When does your clutch engage?

Aggie05

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 2 door golf
When does your clutch engage, the instant you begin to let up on it, or 3-4 inches up? I recently replaced a leaking clutch slave cylinder which was causing my clutch to slip. The first few shifts after replacement, the clutch engaged as soon as I let up, but now its back to 3-4 inches.

Regards

aberson

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 4d Black/Tan
Mine seems to be about 2-3" off the floor. On Friday somebody from VW told me it should be engaging closer to the floor, and it's a sign of a clutch that needs replacing. I'm a little skeptical.

Anyone else have any input?

I'm trying to figure out what a typical clutch life is anyway

Aggie05

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 2 door golf
I've heard the stock clutch should be good for about 125000 miles. Of course, any power modifications are certain to decrease this number. Mine was slipping because the clutch slave cylinder was leaking brake fluid onto the pressure disc. I do have a few power mods though.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I always thought it would be higher.
My pedal has some play at the top, then it gets some resistance and is in the engagement/disengagement zone.
Being near the floor sounds completely wrong to me.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Mine moves about an inch or two before it starts to grab.

alayos

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
i think mine is going out it engages 2 inches from the top not the floor. plus it has been sliping lately in 4th and 5th. time to upgrade to the vr6 clutch kit from dieselgeek.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
alayos said:
i think mine is going out it engages 2 inches from the top not the floor. plus it has been sliping lately in 4th and 5th. time to upgrade to the vr6 clutch kit from dieselgeek.
Slipping w/o any mods?

CalPauley

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL, cosmic green
Aggie05 said:
I've heard the stock clutch should be good for about 125000 miles. Of course, any power modifications are certain to decrease this number. Mine was slipping because the clutch slave cylinder was leaking brake fluid onto the pressure disc. I do have a few power mods though.
I'm at 137K on my original clutch with power mods... :)

:knocks wood: