www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 15th, 2017, 00:41   #1
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!
Default Asphaltene Issues related to ULSD

Start using Power Service "Diesel Kleen" on every tank... Stock or Aftermarket, your injectors and fuel system will thank you!

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...ne%20Boost.pdf

Must read:
https://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/ULSD-Fuel.pdf

Last edited by Drivbiwire; July 15th, 2017 at 07:09.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:56   #2
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post
Start using Power Service "Diesel Kleen" on every tank... Stock or Aftermarket, your injectors and fuel system will thank you!

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...ne%20Boost.pdf

Get ready for all the NAY Sayers coming out of the woodwork now !!!

I've been using PowerService "Silver" only since 2005. But I do not spend winters in the cold !

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:08   #3
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

https://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/ULSD-Fuel.pdf
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:10   #4
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

On Heavy duty trucks where the fuel gets hot...it builds up...forms little black balls, reside..but FUEL doesn't seem to get as hot...not as much getting sent back to the tank in a TDI.
I use PS for other reasons.
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:18   #5
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
On Heavy duty trucks where the fuel gets hot...it builds up...forms little black balls, reside..but FUEL doesn't seem to get as hot...not as much getting sent back to the tank in a TDI.
I use PS for other reasons.
For every unit of fuel burned 200 parts are circulated back to the tank...

The TDI circulates at idle approx 2 liters per minute of fuel, at 5100 rpm, return rates to the tank are approx 8 liters per minute.

Fuel in at the ALH TDI, has very little return rate from the injectors, these are effectively a total loss system in the sense that once the fuel is pushed to the injector nearly all that fuel is delivered to the cylinder. The problem with this is that the fuel is heated and after the 6-8 injection events required to push the fuel from the plunger to the nozzle, it has increased in temperature significantly and is easily exceeding 300-400F. This causes varnishes to form if fuel additives are not being utilized.
Old July 15th, 2017, 13:27   #6
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

I run it in every single tank of fuel. Silver bottle in the summer, white bottle in the winter.

I always figured, even if it was only for placebo effect, I was OK with it.

2003 Black Golf TDI 5spd. DLC520's & Vented.
2006 White Jetta BRM TDI 5spd w/Black Leather.
2011 Black Lexus IS250 AWD. My wife's, the high roller.
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 13:30   #7
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

I just got back in a TDI, my fourth, in May when the opportunity to purchase a new old stock EPA re-release GSW for $8K off at 0% for 72 months (a veritable no-brainer) presented itself.

I decided to experiment on the first several tanks, rotating through Stanadyne Lubricity, Stanadyne Performance, OptiLube XPD, and Power Service summer (silver bottle). The first three are all demulsifiers while PS is more preferable as the only emulsifier and will pass any water safely through the system without collecting. I'm also finding that PS is returning significantly better mpg for me, so the experimenting phase is over and it'll be PS silver until late fall, and then PS white until spring.
Old July 16th, 2017, 14:53   #8
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Optilube XPD for many years now.....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 00:20   #9
lovemybug
Veteran Member

Been using both white and grey bottle PS for many years. Started using Howe's recently, and it seems my performance has gotten better. No concrete evidence, just seat of the pants feel.

Just out of curiosity, DBW, what's your opinion of Howe's vs. Power Service?

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:57   #10
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybug View Post
I've seen him get asked that numerous times in other threads without a response.
Old July 18th, 2017, 13:54   #11
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

I prefer the Power Service mostly for water control, but also for detergency and cetane increase.
Old July 21st, 2017, 16:44   #12
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post
I prefer the Power Service mostly for water control, but also for detergency and cetane increase.
THIS. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
I decided to experiment on the first several tanks, rotating through Stanadyne Lubricity, Stanadyne Performance, OptiLube XPD, and Power Service summer (silver bottle). The first three are all demulsifiers while PS is more preferable as the only emulsifier and will pass any water safely through the system without collecting. I'm also finding that PS is returning significantly better mpg for me, so the experimenting phase is over and it'll be PS silver until late fall, and then PS white until spring.
PowerService is not an emulsifier, IIRC. It is a solubilizer according to PS.

I've been using Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat for many years with good results. Howes is a demulsifier like Stanadyne. I have transitioned to PS Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) for water control and lubricity. My BMWs don't have a water separator that I can drain and have to rely on the few PPMs of dissolved water staying dissolved to pass through the system harmlessly. I'm also very careful to fuel up ONLY at busy high turnover stations along major routes to avoid getting watery fuel. I go where the big rigs go to fuel up in my area.

Note that PS Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) doesn't do anything for water and has no anti-gel for winter use in case the fuel isn't winterized. While anti-gel is not needed during summer months, I use PS Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) year round to control water by keeping it dissolved and to increase lubricity. Providing some Cetane boost is another benefit. I recommend using PS Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) year round. PS DK (silver bottle) is a summer only formula.

My priorities for fuel additives are to control water and increase lubricity. Providing anti-gel for winter use and increasing Cetane levels are of secondary importance.

Diesel ON!
Member SSBMWO

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html

Last edited by n1das; July 21st, 2017 at 16:48.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 16:56   #13
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybug View Post
Been using both white and grey bottle PS for many years. Started using Howe's recently, and it seems my performance has gotten better. No concrete evidence, just seat of the pants feel.
I noticed that too with my TDIs years ago. An overdose of Howes simply shows no further improvement, if any. From my experience, an overdose of PS can result in a slight drop in MPGs. I can't tell any difference in my BMWs with Howes vs. PS in terms of MPGs and performance.

I've transitioned to PS Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) for water control and lubricity. I like both Howes and PS but how PS controls water was what tipped me toward PS and away from Howes.
Member SSBMWO

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 13:11   #14
The Tortoise

Dumb questions. I read the owners manual and there was no mention of additives.

1) What's VW's take on additives? If something goes wrong with the DPF and they determine additives were to blame, where does that leave the owner.

2) How much benefit do they really provide? Am I naive in thinking the cars have been designed to safely burn ULSD?

Thanks.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 15:08   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

VW does not recommend any particular additive. They do sell Stanadyne though. Any name brand additive will work fine if the instructions for dosing are followed.

There are those who use them regularly and those who never use them and a few in between.

First you need to determine what you are trying to fix/modify for. Those in cold climates are the usual ones to use them the most to stop/deter freezing of the fuel. Others want them for lubricity purposes and some who want the cetane boost or anti water properties.

There are many threads here on additives. I would suggest reading some and in the end you will have to make up your own mind. They stink real bad so don't spill any or get any on yourself/clothing/car/equipment. Best not to store them in the car either if you can help it as most will leak and get all over everything around. A little goes a long way in the smell department and it doesn't wash out easy either. Good luck with your decision!