need views on passat TDi

JPC

Hi I am a longtime vw owner going to a passat next and heve hit a snag as a few people have told me of troubles with the passat? It seems some of them had a poor electrical system, are these the ones made in the early 90's in Mexico? I was told there was noproblem with the diesel engine , but the car had some bugs. Is this a isolated issue and do the mid 90's Passat TDI pass the test of time, also are the cars built in Germany of a higher standard. Many thanks for your help. TKS JPC

chuckbrush

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 96 Deep Red
Hi JPC,

There does seem to be a lot of electrical problems, and gremlins. I think that all Passats were made in Germany. Your choices for diesel, in the States, are 96, 97,and 2004.5. The popular assumption is that the new passat is better because it is built on an Audi platform. I don't personally know if this is true. Of the 96 and 97 variety, I believe that the 97 has some bugs sorted out that were in the 96's. Most of these have at least 100,000 miles on them by now, so one would hope that any glaring faults would have been corrected by their owners. I wouldn't want to have one of these cars and depend on the dealership to keep it running and in top condition. If you can get under the hood yourself, and don't mind doing it, these are good cars. Click here: DallasNews.com cars.com - new and used car pricing, reviews and buying informat , you will find six listed using a custom search for 96-97 Passat TDI. The link might not get posted as I'm not real savy. Good luck.

Chuck

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Of course, this is all assuming you're in the USA or Canada. JPC's profile doesn't give a location.