Taking Tuned Car back to dealer

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
So as many of you was unhappy with the fix and tuned the car almost immediately. I now need my first adblue fill up. Worth it to just do myself or should I take the car in? Do I flash it to stock? Curious if there is updated emissions fix software they will try to flash.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For the three bucks that it will take to buy your own and fill it yourself???

Unless the car has to go back to the dealer for something else, this isn't even worth the time for a dealer trip.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would not even waste the time dealing with anyone over a couple bucks worth of DEF. I just keep some at home and top it up in the driveway.

Just remember to keep it sealed up, and try and keep it out of temp extremes (there are warnings on the label).

I do not know what the "free DEF fill" dealer regimen actually means. Do they just run a porter out to your car in the service lane and top it up? Or do they actually go through all the song and dance of writing up an RO and having you sit and wait. Either way, not worth the hassle.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Kind of agree. I've only ever put it is the car once and it was emergency gas station fill up.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I concur; I wouldn't take the tuned car in for a DEF fill. But I'm in your shoes in that I'm strongly considering a tune on my JSW. My plan is to tune it with the flashzilla and to reinstall the stock map if I need to bring it to the dealer for warranty related work. My understanding is that as long as I flash back to stock it won't be detectable.

I wouldn't want to risk the LONG extended emissions warranty by bringing in a tuned car.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My understanding is that as long as I flash back to stock it won't be detectable.

I wouldn't want to risk the LONG extended emissions warranty by bringing in a tuned car.
This question comes up repeatedly. I believe your understanding is incorrect. They can read how many times the ECU has been flashed. That said, not sure why they would spend the time to check.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I haven't played around with VCDS as much on these as my older VE/PD cars. Did a scan and pulled this up:

Control Module Part Number: 7P0 907 401 K
Component and/or Version: 3.0TDI FSA X19 0011
Software Coding: 292A4012233600050000
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
VCID: 3777130D8E99D6FCE9-8062

Advanced Identification/FAZIT
Identification: BPG-810
Revision: 56X19---
Date: 30.08.12
Manufacturer number: 1329
Test stand number: 0322
Flash Status
Programming Attempts(application): 3/4/4
Successful Attempts(application): 3/4/4
Flash Date: 00.00.00

The older flash loaders you can reset the count I thought.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
This question comes up repeatedly. I believe your understanding is incorrect. They can read how many times the ECU has been flashed. That said, not sure why they would spend the time to check.
Right, the flash count goes up. I've read that as well. B The dealer would have to have kept a record of flash count on your file since its clearly been flashed multiple times already due to the emissions fix. It seems like that would take an extremely overzealous dealer who was out to get you for some reason.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
These cars get reflashed so many times I doubt any dealer could make a case for whether or not a car was flashed outside the VW network. If they even bothered to check. And what incentive does a dealer have to check, anyway?

oilhammer

TDI
You guys have to remember, the "flashing" does not actually happen at the dealer. They (the technician) plugs the DLC in and the actual work is done via the internet and someone in a white lab coat in Wolfsburg is checking in on things. That is why the flashes become so burdensome and often get screwed up. Because the Germans that can do no wrong that designed such an albatross did their testing with the car in the next room, not the next continent.

They (the folks in Germany) can "see" a lot more than you think, and it all gets recorded. Germans are off the deep end on this sort of thing. You should see the hoops you have to jump through to get an OTIS machine set up and working.... :rolleyes:

I am doing a 2009 T'reg update right now:

It has been updating for 45 minutes, and it is one file number 3. It may go another hour, LOL...

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
These cars get reflashed so many times I doubt any dealer could make a case for whether or not a car was flashed outside the VW network. If they even bothered to check. And what incentive does a dealer have to check, anyway?
These days, reflashing AND diagnostic work is done through an internet connection as mentioned above, and it's a trivial programming task for it to inquire and record the flash counter status logged to each VIN (your vehicle). If it ever comes in for ANY diagnostic work and the current flash counter doesn't match what they have on record for what it was the last time it left their control, they know someone has been in there. This happens automatically without the dealer having to take any intentional actions.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5635710-TD1-warranty-flag

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

If you want to preserve the warranty that came with your emissions fix ... leave the car alone until that warranty is somewhere near done and it doesn't matter any more.

oilhammer

TDI
The GM tool has a mileage checker, too, and will alert the user if the car it is hooked to has an internal odometer reading that is less than what it had on record for that VIN at the last session. So far, it just gives a warning, but I suppose they could just as easily make it refuse to load a file... which could be interesting as many of the newer GM slushboxes have the TCM internal to the unit, so when they die the replacements need to be programmed (unlike a DSG, they come "empty" with no software at all).

You should see the new fiasco that FCA has... ROFL... what a trainwreck that is. Every time you start the program, you have to generate and load an access code, and you have exactly 31 seconds, or it locks you out. You get three attempts. If you do not get the code loaded after that, you get to call a 1-800 number and have to convince them to let you try again. Given the fact that the 31 seconds is barely enough, if there is a slow internet connection (on our end OR their end) that day, then.... :mad: And those cars have software updates weekly, for just about everything. It is nuts. I could spend all day every day just doing FCA software updates. :rolleyes:

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
A connection to VCDS just to check and modify some settings does not constitute a flash, correct?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just heard a buddies sisters uncles cousin had his entire rear end diff haldex unit replaced on his '16 R after being Unitronic Stg 2 and flashing back to stock before coming in after lighting up his front tires. He is not flagged TD1 in the VW system.

Sounded like he was friends with a few techs at the dealership. Either way, he was spared the $2800+ repair bill.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Does the OP also have the dealer fill up their windshield washer fluid? Some people enjoy it when a dealer takes care of their customers.

The 2.5gal block jugs come with a nozzle spout, no funnel needed, 2.5 gallons goes in under 4 minutes, motor on. I scored an O'reily's branded block for $13. The local pay at the pump DEF was down and the truck stop only had 2.5gal jugs for sale at $20 bucks a pop, eff that.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just filled mine from Walmart at $12 each block (Peak DEF).The other brand was $8. As stated they have the nozzle in the block and only took a few minutes to fill. No more warning after second start. Done and done. No pumps around here I could find even though some are listed as having them.