Air cooled ?

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
I know some of you guys like myself have an air cooled Volkswagen so raise your hands !

I'm looking for a little guidance on troubleshooting my first gear issue after changing transmission mounts with a new motor and new clutch - shakes like hell in first gear - but sometimes after starting it up, it's smooth as butter - then the next set of lights, back to shaking upon leaving in first - so I have to leave in 2nd :(

I can drive it or tow it over so we can have a peak... I need eyes on it while engaging the clutch - ps - it's a 29' ford volksrod ;)

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Did you resurface your flywheel when you swapped your clutch? The symptoms you describe sound a lot like a surface hardened or hotspotted flywheel.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
29 Ford Volks Rod?

OK, engine in the back, but looks like ( I assume) a rat rod. Do you have a dummy engine block in the front? Or at least you put fake headers on the front?

If so, tell me that they are a 3-runner design to mimic a flathead... :D

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Ya exhaust is plumbed to some collector / header mounts for the small block ford chrome exhaust... sounds dirty but I love it... Just wish I could get the clutch under control..:p

Looks like I need to unbolt the motor again and inspect the throw out bearing and see what is what... I just don't have a good place to work on it :(

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Ya exhaust is plumbed to some collector / header mounts for the small block ford chrome exhaust... sounds dirty but I love it... Just wish I could get the clutch under control..:p

Looks like I need to unbolt the motor again and inspect the throw out bearing and see what is what... I just don't have a good place to work on it :(

A failing/failed throw out bearing isn't going to exhibit the symptoms you describe. What you describe sounds like a hot spotted flywheel or soaked/contaminated clutch disc. I'm assuming you've inspected the new motor mounts you put in ?

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Ya for it to engage fine a couple times then fail would sound like a hot spotted fly wheel... The guy who built the motor said he would give me a replacement since I bought the motor complete from him... He is one of the nicest and most endearing ex vw mechanics I've ever met.. If anyone needs a motor rebuilt, let me know I'll shoot you his details.

Sadly, the garage I kept my tools in was repossessed because my friend who I managed his IT for garage space didn't pay his rent. Now I have no space and no tools period :(

FML