Transmission Issue 2004 Jetta TDI

Lalo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
My 2004 Jetta TDI with automatic transmission has an issue. The transmission will not shift properly when cold. Issue has been diagnoised as faulty transmission temperature sensor. I was wondering how difficult it is to replace. Does transmission have to be removed or can sensor be accessed by droping pan and filter? Any help is greatly appreciated

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I doubt your problem is the temp sensor.
You have a 09A trans. On a 09A trans usually a "wont shift cold" complaint is caused from the solenoids sticking. See following thread. There are dozens of folks in that thread who have fixed their "wont shift cold" issue on 09A by replacing the solenoids.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...T-Jetta-not-shifting-gears-from-1st-when-cold

Temp sensor code in trans computer usually triggers when either your car isn't warming up properly or your engine temp sensor is having a problem. Even if the trans temp sensor is failing the car will probably drive OK. Since the trans temp sensor is inside the trans requiring removing the trans from the car and disassembling it to change it, it would be best to rule out every other possibility (meaning engine temp sensor & thermostat) before trying to change it, or live with it as long as you can.

Mallory

TDI
2004 Jetta
With my 2004 and the 09A auto transmission, we are finding that the hard jerky shifting in lower gears starts after getting off the highway. Daily driver, and goes about 50 miles one way, then on the exit ramp you can sometimes feel it bumping into the lower gears, then will shift hard/lurch forward/bang into gears...so when it is hot rather than cold?

Would this be a symptom of solenoids also?

I have seen some things posted about DSG and mechatronics being reset...and a lot of the symptoms I read on these forums mirror what we experience...but I wouldn't think this would be the answer considering the 2004 doesn't appear to have DSG...but maybe shifts with the triptonic similarly??

Still a newbie here.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
As CoolAirVw pointed out none of the sensors are accessible without pulling the transmission and cracking the case open. They reside under the differential gear so if you are going to that much trouble you may as well replace all the sensors and the filter (which is also not accessible without pulling the trans and cracking the case).

That being said it is pretty classic symptoms of a solenoid problem. Mine went squirrely last fall and I got a kit from this site http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=09a_jf506e_solenoid_kit
I won't say it was easy to do but the replacement doesn't require any special tools, just a lot of patience and some dexterity. They can be replaced with the trans in the car. You'll need four liters of the correct fluid and a temp gun to read the temperature of the case if you don't have access to VagCom.

PounDDer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI
I see this type of thread a lot lately. Please listen to CoolAirVW. He posted an excellent "how to" on changing the solenoids. They are not hard to do, but time consuming.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
today around noon I got in my 05 BEW auto DD jetta, went for coffee and a bagel down the road then back home, probably 3 miles total with no issues. start back up an hour later to go to work, drive 18 miles mostly highway to the post office, get back in 10 min later to go to work, start driving and BANG from 1-2, then 2-3, in some stop and go diving then al the way to 5th when I got on the highway.

car has 166k on it and has been my DD for last 10k averaging about 500-600 miles a week of 80% easy highway driving from 70-80mph, been easy on it since I got it because auto.

this thing toast and time for 6spd swap or there possibly an easy fix? i am seeing all kinds of info from "check your MAF' sensor to replace all the solenoids and harness in the trans which i am not going to do.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
today around noon I got in my 05 BEW auto DD jetta, went for coffee and a bagel down the road then back home, probably 3 miles total with no issues. start back up an hour later to go to work, drive 18 miles mostly highway to the post office, get back in 10 min later to go to work, start driving and BANG from 1-2, then 2-3, in some stop and go diving then al the way to 5th when I got on the highway.

car has 166k on it and has been my DD for last 10k averaging about 500-600 miles a week of 80% easy highway driving from 70-80mph, been easy on it since I got it because auto.

this thing toast and time for 6spd swap or there possibly an easy fix? i am seeing all kinds of info from "check your MAF' sensor to replace all the solenoids and harness in the trans which i am not going to do.
Yep, time for a manual then. ;)

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Great, guess I'll be selling some guns stuff, at lease it happened while the market is up.

After 10.5hr at work I drove home with no issues, stopped for fuel and food on the way home and had no issues so hopefully I can get another month out of it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It might be worth your time and a few dollars to drain and replace the fluid that is in the transmission. It may not fix anything but it certainly won't hurt anything either. Changing the fluid has sometimes been known to un-stick some solenoids.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
It might be worth your time and a few dollars to drain and replace the fluid that is in the transmission. It may not fix anything but it certainly won't hurt anything either. Changing the fluid has sometimes been known to un-stick some solenoids.
I'm going to see how it works for the next month or so, if it keeps acting up then I will be doing a fluid and filter change. I have been planning on a 6spd swap since I got the car but I just got a house and remodeled it...... waaaaaaaay more money than expected so is has been put on hold for a bit.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I would disagree. Fluid change wont free a stuck solenoid. These things stick all the time (with mileage and time) because of their design. New fluid wont change that.

I wouldn't waste money on a fluid and filter change Might want to waste some money on a solenoid change. Might want to change the fluid
as you change the solenoids.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
The solenoid change requires splitting the case no?

If the trans is coming out then it's not going back in. 02M time it seems.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don't wait a few months to "see how it goes". The only thing that will do is cause additional damage if the tranny is malfunctioning.

You see people that take that approach with starting issues and end up on the side of the road with a destroyed starter because they were driving the car with the assumption that they could always get at least one more start out of it.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
The solenoid change requires splitting the case no?

If the trans is coming out then it's not going back in. 02M time it seems.
No it doesn't require splitting the case. Trans doesn't have to come out. Nor does front end have to come off although some do it that way.

Last edited:

Rightreplypls*

TDI
Jetta
I doubt your problem is the temp sensor.
You have a 09A trans. On a 09A trans usually a "wont shift cold" complaint is caused from the solenoids sticking. See following thread. There are dozens of folks in that thread who have fixed their "wont shift cold" issue on 09A by replacing the solenoids.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...T-Jetta-not-shifting-gears-from-1st-when-cold

Temp sensor code in trans computer usually triggers when either your car isn't warming up properly or your engine temp sensor is having a problem. Even if the trans temp sensor is failing the car will probably drive OK. Since the trans temp sensor is inside the trans requiring removing the trans from the car and disassembling it to change it, it would be best to rule out every other possibility (meaning engine temp sensor & thermostat) before trying to change it, or live with it as long as you can.
Wow. I found the temp sensor on this one. Bottom front. Wire connects at top in a bracket in front of engine. 2004 jetta tdi triptonic.
Why is it so hard to find just a list of answers to choose from? Seems like lots of folks say what it is for only one type and there seems to be too many variables with VW.