2015 Passat TDI - HPFP

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Does anyone know if the 2015 Passat TDI, with the newer EA288 diesel engine, has the same problems the previous EA189 engine had with high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) failures? Or does the newer EA288 diesel have a different HPFP that doesn't have a history of failure like that of the EA189?

I'm contemplating a purchase of a 2015 Passat TDI and just wanted to know if this is a concern with it's engine.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Most of the HPFP failures have been on the Golf/Jetta. Very few failures have been reported for the NMS Passat with the CKRA engine. No idea if the EA288 in 2015 Passats is good or bad for the HPFP system.

Keep in mind very few 2015's actually made it onto the roads before Dieselgate so the majority of them were sitting on lots until a few months ago when VW was allowed to sell them again. At this point in time they should still be low on miles so if there is a HPFP issue I doubt it will show up until after 20K miles are put on. (20K+ is what I recall the mileage to be before a HPFP failure struck but again that was on the Golf/Jetta which is not the same system as a NMS Passat.)

If this concerns you that much you may better off getting a non-TDI or an older A4 platform TDI. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it as the HPFP failures are relatively rare in the grand scheme of things. (And yes, I agree if it does happen to one's car it would be a real pain to deal with so understand your reason for asking about this.)

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
251, thanks for the response. Does the 2015 Passat TDI carry the warranty extension on the HPFP? If so, what is the nature of the extended warranty? If there is no HPFP warranty extension on 2015 TDI's, I may want to only consider it if the purchase comes with a CPO.

I thought the EA189 diesel engine from MY2009-2012 or so carried a HPFP extended warranty, but didn't go through MY2015.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
251, thanks for the response. Does the 2015 Passat TDI carry the warranty extension on the HPFP? If so, what is the nature of the extended warranty? If there is no HPFP warranty extension on 2015 TDI's, I may want to only consider it if the purchase comes with a CPO.

I thought the EA189 diesel engine from MY2009-2012 or so carried a HPFP extended warranty, but didn't go through MY2015.
I think it is safe to state that everything engine related is covered to 160K/11yrs. with a loaner provided during the repair if it takes longer than 3 hours.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it is safe to state that everything engine related is covered to 160K/11yrs. with a loaner provided during the repair if it takes longer than 3 hours.
It looks like you are an owner of a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Do you have something documenting a VW warranty extension as it pertains to the engine/drivetrain/HPFP, whatever? If VW issued something in writing, at least one has proof available when the need develops.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
That extended warranty is part of the emissions fix (which does include the HPFP). In a way, that is good enough.

What I was looking for was this:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VW_..._June_2015.pdf

This is the HPFP warranty extension, standalone, for certain TDI vehicles (from MY2009 to MY2012). Without the emissions fix, I don't think the MY2013 on up TDI's have a VW warranty extension just for the HPFP.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
You are asking about MY 15 2.0, right? The emissions warranty covers the HPFP, if the "fix" was applied. I'm no lawyer, but that's what I read. I don't know of a scenario that a MY15 TDI won't have the fix applied. I could be wrong.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
You are asking about MY 15 2.0, right? The emissions warranty covers the HPFP, if the "fix" was applied. I'm no lawyer, but that's what I read. I don't know of a scenario that a MY15 TDI won't have the fix applied. I could be wrong.
Yes, in a round-about way. MY2009-MY2012 2.0L TDI's had a VW warranty extension on the HPFP's for 10 years/120,000 miles by itself. MY2015 was not included in that warranty extension.

All 2.0L TDI's that get the emissions fix have some kind of emissions-related warranty extension that also covers the HPFP. For MY2015, that is a 5-year/60,000 mile warranty extension. Not quite as long as the MY2009-MY2012 2.0L TDI's have from their original non-emissions warranty extension.

Yet, I think both the EA189 diesel engine and the EA288 diesel engine use the same Bosch CP4.1 HPFP on the engines. Unless the Bosch CP4.1 HPFP evolved over time to nearly eliminate the potential for failure, the current warranty extensions that exist favor the MY2009-MY2012 vehicles vs. later model year vehicles.

I got what I was looking for - this understanding.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
The 15 will come with a 11 year, 162k from original in service date warranty, OR 5/60 from the date of the modification, whichever is greater (in your favor). Different than the 09-12 extension, but still pretty great. You're probably right in that the HPFP didn't evolve much.

Vaughan_TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI NMS - DSG
HPFP Failure - After Emissions fix blamed on Contaminated fuel

They will send you a booklet with Extended warranty under Emissions fix program and then when you have a failure they will blame it on Contaminated fuel. Ask me how do I know?

Read my other posts about the hell I'm going through dealing with VW dealers and VW Canada.

VW will never learn there lessons until people start shaming them in public and stop buying their cars.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Contaminated fuel: That's why I (try to) always fill up at the same station, keep the receipt, and write the mileage on it. That way I have a paper trail to make the fuel supplier responsible if VW denies coverage.

Vaughan_TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI NMS - DSG
Please read my post, I'm 100 percent sure that it was not the fuel. The mileage on the car is 278,000KMS. I drove the car for 300Kms after the last fill up. I even took the sample of the fuel before taking it to the dealership. They simply added gas to the tank and said its contaminated fuel. How on the earth would you prove that they did that.

They don't let you watch the mechanic who is working on the car so how would you know what they did. I Found out that VW negotiates a much lower labor rate with the dealer for Warranty work, so that might be a motivation as to why they don't want to do such a labor intensive work under Warranty.