CR140 Stage 3

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
It's not out of the question. I've got my brass synchros ready to fit. If that doesn't cure it for good I may consider going back to DMF
Edit: 02M and 02Q synchros don't match. DMF back in action for this thing.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TDIrulz

TDI
Hello everyone, for those who have replaced CR140 turbo with the CR170 unit, can you comment on how it pulls at low revs compared to stock ?

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Hello everyone, for those who have replaced CR140 turbo with the CR170 unit, can you comment on how it pulls at low revs compared to stock ?
It pulls just fine, you have to remember this turbo comes factory on cars overseas, so this is not really going "big turbo". More like going with the turbo that should have been installed from the factory lol

TDIrulz

TDI
Thanks. Does anyone know what are the differences between 03L 253 016 G and 03L 253 019 M ?
For european cars I found 03L 253 056 C (CBBB) and 03L 253 010 E/F (CFGB) turbo codes ?

Also are there any major VW tuners with dealers in Europe which have an off the shelf tune for this Stage 3 ?

Last edited:

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
The CR170 turbo is the GTD turbo. I'm not sure if they have a similar off the shelf tune for the CR170 turbo, but check out darkside developments. They are UK based tuner and probably have the most powerful TDI's on the globe.

TDIrulz

TDI
Alright, so what are the differences between 03L 253 016 G and 03L 253 019 M ? Because they are given as two different options in the original post.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
See the first post of this thread. JFettig posted all the details of this build. It would seem most ppl myself included used the 03L 253 016 G turbo.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Alright, so what are the differences between 03L 253 016 G and 03L 253 019 M ? Because they are given as two different options in the original post.
He says in the first post that the difference is the "older style flat face outlet" on the M. It also seems that most use the 016 G model which is the most current style and probably what is on the cars in the EU.

TDIrulz

TDI
So it's basically only a difference in piping, not the turbo itself, e.g. it's the same performance for all units. Thanks for the clarification.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So it's basically only a difference in piping, not the turbo itself, e.g. it's the same performance for all units. Thanks for the clarification.
The compressor housing itself is different. you can get either but you have to have the appropriate outlet adapter(plastic or metal depending) that bolts on.

TDIrulz

TDI
The compressor housing itself is different. you can get either but you have to have the appropriate outlet adapter(plastic or metal depending) that bolts on.
Thanks, but the compressor itself is the same, right ? That is, each turbo type performs the same and requires the same tune ?

Also thanks for your great contribution :)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I also had a uk Cr118 bhp CAGA and now i have a 143 Bhp euro seat exeo also with same CAGA engine and they had same turbos, now i have a CR170 Bhp turbo on and i am working on a tune and dpf delete map for a gtb2260vk turbo with a 3" full exaust and 4 Bar map sensor, a CP3 high pressure pump and a few more bits and bobs: FMIC, 170 Bhp intake manifold, tubular/custom exhaust manifold, sachs SRE organic clutch, etc... It should be a lot of fun when its done...

george_tdi

TDI
Does anyone know which of the two OEM plastic parts in the picture is the upgradable part (or maybe both ?), when converting an euro CR140 to CR170 ?

I've been told at least one of them has a larger interior diameter on the CR170 engine, being less restrictive, although they look the same on the outside.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know which of the two OEM plastic parts in the picture is the upgradable part (or maybe both ?), when converting an euro CR140 to CR170 ?

I've been told at least one of them has a larger interior diameter on the CR170 engine, being less restrictive, although they look the same on the outside.
Both are what we, in the US, have to upgrade/change out when we do the CR170. Both can be purchased from a club sponsor >>> https://www.tunemyeuro.com/cr170-tu...bow-adapter-for-cr-stage-3-turbo-3c0129654aj/ and here is video of the top part install

The bottom part is the "Turbo Dampener" which can also needs upgraded and I think I see most people using the from Borg (also available from Tune My Euro (https://www.tunemyeuro.com/turbo-dampener-for-cr-tdi-golf-and-jetta-03l131111q/) but I think Neuspeed also has one that some use, not sure on part number for that one.

george_tdi

TDI
The bottom part is the "Turbo Dampener" which can also needs upgraded and I think I see most people using the from Borg but I think Neuspeed also has one that some use, not sure on part number for that one.
Thanks, you mean upgraded from OEM CR170 to larger aftermarket ?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, you mean upgraded from OEM CR170 to larger aftermarket ?
Sorry, it needs to be upgrade if going from CR140 to CR170 (which is what that Borg part is for) or I think there is also a Neuspeed part that some people opt to go with. I've only used the Borg damper and don't know what the difference OR why you'd do Neuspeed over the Borg part.

Drebin

TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Sorry, it needs to be upgrade if going from CR140 to CR170 (which is what that Borg part is for) or I think there is also a Neuspeed part that some people opt to go with. I've only used the Borg damper and don't know what the difference OR why you'd do Neuspeed over the Borg part.
You can reuse the damper from the CR140. Only the compressor inlet and hose that connects to it needs replaced.

george_tdi

TDI
That would be the part indicated by the red arrow in the image ? For european cars, that part and the hose to the air filter are identical to the CR170. The turbo damper (green) however is different, but all the rest of the hoses up to the throttle body are also identical. I've since checked :)

Last edited:

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Had a quick question that I haven't found an exact answer for; I'm finishing up my cr170 turbo install with a malone stage 3.5 tune...I had bought an egt spacer but my cr170 turbo came with a euro egt sensor already in it. Do I need to remove that sensor and install my original one with the egt spacer, or will the already installed sensor work on my US spec car?

Many thanks!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Had a quick question that I haven't found an exact answer for; I'm finishing up my cr170 turbo install with a malone stage 3.5 tune...I had bought an egt spacer but my cr170 turbo came with a euro egt sensor already in it. Do I need to remove that sensor and install my original one with the egt spacer, or will the already installed sensor work on my US spec car?

Many thanks!
So they sent the turbo on manifold with a sensor installed? If it's in and the plug is the same, I think you should just plug it in and keep going. Where did the kit come from?

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
So they sent the turbo on manifold with a sensor installed? If it's in and the plug is the same, I think you should just plug it in and keep going. Where did the kit come from?
Not a kit. I bought a low mileage bv43a "cr170" turbo from the UK

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax

Many thanks!
How did you get a Malone 3.5 Tune? I tried to buy it about a year ago and they wouldn’t sell it to me because it’s too smoky. They would only sell a stage III.

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
How did you get a Malone 3.5 Tune? I tried to buy it about a year ago and they wouldn’t sell it to me because it’s too smoky. They would only sell a stage III.
I've had all of this bought for a few years now. Totaled the original car and just bought a new one so its all going on it.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I've had all of this bought for a few years now. Totaled the original car and just bought a new one so its all going on it.
Isn’t the tune tied to the original car file and VIN?

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Isn’t the tune tied to the original car file and VIN?
I think the tune is tied to the original car and VIN. Different ECU and immo. The Flashzilla will only unblock or open up if you write the stock file to the car. After doing that you can use the Flashzilla in other car. So if he didn´t do that he would have to send it to Malone to unblock or get another Flashzilla. Also Malone dosen´t sell stage 3.5 anymore

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
I kept the ecu from the last car. It has immo delete so I’m sure I can swap it into new one. If not, I’m sure I can get something worked out with the tuner.

Anyway, so no one knows if the Egt sensor from Europe will work? I think I’m going to try it and see.