OEM wheel weight for nb?/ lower weight wheels?

thelemite

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta black
Whats the OEM weight for the standard wheels(with the cheap covers) on the 16 inch on the NB? Would lower weight wheels increase fuel economy? And as a bonus any thoughts as to the best tires for fuel economy? Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus?

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Lower weight wheels can have a benefit on fuel economy - especially if they are not larger and the same tire (compound, diameter, width, and pressure) are used. There are theoretical exceptions to that, but they would require a small difference in mass and that the mass be inordinately confined to the outer portion of the wheel.
Any changes in fuel economy will also be positively correlated to the percentage of your driving that is "city" or "stop-and-go" as the torque used to accelerate the wheel is the reason mass and mass distribution influence economy; at constant speed, the change in mass or distribution of mass is theoretically irrelevant. Don't expect a large change, though some may have seen large changes.

Sorry I can't help you with the tire choice, but a search probably could.

thelemite

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta black
Well it seems like i can find wheels as light as 11.5 lbs for 16" wheels. If the OEm is 20 lbs that would seem to make a difference even in amount of mass carried. 34 lbs less weight not to mention the rolling resistance issue.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
How much are they and what's the link? That's a great weight for that size!

Please share w/everyone.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Wouldn't the lower wheel weights end up being upper wheel weights since the wheel spins?

Is this something like "Well, it's only flat on the bottom"?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Wouldn't the lower wheel weights end up being upper wheel weights since the wheel spins?

Not lower as in position, lower as in lesser. (as in, 11.5 pounds is lower than 20 pounds)

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
lower weight rimes help very little in MPGs. why?

physics. the majority weight effect is on the outside of a circle. the actual rim and tire will effect the resistance to spin the most. having a lighter weight center has little effect.

What little gain in weight loss would probably be offset by the .cd of the new rim.

try and find a method to use Honda Insight rims. 14" about 12lbs and the best .cd design.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Ah, dang...one of these days ebay is going to come through for me on a set of (real) magnesium wheels of correct bolt pattern. I know it! In the 70's there was a company that made a 15" wheel of magnesium 5-spoke design. Weighing 6 lbs or something ridiculously light
I want some of those.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Not lower as in position, lower as in lesser. (as in, 11.5 pounds is lower than 20 pounds)
OIC said the blindman.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
There was a thread by SUNRG looking for light weight wheels in the "Non Engine Performance" section of the website. Do a search, the thread was quite a few pages long...

I'll echo what 03_01_TDI said. For the most part you won't see much difference in fuel economy by changing the wheels because most of the weight is in the center of the circle. Finding a lightweight tire would be more beneficial...