Simple solution to worn gasket on B pillar

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
On our 13 I found I had worn through the gasket around the drivers' side door on the B pillar. On the new 15 I noticed the gasket was starting to chaff and decided to figure out a way to protect the gasket. BTW, my chaffing of the gasket is due to my using the B pillar as a support when entering and leaving the driver's seat--due to a bad hip.
So, I picked up some 3M vinyl electrical tape, 1/2 width, labeled 3M 37 and applied it on the gasket. So far, after 3 weeks, it is still adhering well, is virtually invisible (perhaps even an improvement, visually) and is preventing the chaffing.
Thought I'd pass it along.
Here's a link to 3M 37. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ton-12-rolls-case?N=5002385+3294763400&rt=rud
I guess you could look at the specs and see if you could match in another them with another 3M product.

The stuff I used I had picked up at Habitat for Humanity for .50 a roll.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Not trying to make light of your situation, but maybe you should get one of those "Handgrips" that pops into the drivers door latch part.

CarCane

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Not trying to make light of your situation, but maybe you should get one of those "Handgrips" that pops into the drivers door latch part.

CarCane
Thanks for the heads up. At this point in time, I'm not quite that far along, but I'll probably get there in a few years.
Getting old isn't for sissies.