin 4...IAT or fuel? Sorry to be so anal on this...but I"ve cut and soldered/ unsoldered 3 wires now...and would LOVE to get it right and GET a tiny bit more mileage AND have the car run good with NO cel's thrown!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
mchapek, I agree this can be a frustrating mod, and stressful cutting into the harness and working with those awkward little wires. Here is what Kerma posted:
KERMA said:
Fuel temp sensor: pin 7 = yellow/bluestripe
pin 4 = brown/blue stripe

IAT sensor: pin 1: brown/ blue
pin 2: Grey/ Green
This matched what I observed on my car. Choose one of the wires listed above per sensor for the resistor. Leave the other wire alone. Choice is yours. Yes, both Jack and I used the same wires and resistors (2.2K): fts y/bl and iat br/bl. I chose pin 7 for the FTS because it was easier to spot and pin 1 for the IAT for no particular reason. You only have to put a resistor on one wire for each sensor and must choose which. Currently, I am running only one resistor total, a 2.2K installed on the FTS pin 7 wire, yellow/blue stripe. I removed the resistor from IAT pin 1 right away because of a CEL. Aside from all that, pin 7 must be FTS because there aren't 7 pins on the IAT harness, IIRC. Mine seems to be working, so if you want to duplicate that just use one 2.2K resistor total, installed on the FTS yellow/blue stripe wire.:)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Honeydew said:
My car seems to be getting better performance with the fuel temp sensor only.
Mine too...i removed the IAT resistor yesterday and have better performance. with resistor my timing was 55 and without it is 65... i keep the fuel temp resistor, works great!:)

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm....interesting stuff.

I removed the 2.2k from my wire #7 last week (yel/blu) as I had noticably worse mileage....(about 5mpg)...AND, my incoming air temp measured on my scangauge II fluctuates (climbs) as the car climbed every hill. And STRANGE STUFF...now that I have the resistor pulled out and the wire nicely soldered back together, the incoming air temp STILL does the fluctuation! It never did it before I attempted the mod. But my mileage is back to normal..I got 51mpg on the highway this weekend at about 65-70mph (did almost a 1000 miles).

Not sure what to do now..might try the 'other wire' for the FTS (#4)....you never know..but it really shouldn't matter...as the ecu is just measuring the voltage of the loop I am assuming...which will vary based on the resistance of the sensor (and the resistor we are adding). I know it was HOT down in Ariz...well over 100 on Sat when I was down there...car seemed to run ok.

Well anyway, thanks for the info...will have to ponder this and decide if I want to keep playing (any chance to get an extra mile or 2 per gal and I am all over it..so I imagine I will try some more before I give up).

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
mchapek said:
I have the resistor pulled out and the wire nicely soldered back together, the incoming air temp STILL does the fluctuation! It never did it before I attempted the mod.
Before the resistor mod your IAT didn't fluctuate?

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
No...(or at least I didnt' notice it...and I assume I would have...as I had the incoming air temp AND water temp as 2 of my 4 displays on my scangauge II. Seems very strange that it does this still...AFTER the resistor was removed. I work in electronics...and I have NO EXPLANATION on what could be the cause here (my solder job is good). And actually, I was on pin 7...which is FTS , not IAT (right?)...however..I did TRY a 2.2k resistor on the pin 2 wire first (thats when the car wouldn't start)...so I immediatly pulled that resistor, soldered the wire back together and verified it started and ran fine...however, I suspect THIS could be the cause of my air temp fluctuation...and not the FTS mod. But either way it still doesn't make sense.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Yesterday I was driving on I-95 in a heavy rain and got my first cel with the resistor in the fts- Fuel Temp Sensor implausible. This might have something to do with water infiltration of my crimped-on bullet splices half-azz wrapped in tape. Since it needed redo, I went ahead and plugged in a section of wire in place of the resistor for testing. Today on the same section of highway as yesterday, with the cruise set at the same speed (75mph), my scan gauge readings were ~5mpgs better than previous (yesterday and day before). With the resistor the range was 33.x-38.x and today it was 37.x-42.5, mostly above 40mpg. The LOD seemed to be running slightly higher today, a/c on low/recirc both days. MPGs on the access road with cruise set at 59mph were 50-53.2 today vs. ~40-45 previously.

For me the mpg loss is not worth the modest power increase, I think the resistor will stay out of my car for now.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I think you guys are getting the wrong wires on the MAP/IAT sensor..

The sensor has 4 wire:

ground
+5v
MAP signal out
IAT signal out

The IAT signel is just a NTC resistor connected betweend ground and IAT out, hile the MAP signal uses the +5v and ground to create a signal depending on the pressure..

So dont put a resistor in series with the ground wire!!!

I don't know wich wires on the sensor represent these wires, but don't be lazy and look it up..

As for the fuel temp sensor I think you also have a downside because cold fuel is more dense than hot fuel, so when your ecu think you have nice cold fuel it will inject a smaller volume to get the same amount of fuel mass..

But the problem is you are injecting warm fuel, so actually you get better timing BUT less injected mass of fuel, wich can explain the imaginairy loss of mileage..

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Rub87 said:
...As for the fuel temp sensor I think you also have a downside because cold fuel is more dense than hot fuel, so when your ecu think you have nice cold fuel it will inject a smaller volume to get the same amount of fuel mass..

But the problem is you are injecting warm fuel, so actually you get better timing BUT less injected mass of fuel, wich can explain the imaginairy loss of mileage..
That is an interesting theory, the general consensus on this thread and this one is that the ecu retards timing as FTS readings increase to reduce NOx for emissions A change in the actual injected fuel quantity certainly would help explain things. I am too lazy to test this but would be interested to see the findings of others. If this mod is shown to skew scan gauge mpg readings that would be good info for many members as well. I am not yet convinced of this because calculations at my last fill-up corresponded to scan gauge.

Last edited:

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87...hmm..interesting info on the IAT wires....(I don't have the Bently svc manual..so I have to rely on others for pin/wire #'s). THAT would explain why our IAT resistors don't work (and the car won't start/throws a code). So...I tried again last night (hadn't read your comment yet)...figured what they hay...there's a few wires left in my IP harness I HAVEN'T cut yet!

So...I put a 2.2K resistor on wire #4 and #1 (4 being Fuel Temp, 1 for IAT). Again, car wouldn't start and threw a code...so I pulled the resistor on wire #1 and all is well. And THIS TIME, I show actual better mileage (to be fair, it's only one trip to work)..but I drive it exactly the same every day, and my scangauge always shows between 45 and 46mpg on the to-work leg..I get a bit better on the way home as there is more downhill). Anyway...this morning I got 47.7 mpg on the outbound leg! I hope thats not a fluke! Man oh man..2+ more mpg would really be something! And it wasn't even that warm out..prob about 55F this morning. It will be in the 70's on the home-leg tonight...will see what I get for my round-trip mpg...usually around 46.5. (And then need to see how it holds for a full tank before I can say for sure one way or another). MAN I LOVE THIS CAR! (you just can't tinker w/ a gasser like this)

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't trust the scangauge as the sensors we are tampering with are what the scangauge probably uses to compute fuel usage. The old-fashioned pen-and-paper method is best, after 3 or more tanks of course!

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
Roger that...we shall see soon enough though! If there's no actual increase, I will pull the resistor eventually. Keeping my fingers crossed!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
mchapek said:
So...I put a 2.2K resistor on wire #4 and #1 (4 being Fuel Temp, 1 for IAT). Again, car wouldn't start and threw a code...so I pulled the resistor on wire #1 and all is well. And THIS TIME, I show actual better mileage
I've been putting this off too long. Fuel mileage in July and August always sucks for me, and this first tank in the month of July is going to be terrible.... my guess is 35-36 mpg, down from 40-42 the last couple months. Hot Hot Hot weather, heavy holiday traffic, and new tires are all conspiring against me. So maybe a trip to RS or Fry's this evening...

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Please l;et us know how your mod goes! Here in Norcal it's very hot as well and I was looking to improve my mileage with a chip and something innovative!

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI (Mk4) 1.9L ALH 5spd [VNT-17/22 Turbo, RC4, PP520 Nozzles]
Im gonna try this mod but there has been too much confusion here.
Kerma posted:
Fuel temp sensor: pin 7 = yellow/bluestripe
pin 4 = brown/blue stripe

IAT sensor: pin 1: brown/ blue
pin 2: Grey/ Green
And to put a 2.2k ohm resistor in series (inline) with ONE of the wires for each sensor. But people are getting CEL codes if they choose the IAT pin 1 (brown/blue) wire. And non-starts when using pin 4 (brown/blue) on the FTS.

Why?

Cause:http://www.geocities.com/tech4tdi/pages/map.html
Pin 1 is the ground wire for the MAP/IAT sensor. People forget that it is a shared sensor. So if you put a resistor on pin 1 (brown/blue) for the IAT sensor, not only do you lower the temp reading, but you also mess up the "Manifold Pressure" reading (MAP).

I don't have a wiring diagram for the Fuel Temp Sensor (FTS) but I think it is safe to say that the FTS harness has more than just a temp sensor. So which one do you think the ground is? Probably the (brown/blue) again right?

This is what Rub87 was saying about not cutting the ground wire.

I will try this mod for myself soon and will post or edit any changes.

Who here has had success with this? Either power, smoke, or econony.

Who has done it correctly and have failed to improve?

What truly is the best resistance for each sensor?

What has been the recorded temp readings for the Fuel and Air with what resistance?

Anybody use variable resistors?

Last edited: