Gauge recommendation: BRM turbo upgrade

JettaCR140

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2004 Golf BEW TDI, 2010 Jetta CR TDI (buyback)
What's up everyone we have a 2006 BRM TDI that is getting ready for it's Xman Turbos transplant (hybrid PD140 shell with gtb1756vk internals and billet wheel vacuum conversion and PD140 exhaust manifold). Will be getting a custom Malone Tune from the local tuner as well as injectors (have not decided on which ones yet).

What gauges do you guys recommend are needed at a minimum, or what would you run with this setup (was planning on EGT and boost)

Also, where do you recommend mounting them? I like the tripod dash mount but really need my defroster (NY weather) and also like the triple pillar mount but I do have airbags under there so not sure how safe that would be.

Any/all info from you guys is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Will

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I recommend making a EGT gauge and boost gauge with an arduino and a 16x2 character display and mounting it in the gauge vent. That's what I'm working on at the moment, it's similar to the arduino gauge thread that was posted earlier this year. I'll put together a PDF and the program sketch on how to do it once I complete the boost gauge part. It's pretty easy, cheap, and fun.

JettaCR140

TDI
That would be awesome man! I'll definitely search for that thread, never thought of being creative with it but with a good write up it's always fun. The only problem I have is I don't totally trust OBD electronic boost readings (especially with aftermarket tunes/turbo), or are you using a vacuum hookup?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I have the EGT gauge working, I haven't put together the boost gauge yet. I'll be using MAP sensor off of an industrial application most likely. I've had too many projects at the moment to go back to it. My buddy also put one together with a 16x2 with no problem. Currently I'm switching to a different display that is RGB, but also works as red only. I'll get the full list of numbers, pinouts, sketch, and photos of where to solder and plug in the lego blocks.

This is the other Arduino thread by someone who knows what they're doing. I tried his sketches and ended up starting from scratch since the library for the display I was using was so different.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473229

You can follow his tutorial, but you need the exact same display, unless if he'd be so kindly to plug in the library for his sketch with the one needed for the display of your choice.

JettaCR140

TDI
Wow thank you for this info! Looks complicated as I have no knowledge in electronics like that but there are definitely a lot of smart people sharing info on there. I'll do some research and see if this is the best route for me versus spending way more for the typical pod gauges. Appreciate it!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
AUBER gauges 100%
Here check out mine. I have boost, EGT, and Oil PSI. there costly but they are the best of the best with 100% reliability and they even come with a relay in the display so you can hook up an alarm and or something else when a value is exceeded. I have water injection triggered only when the EGT gauge goes past 1400F. you can program them any way you want and get them in a variety of colours.

Dont skimp on this insurance step. I had an oil leak and i knew 100% that no harm was done to the turbo because i always saw good pressure. A AN fitting cracked and dumped 1 quart on the highway going home.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

You can see mine here post #18
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387812&page=2

Here ill just post this picture on this page too. You should check out my build too.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480843
There are 3 videos i uploaded to youtube.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I drilled and tapped the manifold with out taking it off. In a but shell you need the tap and a socket to use with the tap so you can reach. get 5 of those ring magnets and put them where your drilling and use a pice of cardboard over the intake manifold so it can still get air into the head but will block any flying metal chips from going in. idle the car and drill it out and tap it. the exhaust pressure will push anything outwards and not into the turbo. I have pictures of how i did this but its kida self explanatory.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm personally running McNally gauges in my car. I have boost as 1 gauge, EGT as 1 gauge, and then I have oil pressure and temp in a combo gauge that McNally makes. http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/

I checked them out but did not find what i was looking for, do they have a built in relay on the gauges you can program?

My auber gauges you can program and put alarms or other devices such as my water injection when the egt's get up to 1300

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'm personally running McNally gauges in my car. I have boost as 1 gauge, EGT as 1 gauge, and then I have oil pressure and temp in a combo gauge that McNally makes. http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/
105psi at idle? im assuming that is wrong and there is a issue with a sensor ?
I don't think I had the oil pressure and oil temp gauge hooked up when I took that picture.
If you look closer the bottom digital portion is oil temp and the top portion or needle portion is for oil pressure, which mean the oil pressure is at 80 psi and the oil temp is 105 degrees F.

So if you wanted a lot of information on how your car is doing you could get 3 dual sensor gauges from McNally to let you monitor 6 different things.:cool:

I checked them out but did not find what i was looking for, do they have a built in relay on the gauges you can program?
My auber gauges you can program and put alarms or other devices such as my water injection when the egt's get up to 1300
There's no way to program the gauge to give you an alarm at a certain temp or boost level, but they have a button you can press that will show you what the max value you reached during that period you had the car running. Once you turn off the car the memory is wiped and you start with a blank slate.

2bitthugs

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Check out McNally gauges. They have an EGT/Boost gauge all in one that i really like. Iv got it mounted in the vent on the left. I got my vent pod from new south.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
You can't go wrong with the McNally gauges. They're expensive, but a decent product.

OP, I got a little backed up on projects and pushed my gauge project on the back burner. I'll take a look and see if I can code an alarm with it, it shouldn't be too difficult to add. I'm still in the process of learning the code.