Castrol Syntec 5w40?

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have an '06 Jetta TDI with 2000 miles in it, so I have 3000 to go before my first scheduled oil change. I dont like not having a quart of oil handy for any vehicle that I own. Would Castrol Syntec 5w40 be suitable for topping off with? It says on the back that it is approved for VW TDI engines, but its rated at 505.00 and the manual calls for 505.1 whatever that means. This is the only oil I've been able to find that says anything about being suitable for TDI's.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Your manual calls for 505.01, only use that or VW will void your warranty. Not to mention anything less will wear out the cam lobes of your engine well before they should be.

Acidhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
That's interesting because thats the oil my dealership uses. I'm not fond of castol. So I have them add ( I supply) one bottle of Lucas pure synthetic. This is going to be fun. I wonder wait they'll say. You see what happen when you assume.

diegovw

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Can a dealership really tell if you are using 505.01 as opposed to another type? Wouldn't that require extensive testing to determine?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
diegovw said:
Can a dealership really tell if you are using 505.01 as opposed to another type? Wouldn't that require extensive testing to determine?
IIRC oil analysis costs about $40.

diegovw

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Bob_Fout said:
IIRC oil analysis costs about $40.
Do dealerships do this testing as a matter of course? It seems a bit extreme to me. Would using say, Valvoline Synthetic 5w40 really harm a motor more than using the exact formula that VW prescribes? That strikes me as far fetched. I'm not arguing the point or trying to be a troll or something, just kind of surprised that it would really make a big difference in the protection of the motor. I guess I always thought it was just one of those things to get you to buy their oil. Kind of like how Canon says I can only use thier ink in my Canon printer.

In repose to wjdell, I guess I tend to question everything, espcially things that seem overly expensive. Why question it? Why not, I say. I tend to question the reasoning behind things, especially when it is coming from a large corporation that will profit immensely if I blindly follow their suggestions. It doesn't hurt to ask does it? Maybe their oil is only one of many "proper oils", maybe it's not. Maybe it really is the only oil suitable to this particular motor. They certainly have a number of alternatives in Europe and even in the US there are now choices that may be suitable. We won't ever know unless we try to find out.

I have to say that I anm curious to know if there are any actual cases (not net speculation)where VW has not honored a claim based on using non VW oil in the past

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I'd imagine they will if you have engine problems during your warranty period.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
You will have to supply proof if there is a problem. The reciept will tell the type of oil. I do believe that if you use a oil marked 505.01 or better that VW would make good on a repair. But your owners manual is specific and look under the hood. After breakin and you go the 10k use the 505.01 it is not anymore expensive then any other premium syn oil. I think I may go 507 but will stay at 10k intervals. I have narrowed my choices down to Amsoil and Liqui Moly, its a personal choice.

diegovw

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
wjdell said:
You will have to supply proof if there is a problem. The reciept will tell the type of oil. I do believe that if you use a oil marked 505.01 or better that VW would make good on a repair. But your owners manual is specific and look under the hood. After breakin and you go the 10k use the 505.01 it is not anymore expensive then any other premium syn oil. I think I may go 507 but will stay at 10k intervals. I have narrowed my choices down to Amsoil and Liqui Moly, its a personal choice.

Thanks 4 the info. I did notice that Amsoil has that new (to me anyway) diesel specific oil that I am thinking of trying.

I think my main question is, after all is said and done, is this high priced oil really important to the life of the TDI? I'm pretty green here but used to think that diesels would run on everything but milk. I'm just surprised that they need so much special treatment now days. I guess I'm pretty naive.

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
The PD engine uses the cam shaft to operate the injectors. These injectors put about 12 to 15 times the pressuer load on the cam that the valves do. It should be obvisous that there is a much more extreme wear potential here WITHOUT the proper oil. I can tell you from personal experience that the manufacture WILL NOT cover this type of failure if there is any hint of a problem with your oil. Don't forget you are setting your self up for a fight you are NOT going to win if you do not use the proper oil (assured engine failure and down time) as well as waisting your time money and effort. Use the right stuff and waste you time on something else.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
There is some speculation on if the 505.01 oil is actually needed and what protection it provides.

With the higher injection pressures seen in the PD motor and the need to narrow the valve lobes to fit the injector lobe on the cam, there appears to be a need for a higher specification for the oil.

I'm not 100% sure that it is needed, but that is what I run in my PD engined car. There are many expensive parts in that engine that I don't wan to pay for while it is under warranty.

If there is an oil related failure in your car while under warranty, VW will want the oil to be tested to be sure that you have been using the right oil.

And keep your receipts.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I found out I was suprised also - I thought premium diesel and I am all set, I had dreams of being a one oil man. those dreams were shattered when I opened up my owners manual. If I was to experiment with a out of spec oil it would be DEO Amsoil. But Amsoil would not rec this oil to us even if they felt it would be OK. They formulated AFL specific for the PD. They did not submit the oil for approval. Liqui Moly clamis there oils are certified but there is no list to confirm that. And before people start showing me a buch of approvals those are the old oils not the new oils.
PD stands for Pestle Death.

diegovw

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
chrisfiat said:
It should be obvisous that there is a much more extreme wear potential here WITHOUT the proper oil. .
Well it should be obvious but I was pretty ignorant about diesels until I started reading these forums today and I know I have a ton of stuff to learn that is pretty obvious to you veterans. I'm not a mechanic or any kind of expert, just a guy that bought a TDI to save money on fuel. My engine is well out of warranty at 166K miles. I was more trying to satisfy my curiosity as opposed to figuring out a way to get off cheap on the oil or get over on the dealership. I hope that wasn't the impression I gave. I do appreciate that you all are bearing with me and tolerating my newbie questions. Thanks, I'll buy ya a beer should we ever meet!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
DiegoVW, the whole issue of oil meeting the VW505.01 spec doesn't apply to you, or me. Our engines don't require it.

You can get Mobil Delvac 1 at the El Capitan truckstop on Woodside in Santee (south frontage road off Hwy 67). Or order Mobil 1 5w40 from NAPA or CarQuest. Or buy Lubri-Moly 5w40 at Inter Autoparts SD at 5060 Convoy, between Hwy 52 and Clairmont Mesa Blvd. (Either Voll-Synthese 5w40 or Diesel High Tech 5w40)

These are all fine motor oils at reasonable prices, full synthetic, unlike the semi-synthetic Castrol Syntec.

Edit: my mistake, LM Diesel High Tech is a Group III oil, like Castrol Syntec. It's rated 505.01 but you don't need that, so try the Voll-Synthese instead.

And stay away from dealerships, if at all possible.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Bob_Fout said:
Shell Rotella T 5w40?
I've heard that the price has gone up from <$13 to almost $18 a gallon. If so, then no longer a real bargain.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob - are you suggesting this oil for a 06 PD as a oil that you would trust that is less expensive, I checked the site and it does not carry a vag spec. It is a good oil and I am a PRO SHELL person. I used Rotella ST 30 in summer and Amsoil ST 30 in winter for 180k in a Geo, the engine did well and was sold. I did this on Ohio for 10 years. Year round 30W

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
wjdell said:
Bob - are you suggesting this oil for a 06 PD as a oil that you would trust that is less expensive, I checked the site and it does not carry a vag spec. It is a good oil and I am a PRO SHELL person. I used Rotella ST 30 in summer and Amsoil ST 30 in winter for 180k in a Geo, the engine did well and was sold. I did this on Ohio for 10 years. Year round 30W

No not for a PD. For DiegoVW.

Someone mentioned Syntec..which is only 505.00. DB and others have mentioned Rotella T for the ALH for 10K mile OCI.

Rotella T is $12 to $15 a gallon here still.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
For the sake of clarity, it should be noted here that the original poster's questions on using VW505.00 in his PD are separate from diegovw's questions on the need for this oil.

soberups- you have a PD motor and need to use a VW505.01 or better oil.

diegovw- as others have pointed out, you have many more options because you have the older tdi engine that uses a distributor fuel pump.