www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 14th, 2017, 20:00   #166
A-man930

TDI(s): none yet!

very interested to see how the heavy flywheel works out.
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 20:06   #167
evguy1

TDI(s): 2004 BEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohead1 View Post
Turns out one of the 6 adapter bolts backed out and the washer and lock washer were randomly making a ding noise.
Be sure there is RED locktight on those 6 bolts. A couple of people have had them back out......including me. Red locktight is a diesel swapers friend.
Coming from a business doing electric vehicles conversions for 27 years I just never have to worry about vibration so the diesel swaps have been a real introduction to the problems of the ICE.
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 09:25   #168
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evguy1 View Post
Be sure there is RED locktight on those 6 bolts. A couple of people have had them back out......including me. Red locktight is a diesel swapers friend.
Coming from a business doing electric vehicles conversions for 27 years I just never have to worry about vibration so the diesel swaps have been a real introduction to the problems of the ICE.

Good to know. I have red on the crank spacer bolts and flywheel bolts. I was always kinda used blue or green locktight on aluminum as the softer stuff would sometimes take the threads out with red. These went in dry. They will get something going back in this time though.
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 16:34   #169
Motohead1
Veteran Member

So finally got the truck back together. Replaced all the ball joints and bushings, shocks, steering rack and pulled my 240K mile trans and put in a 150K mile spare NV3500. Also lock tight on every adapter bolt. Had one that was loose making me think it was a transmission noise as it was rubbing the back of the flywheel and all others were snug but not as tight as when I put them in. Lock tight should fix all that now.

The big upgrade though was the 40lbs (more like 42) flywheel. stock4.0 jeep is 27lbs

The rattling intermediate shaft in the NV3500 is definitely quieter. The from idle inertia helps too not that it was lacking before. But now its smooth no matter what gear or throttle input your giving. Its a must buy IMHO.

Tires and alignment is next.
Old July 24th, 2017, 23:43   #170
xjjeeper

Great news about the flywheel! I'll deffinatly grab one when I'm at that point with my xj alh swap
Old July 27th, 2017, 17:26   #171
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Wheels tires and alignment. I went with a deal I found on a 265/70 r17 Goodyear Authority used. Measures 31.7 inches. Anything bigger than that would rub for sure.

I need to do a boost leak test as today I got overboost code. Kinda worried me at first as it wasent making much part throttle boost suddenly on the highway and egts went up. It cleared up after a restart. Ill have to do some research on causes for that.
Old July 27th, 2017, 18:30   #172
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

Are you attributing the quiet NV3500 idler rattle (marbles in a can sound) to the flywheel or is it a result of the different trans?

Is the surface on the centerforce FW curved as the oem one is supposedly?

Which clutch are you using...or how much is it rated for?
Old July 27th, 2017, 18:39   #173
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Stock View Post
Are you attributing the quiet NV3500 idler rattle (marbles in a can sound) to the flywheel or is it a result of the different trans?

Is the surface on the centerforce FW curved as the oem one is supposedly?

Which clutch are you using...or how much is it rated for?
Flywheel for sure made the difference. My original trans is still good and measured the same lash and the newer one.

Not sure on the curve? looked like stock except the back is completely solid.

Clutch is a stock $46 rock auto clutch for a 2001 4.0 jeep.