VCDS scan - solenoid cylinder 1,2,3,4

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Recently acquired vcds and have been scanning. Noticed that on reading values for solenoid, cylinders 1,3, and 4 all are about 10-12 on average with jumping around a bit within a couple of points. However, cylinder 2 averages closer to 3 with a range of 2-5. There are no misfire or any other related codes being thrown and car is running great. My question is what is the significance of these findings? Thanks for your input.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
I first saw them as I was going through the advanced measuring blocks where you can pick out up to 12 values at a time, then as I was going through the numbered measuring blocks, I think I recall those values in block 23. I will look and confirm this evening. Pretty sure, but, not 100%. I will add that car has new (less than 500 miles) camshaft kit. Also 2005 BHW with 179,000 miles. Thank you.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it is group 23. Solenoid - cylinder 1,2,3,4. The numbers are labeled the "switching period". At idle cylinder 1 is 10-11, 2 is 1-2, 3 is 13, and 4 is 8. While traveling about 35 - 40 mph, 1 goes to 21, 2 to 10, 3 to 22 and 4 is 19. Back to idle (861 rpm) cylinder 1 is 6, 2 is 1, 3 is 12 and 4 is 10. Many of the other values seem to be in consistent ranges or normal values, such coolant temp, fuel temp, voltage, injection values etc. Torsion is - 2.5 kw (plan on experimenting here). The only other variation I recall is the actual maf at idle is about two times specified. (250 spec. vs. 450 act.). MAF sensor is probably less than a year old. Incidentally, the only other code that is present intermittently is 19558 - v157. - no signal. This I now believe I have it narrowed to wiring as opposed to the IFM itself. Again, thanks.

Last edited:

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the information. Will read over today. Have to take a long trip today, so will check numbers periodically. Have to learn more. Thanks again.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Have read numerous posts regarding the switching period and have concluded that even though cylinder 2 varies from 1, 3, and 4, the amount is not concerning at this time. I say this because rolling the cursor over a field in vcds gives a range value of normal or acceptable values. The switching period range is from -100 to +100 in vcds. Others have used -50 to +50 as a range and suggested a fuel filter change at 50. Since these numbers change with + to - numbers with idle and various increases in rpm (acceleration) proper fueling has a wide parameter. I would also think that a clogged fuel filter would cause a global problem and affect all cylinders, whereas a singular cylinder variant would be local and indicate that particular injector. I plan on increasing the use of power service diesel kleen and others such as red line to see if the switching period numbers tend to balance out. I have good sound from the engine running and no misfire codes, so that is good. (One plus from concern over the bsm was incessant listening to the engine before having the bsm deleted. Although the sound is different post delete, it sounds good.) Will keep playing with vcds and if I discover any info that I think to be of interest will post it. Again thanks to all of you who share your expertise.