Mahindra Truck will be here 4th Quarter

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/18/your-chance-to-be-among-the-first-to-test-drive-a-new-mahindra-p/

Are you holding out for a Mahindra trucks and wondering how they stack up against more established brands? Then you need to head on over to Mahindra's Web site and sign up for some seat time.

Mahindra importer Global Vehicles is all set for a fourth-quarter 2009 launch of their first offerings from India and is taking names for early test drives. From what we can gather from the company's U.S. Web site, they'll be parading around the country soon, giving interested pickup shoppers a spin around the block in its two- or four-door diesel-powered pickup trucks. On the site, there's a lot of bragging about the two-door's seven-foot bed (Toyota's Tacoma has a six-footer), four-year, 60k-mile warranty, six-speed automatic trans, and clean-burning, four-cylinder diesel engine.

No word yet on, well, a lot of things. Like what cities this national tour will be trucking through or even when it will begin. More importantly, the company has said it has 325 dealers lined up, but still hasn't brought up pricing, EPA fuel economy numbers, crash test ratings or an exact date that sales will begin. For now we'll have to make do with the vague "fourth quarter of 2009" and the promise of an early test drive.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Registered. Let's hope it is not vaporware still. There is a Mahindra tractor dealer right by my house, I wonder if they will get any options on a franchise to sell the trucks?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
So a friend said no EPA rating and no crash test data? They're one-ton payload, thus a weighted vehicle in NC. Akin to a F250. F250 and higher vehicles are not crash tested nor EPA rated (I can't find a crash test rating or EPA data for any F250 which is a one-ton rated truck).

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
I figured they'd find a way to screw this up. No manual transmission option. I signed up for a road test anyway.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
The payload capacity is different from the nominal weight rating. There are versions of the Ford F-150 that have a higher payload capacity than quoted for the Mahindra. The F-150 has been traditionally called a "half-ton" pickup, but there are versions that have a payload capacity of more like a ton and a half.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
But you don't see crash test ratings on the one ton models, just the half ton. They assume the one ton model will be the same... just like Wagons. They don't actually test the SportWagen they base it off the Sedan's performance since it's the same platform.

I would like to see EPA fuel ratings.

Matthew_S - while I somewhat agree, this is a company that likely would very well listen to customer feedback. I think a 6-speed auto was the smartest move they could have made. This makes it popular to the masses, and really, I think I'd rather have an automatic in a truck (because I don't haul often, and I'm a pansy)... which means if I think this is great, most everyone else who wants an F150 or something between Ranger and F150 (this vehicle) will be pleased.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I would like to see fuel economy ratings, too. I will also be interested to hear how people like the truck. Our expectations about vehicles have grown, and if it's too crude (that is, too much like a 1980s small pickup) it might not do too well. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I have had doubts from the beginning, but maybe I'm wrong.

oilhammer

TDI
I think it will be too gussied up with added on crap for my tastes, because that is what they think every American wants :rolleyes: . They already cursed it with a manditory slushbox... at least it is a 6 speed ZF unit as I understand.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
It has 8" ground clearnace -- 2" more than our 05 Liberty CRD. The Liberty was "on par" with Grandpa's old Dodge pickup he's looking to replace. I think we found him the replacement -- from a tractor company, of all places :D

Sadly he needs the autobox, he's about to turn 84.

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
As far as I understand they won't be adding all the luxury items. From my reading is that it will have basic stuff to make the truck comfortable and that's about it.

oilhammer

TDI
buckeye96 said:
As far as I understand they won't be adding all the luxury items. From my reading is that it will have basic stuff to make the truck comfortable and that's about it.
Yeah, but define 'basic'. Cloth seats, carpet, power windows, 12 cupholders, vanity mirrors, etc. are not basic in my book.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
oilhammer said:
Yeah, but define 'basic'. Cloth seats, carpet, power windows, 12 cupholders, vanity mirrors, etc. are not basic in my book.
The level of "basic" has moved up in recent years. The suppliers can make higher margins off those features. Even the basic radio is now a CD player (min) that can play MP3's etc. Unless you order (if you can) a vehicle without a radio, you get an overpriced unit with crappy speakers.

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
The fact that the only pics we've seen are those same stock photos over and over and over again regrettably makes me a tad suspicious...

booty

Veteran Member
To big

I was hoping this truck would be about the size of an 82 Toyota. That size with 2.2L diesel would deliver around 40 mpg or more. This one is most likely to big and to expensive and will just be another F150 sized pickup with an under powered diesel.

oilhammer

TDI
I could barely get 30 MPG with my '82 Toyota diesel...and it was so underpowered it could barely pull you off a toilet seat. It was not a bad running truck though. Just did not like hills or heavy loads or the A/C. :eek:

The Mahindra is really comparable in size to the current US-market Tacoma (which rides on a modified Land Cruiser Prado frame), the current US-market Frontier, the current Dakata/Raider twins, or the GM Colorado/Canyon/I-series triplets. In other words, I would classify it as a 'midsize' pickup in relation to other pickups that are being and have been sold here. The only truly compact pickup left here is the long-in-the-tooth Ranger, which except for a slightly lengthened cab in 1998 is still the same size it was in 1983.

Sad that compact pickups like the Ranger, as well as all my pre-2002 Toyotas, seem to be going the way of the do-do. But really, if the manufacturers insist on not selling them with a proper 4-cyl turbodiesel like they do in the rest of the world, what is the point? My 4.0L V6 Ranger used as much gas as my 4.9L F150 (really, it did!). And my 2.3L 4 cyl Ranger actually was not all that frugal, despite being reasonably torquey.

I think the VM Motori 2.8L 4 cyl TD used in the Libby would be an excellent engine for a full-sized pickup if geared properly, and would be hands-down fantastic for one of these mid-sized ones. Probably overkill for a compact one though. Modern 4 cyl turbodiesels in the 2.5L+ range have as much or more useable torque than many gas V8s, yet can still deliver stunning 30 MPG+ fuel economy. Why nobody has marketed such a vehicle here yet is really beyond me.

ckbarcus

TDI
2000 golf,2011 jetta sports wg.
e-mail w/ GV-USA last week the only options (at the moment)
will be 16" alloy wheels,Leather seats & a towing pkg.
Hope the Locker is standard or in the tow pkg. and not just a
myth. Susposely not all testing (US Gov?) have been completed yet
per GV

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/19/report-mahindra-capitalizes-on-detroit-3-dealer-closings-picks/

Many communities have felt the sting of closing dealerships, but it appears for some that capitalism Mahindra is coming to the rescue. The Indian truck manufacturer is sweeping in to sign up recently booted Chrysler dealers to sell their fuel efficient diesel pickups. Mahindra is hoping to soon have 300 dealers online and ready to sell the inexpensive trucks. Mahindra had earlier announced that it had over 300 dealers signed up to sell the truck, but the difficult economy and a lack of available credit likely prevented many from having a dealership online in time for the truck's fall introduction. The experienced, ready-for-business Chrysler dealerships are like a gift placed in the lap of the Indian truck maker.

In the Detroit area, the Detroit Free Press is reporting that two former Chrysler dealers will begin selling the truck this fall. The Mahindra truck will exclusively contain 2.2-liter diesel powertrains mated to six speed transmissions. The trucks should easily be able to hit 30 mpg on the highway, while also giving owners the ability to carry a 1.3-ton payload. The Mahindra truck will also cost 10-15% less than comparable Japanese offerings.

The Free Press also reported that Mahindra is planning a diesel-powered SUV for mid-2010. The SUV will reportedly have a price tag in the $13-15k range.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
DFW Mahindra Truck dealer now has a website (crappy, but it exists): http://www.dfwmahindra.com/index.php?x=contactus

Road & Track spied it in testing on 3.2009: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7856 (cited up to 39mpg in article)

Edmonds Blog states this: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/05/mahindra-delays-us-pickup-truck-until-2010.html

Edmonds said:
Mahindra and Mahindra has once again delayed the introduction of its compact pickup truck in the States. The company now says it will introduce the truck sometime in 2010. The Indian company originally planned to build the truck in a plant in Ohio, but it now says it will import fully assembled trucks from India. Even with the so-called 25% "chicken tax" on imported trucks, Mahindra says it's still cheaper than getting a U.S. plant ready for production.
The Mahindra pickup is expected to use a 2.2-liter diesel engine and a 6-speed automatic transmission and sell for $22,000 to $25,000.

UPDATE: Mahindra spokesman Mike Geylin says the original report misquoted the company's representative. The company is still planning to start sales of its compact truck later this year in select markets.
The question to me is where will it launch initially? I think Texas, the planes, and parts of the south east would be wise -- Iowa, The Carolinas, Georgia, etc.

TIME also did an article on the 23rd about this, with new photos (from a car show): http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1906517,00.html?xid=rss-fullworld-yahoo

And last but not least in their own land they've got a CNG pickup in development: http://article.wn.com/view/2009/05/26/Mahindra_launches_CNG_pickup_truck/

I think this is real, I think initially they will be importing the whole shebang and then using the mentioned Ohio plant to handle final assembly and avoid the "chicken tax," but I think they will have a limited number for sale by the end of December to meet the Q4 deadline.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
There is an article on Mahindra's plans at http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/24/autos/Indian_cars_mahindra/index.htm?cnn=yes

There isn't much new in it, but if you do some tea-leaf reading, there are some interesting points. One is that the importer may be misjudging who the market is. That is not necessarily a big problem. For example, BMW thought the Mini would appeal to kids, but their major buyers were nostalgic baby boomers. There were plenty of them to make the Mini a success. There are also indications that the fittings might be too basic for a large market, not necessarily too basic for some here, but maybe too basic for a wide market in the US.

The first big test will be whether any actually show up this year.

Phil_R

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
Work trucks are still available from US auto makers... My '08 F250 XL has manual windows, no carpet, vinyl seats, manual hubs & transfer case (4x4), and basic radio (am/fm) without CD or MP3. It does have 6.4L diesel engine, auto-transmission, power steering (tilt), cruise, and built-in electronic control for trailer brakes.

The only accessories I've installed are tube-steps for easy entry, and a gooseneck hitch to safely tow the rated 12,500 pounds. This is a full-size pickup with extended cab and 8' bed... 158" wheelbase. A farm truck that you can clean inside and out, with a water hose. And yes, I'd be happy to check out Mahindras diesel pickup.

oilhammer

TDI
Phil, while I am sure your truck serves some purpose, it is a freakin' zip code to me. Yes, I have owned full-sized trucks. But really have no use for something that can pull my house down. That's silly. Full sized pickups flourish nowhere else on the planet but here, really. Yet others still seem to have roads, bridges, schools, etc. just like we do.

Farmers everywhere else can get by just fine with a Toyota HiLux diesel. That is what I want. Was just watching a documentary on building a huge hydroelectric power plant in New Zealand....nothing but 4 cyl diesel compact pickups. Not a single F series anywhere.

If you need to pull something that weighs 30,000 pounds, that's certainly going to take a truck larger than a HiLux. But I have never, nor will I ever, need something like that. And I bet 90% of people in the USA that buy those monsters do either. Seeings how I share the road every day with dozens of empty full size behemoths with nothing but the driver to carry I'd say I may be on to something. And I live in the middle of farm country (I literally have a field in front of and behind my house!).

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Around here, you mostly will see those be-moth diesel pickups with a horse trailer hitched to it hauling at least two horses. I can see how they can be useful for that. Or for that matter my nephew who has a handyman business and tows a long trailer with his tools.

Phil_R

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
oilhammer said:
Phil, while I am sure your truck serves some purpose, it is a freakin' zip code to me.

Weight of tractor, loader, backhoe is 7,000 pounds, plus any additional equipment, plus 24' gooseneck trailer. Hauling hay usually puts a bit more weight on the trailer. Gooseneck horse trailer weighs 4,000 pounds empty. (aluminum 6 horse trailer) A ton of feed and a months groceries in back is a light load. Plus, I just like driving it... next to the duallies and real trucks, it feels like a compact.