You now have options to repair or replace your BEW PD Lift Pump

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
I now have BEW Lift Pumps and replacement pump motors for the old style lift pump for sale.
BEW Lift Pump
They are made by a OE Manufacturer and I back the lift pump by a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Cost is $149.00 including shipping to anywhere in Canada and the lower 48 states in the US.
Only $149.00!
Old style lift pump replacement motor
You can now replace the failed pump motor. It is plug and play and has a
90 day unlimited mileage warranty.
Now shipping with the proper length hose!

Cost is $79.00 including shipping to anywhere in Canada and the lower 48 states in the US.
Only $79.00!
ALH conversion connector

Only $8.00 with purchase of lift pump!
$12 with shipping to the US or Canada.

They are now on the web site! - Except the connector, email me for details until I get it figured out.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Wow, wish I still had my old one. I paid $250 for a complete replacement a little over a year and a half ago.

Are you going to get motors for the newer style pumps? There are a lot of them out now and I am sure there will be a call for them in the future.

TheTDIWagonGuy

TDI
Wow, wish I still had my old one. I paid $250 for a complete replacement a little over a year and a half ago.

Are you going to get motors for the newer style pumps? There are a lot of them out now and I am sure there will be a call for them in the future.
If there is demand for them I can get them. ;)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If anyone knows the secret to getting the hose off the original pump unit, please share it with the rest of us.
Even after I cut the clamp off (or pry it off), I still have an extremely hard time getting the hose off.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
You have a PM.

Sick price! I paid double that not too long ago. At this price it's worth having a spare in the trunk!

TheTDIWagonGuy

TDI
If anyone knows the secret to getting the hose off the original pump unit, please share it with the rest of us.
Even after I cut the clamp off (or pry it off), I still have an extremely hard time getting the hose off.
Did you try heat? I've done it with a heat gun but you have to be careful. You can cut it as well since the replacement pump comes with a new hose and clamps.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Although I haven't finish testing I think I am running on a dead pump.

Could someone please remind me on how to check if I have the old or new style pump? I remember reading something about a marking on top of the pump but I must wait until I am at less than 1/2 tank (maybe tomorrow).

Thanks!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225672 has plenty of pictures, if you wade through it.
The originals have a B at the end of the part number, are tan colored (under the deposits) all over, and has no external hose down the outside of the canister.

The only one available for years has been the one with no suffix on the part number (the part number is usually ground off before selling anyway), has a blue/grey top, white canister and has an external hose down the outside of the canister.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks so much DanG144!

Just to confirm: if I disconnected the line from the filter to the head and cycled the key some 4 times with no diesel out, then my lift pump is dead, right?

What is left before ordering is for me to open the tank and have a look at the pump, but as I understand if I had the new model without mod then my car would not start.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a million Dan.

Just opened the lid and saw a tan colored top of the pump with signs of never being touched (lots of dust). Already ordered the motor and hope this project to be within my grasp.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The hardest part is getting the old hose clamp(s) off. I usually have the best luck taking a pair of pliers and bending the tab over, then pulling the clamp open.

I would ENSURE your assembly is warmed (hair drier or inside heated space) before messing with it, otherwise the plastic will break.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi TheTDIWagonGuy,

I just reviewed my credit card balance and was surprised to see that although I used a US card I was still charged a cross-border fee.

I decided to use the US card because the funds were required in USD and if I used a Canadian card then there is exchange rate, fee, etc. So I assumed that using the US card I could avoid that. Not a big amount but still I would prefer that money in my pocket or yours, not the bank.

You should try to find a better way for your Canadian costumers IMO. Maybe Interac transfer which is very safe and only 1 buck to the sender?

TheTDIWagonGuy

TDI
Hi TheTDIWagonGuy,

I just reviewed my credit card balance and was surprised to see that although I used a US card I was still charged a cross-border fee.

I decided to use the US card because the funds were required in USD and if I used a Canadian card then there is exchange rate, fee, etc. So I assumed that using the US card I could avoid that. Not a big amount but still I would prefer that money in my pocket or yours, not the bank.

You should try to find a better way for your Canadian costumers IMO. Maybe Interac transfer which is very safe and only 1 buck to the sender?
Hi Pedro,

To be honest I'm not sure what your referring to. I've never heard of a cross border fee. I think this is something that you should ask your credit card company. Also since the exchange rates have been hovering around parody the price would have been the same had you changed the currency on the web site to CDN$.

Sorry for your troubles.

Mike

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Mike,

Not a biggie, just saying. I am actually happy to have an alternative than having to buy the whole pump which is not only expensive but the old one goes just to sit in the landfill forever. Besides, I like to thinker with my car whenever I have the time.

I did actually changed the currency in your website to CAD but was asked to pay in USD by PayPal, that is why I cancel the 1st order and made a new one in USD to pay with my US card.

Thanks,
Pedro

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Messy, messy work but is all done now with only a plastic tab broken (my bad). I know better now if I ever have to do it again. Old motor had some serious wear to the commutator and not much life to one brush (will post pics later).

New motor runs fine! Thanks Mike

Last edited:

TheTDIWagonGuy

TDI
Messy, messy work but is all done now with only a plastic tab broken (my bad). I know better now if I ever have to do it again. Old motor had some serious wear to the commutator and not much life to one brush (will post pics later).

New motor runs fine! Thanks Mike
I'm interested in seeing those pictures. Thanks Pedro :D

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Here we go:

Last edited:

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
New pump motor

I received and finally changed my non-functional lift pump motor and I can say that after hearing it operate now, it simply cannot be audibly missed unless the radio is blaring or something.

A note to all who use this new godsend of an option. Mike is great to work with. He is very responsive and offers a nice product at a very reasonable price but be considerate before you tear into your pump assembly and cut off the pump hose. It seems he got (and shipped) a batch of replacement hoses that are too short. You will need a hose that is ~230mm and the one I received was 160mm.

Needless to say that this hose spends it's thankless life 100% submersed in diesel under pressure and in a tight bend so it's not like you can use and old drinking straw or whatever you find lying around to substitute it AND there is no way to drive the car without this.

Make sure you have the right size hose BEFORE you cut the original apart.

As best I could observe, the old pump motor failed for two reasons both of which exacerbated the other:
1: Because the brushes wore unevenly and the shorter of the two did not have enough body left to be properly supported in its holder.
2: Because the commutator eroded away to make item 1 possible.

The fact is that if it were not for this thread on the TDI Club forum I would have driven around indefinitely with a non-functional lift pump and not even have known it. Looking back now remember doing a fuel filter and nearly cooking a starter because a BEW isn't supposed to need hand priming like a VE engine. That was at least a year ago and there is no way to tell beyond that how much longer it was not functioning. Even if the brushes had worn evenly, they would have surely worn past their serviceable life by now anyway.

Thanks Mike!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You are the second person to mention clearly hearing the pump run. The OEM ones were/are very quiet. Most people could not hear them at all once the engine was running. Another purchaser was asking me about a whine in his new unit.

I have half dozen to fix, and I will test them all, let you know about the sound.

Dan.