B4 Heater Core Replace Trouble

andras22

TDI
96 Passat Wagon
I'm trying to change the heater core on my B4 Passat.

The bolts on the fire wall holding the heater box are spinning together with the nut.

Please advise! Thanks!

linkpin

TDI
2000, 2002 Jetta
I did one recently where the nut started to loosen they the stud started spinning I had enough room to press on the stud behind the nut with a screw driver holding pressure allowed me to get the nut off

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If the stud starts to spin you have no alternative but to use a pliers and hold the stud until you get the nut far enough off that you can put the pliers behind at the firewall.

I recommend using a needle nose pliers to hold the stud in place.

Steve

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If memory serves, the stud spinning will back the stud out of the box. I think this happened with a couple of the studs on my B4 box when replacing the core.

Just back them out, and retrieve with vicegrips on the stud or a helper with pliers, once the HVAC box is out of the car.

andras22

TDI
96 Passat Wagon
If memory serves, the stud spinning will back the stud out of the box. I think this happened with a couple of the studs on my B4 box when replacing the core.

Just back them out, and retrieve with vicegrips on the stud or a helper with pliers, once the HVAC box is out of the car.
This would be nice (to know) - but so far that was not my experience. Thanks!