Difference between manual & auto BEWs

bkeese

TDI
2005 Jetta
I have a manual 2005 TDI Jetta BEW with a broken timing belt. I am considering removing the engine and replacing it with either a used one or a new long block. My main question is, is there any difference between the manual and the automatic BEW engine. For instance, I know the crank was drilled on American cars to accept a pilot bushing for the input shaft on manual cars. Does the BEW engine have anything to prevent me from dropping in an AUTOMATIC (much easier to find) version of the BEW? I suppose the ECM is different.

Thanks,

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is no pilot bearing on that engine, manual or automatic.

The only difference in the two is the coolant flange on the head and the coolant crossover pipe.

Engine controller is the same, just coded differently, but that has nothing to do with the engine proper. You can swap the engine and never even see the ECU.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
might want to look over the tubes and hoses really well. Tubes that pass antifreeze might be slightly different for the trans oil cooler. Much easier to change the tubes while the engine is out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
might want to look over the tubes and hoses really well. Tubes that pass antifreeze might be slightly different for the trans oil cooler. Much easier to change the tubes while the engine is out.
That clown in post #2 mentioned the coolant pipe. :p :D :)

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
It's a circus around here.

I told my wife I would never buy her a watch. She said, "Why not!". I said, "because there's a clock on the night stand and a clock on the stove!"

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
One other difference I can think of: the power steering line that goes from the rack, under the transmission, across the front of the engine to the power steering pump. Auto and Manual are different.

Eric