Cleaning hot-film type MAF sensor?

halfbytecode

TDI
1.6 TDI - CR, 2010 Polo Sedan
Hi,

I tried cleaning the MAF sensor on my car having a 1.6 TDI (CLNA) engine. I used CRC MAF sensor cleaner, which, as per CRC, can be used on both hot-wire and hot-film sensors.

I do not feel it really helped after spraying on the sensor, as instructed. I also noticed the dirt along the inside of the enclosing plastic, was still left as is, even after spraying the cleaner on it and having it dry away.

I manually wiped down the dirt from there, without touching the sensor at all.

However, the spray did clean the dirt on the white part of the sensor.

Is it the case that the spray never actually reached the film, as it seems to be concealed?

I am including some pictures of the sensor.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
We don't have your engine in the US but cleaning the MAF is usually a solution
in search of a problem. Think about it: where is the dirt coming from?
There should only be clean, filtered air at the MAF. If there isn't, find out why.
MAF's go bad over time but dirtiness is rarely the cause, IMHO.

halfbytecode

TDI
The air filter is changed every 15,000 kms here, due to this being a high dust area.

Nonetheless, even if I take out the air filter after about 2,000 kms, from the previous cleaning, it is still full of dust. I tend to clean it right in between two consecutive air filter change.

This time I additionally did it while cleaning the MAF sensor, (the 2,000 kms thing).

The reason I wanted to clean the MAF sensor is because I noticed the fuel efficiency had dropped significantly.

I would appreciate if you could let me know about a better way to clean the MAF sensor.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The air filter is changed every 15,000 kms here, due to this being a high dust area...
I would check the fit of the air filter in the box. If that much dust is getting past it, something isn't right. And, as KLXD asked, can you resize the pictures?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I find that the MAF sensors can gather an oily film from the crankcase vent oil vapors drifting down through the intake tube after the engine has been shut off. I don't know how it could get that way otherwise.
You aren't by some chance using a K&N or other oil treated air filter are you?

Last edited:

halfbytecode

TDI
How about making the pichers a bit smaller?
Sorry, I did not realize they were huge. Turned out to be gigantic.

I would check the fit of the air filter in the box. If that much dust is getting past it, something isn't right. And, as KLXD asked, can you resize the pictures?
The dust visible in the pictures, near the MAF sensor, has accumulated over years.

I was talking about the dust in the air filter, and its enclosure, to explain the high dust situation in this area.

I find that the MAF sensors can gather an oily film from the crankcase vent oil vapors drifting down through the intake tube after the engine has been shut off. I don't know how it could get that way otherwise.
You aren't by some chance using a K&N or other oil treated air filter are you?
I have never used oil treated air filters. Always used stock VW filters, and other stock components.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I was talking about the dust in the air filter, and its enclosure, to explain the high dust situation in this area...
Understood, but if the dust is making it to the MAF sensor, there's a either a fit problem with the filter element, or a leak downstream of it.

halfbytecode

TDI
Understood, but if the dust is making it to the MAF sensor, there's a either a fit problem with the filter element, or a leak downstream of it.
Since the MAF sensor is screwed and glued to the side of air filter enclosure!

The only thing I can think of is the missing O-ring below the air filter, which the dealership guys seem to have misplaced.

I do not know how the missing O-ring affects the air filter/MAF sensor.

Could you tell me a way to clean the MAF sensor film?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
That's too much dust getting by the air filter.
Try greasing the sealing surfaces between the filter and airbox. Any grease will do.
As far as cleaning the MAF, spray it as best as you can but don't expect a miracle.

halfbytecode

TDI
That's too much dust getting by the air filter.
Try greasing the sealing surfaces between the filter and airbox. Any grease will do.
As far as cleaning the MAF, spray it as best as you can but don't expect a miracle.
Thanks. Should I also try getting a replacement O-ring of the same specifications?

Furthermore, I still do not understand how I should access the film, while spraying the MAF sensor cleaner.

It seems the spray is only getting onto the white plastic of the sensor "body".