Flexible Exhaust Coupler Length

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
[/url][/IMG]The woven steel part of my flexible exhaust pipe needs to be replaced. What is the length that the woven part should be. I want to order the right length and weld it in. The one I had was six inches, but it was almost hitting the cross member underneath it.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
spray it with soapy water, if you bubbles, leave it alone until it does fail. 3 cars of mine have this issue and its just cosmetic. that mesh is to keep debris from getting in the folds and trapping water to keep it from rusting out but all it does it get clogged up and traps water itself. The reason it rusts or breaks off is that it is the lowest point on average where water sits because it is trapped.
How good of a welder are you because thats a VERY hard item to weld. Your mixing steel pipe with stainless steel. it will rust off. Best thing to do is get one that is 3-4" longer than what you need and use some stainless steel zip ties and clamp it past this point. As you can see from the picture here that they fold over the metal to crimp it on because a weld is not going to last very long if at all. When you temper stainless it becomes brittle right after the weld and it will break off with in days or weeks of welding from driving.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The mesh is to give the bellows axial support and to protect the relatively thin convolutions. Keeps it from stretching and supports the weight of the pipe. Nothing to do with debris.

One might argue the need for such support in a low pressure exhaust system but that's what it's for.

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
[/url][/IMG]

I'm pretty sure mine is leaking. Once I pulled it out, this is what the other side looks like. So I want to take the downpipe/flex pipe/catalytic converter unit to town to have a new flex pipe welded in. But I still don't know what the original flex pipe woven portion length is supposed to be. I'm pretty sure the one in there now is too long since it was almost hitting the cross member.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
looks fine. i always hit them with 4 coats of VHT BBQ paint, really helps keep rust down on cheep pipe.
get get it done cheep . might be worth getting one you can just crimp on with exhaust clamps. vs paying someone $50-100 to weld it in
is your exhaust 2"? i thought the exhaust was 1 3/4"

Last edited:

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
I've been looking, but I can't find one like this that clamps on. If anyone knows of one, I'd like to know about it too. My Exhaust is 2 inch.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did a search on google "2" clamp on flex exhaust"
https://www.google.com/search?q=2%22+clamp+on+flex+exhaust&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxqIuO-PvWAhXCSyYKHUUsAk4QvwUIJSgA&biw=1920&bih=959

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-42216-Hardware-Connector-Bushings/dp/B000CQBGZU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P63W8NAQ7E83V8YTFHTD
https://www.amazon.com/Walker-42216-Hardware-Connector-Bushings/dp/B000CQBGZU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P63W8NAQ7E83V8YTFHTD

Not calling you out on anything but did you even do a search? took me longer to write this comment up than it did to search on google and click on a link to amazon.

Also use claps like this and a sealer too when you slide the pipes together before clamping.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think there's insufficient straight pipe to do a clamp on for this, especially the forward side (turbo down to flexi). If it was me I'd have it welded on.

Abacus welded a flange on to his straight section so replacements would be more convenient. You might consider that too.

Steve

mustangmarty

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Wagon TDI
Mongler, I've searched plenty and found lots like that. But like Steve said, there isn't enough straight pipe room to put something like that in there. I really want to put a stainless unit in there with interlocking inner liner so it will last a lot longer. After doing a lot more research, I'm thinking about having V-clamp flanges welded to the ends of a Vibrant 60606 as well as onto the down pipe and pipe to the cat, and then installing them myself back home since the car is in pieces right now. I believe this will even allow me to rotate the pipes a little if I need to in order for everything to line up perfectly. Does this sound like a good idea?

Last edited: