daytime running lights no worky

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
Hi, I know most go to great lengths to disable DRL's but I kind of like mine. They became intermittent then finally stopped working completely. My headlights work just fine and no other issues. Just my DRLs quit working. I'd like to fix them but not really sure where to start. Anyone know of a common issue with these when they stop working (other than someone intentionally disabled them)?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would suspect the DRL relay, position 19 (upper left) of the relay panel inside the car. Just a guess, never had to troubleshoot one.

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
I would suspect the DRL relay, position 19 (upper left) of the relay panel inside the car. Just a guess, never had to troubleshoot one.
Sounds like a very good possibility. Just had the 109 go bad a couple weeks ago. I was looking at the bentley diagram and didn't see that there was a relay in that system but I'll take a look.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The one time I've had DRL issues with a Jetta it was in fact the DRL relay itself... handbrake light was working fine but there was no tell-tale click from the row of relays under the dash as the handbrake was cycled.

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
The one time I've had DRL issues with a Jetta it was in fact the DRL relay itself... handbrake light was working fine but there was no tell-tale click from the row of relays under the dash as the handbrake was cycled.
I'm sure that's the problem. Any idea what the part number is on that relay?

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
Have you looked? It is probably ON the relay. ;)
No I haven't looked yet. Just thought someone would have a PN so I can knock it all out at once. Not a big deal, was just hoping someone might know off hand. Pure laziness, or efficient depending on how you want to look at it. :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not know for sure what position number is on the relay itself, but that does not have anything to do with the position in the plate. At least, not to my knowledge, as there are relays with higher numbers on them than there are positions available (like 109, 409, etc.).

What is the VAG part number on the relay itself? XXX-XXX-XXX-X

For instance, a relay 109 for the ALH is 1J0-906-381-A (I know that one by heart, LOL).

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
I do not know for sure what position number is on the relay itself, but that does not have anything to do with the position in the plate. At least, not to my knowledge, as there are relays with higher numbers on them than there are positions available (like 109, 409, etc.).
What is the VAG part number on the relay itself? XXX-XXX-XXX-X
For instance, a relay 109 for the ALH is 1J0-906-381-A (I know that one by heart, LOL).

I just ordered the replacement and will figure out where it goes by the terminal position. Since I don't know exactly which relay is the DRL relay. Not showing any relays in the Bentley wiring diagram for that system.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
your looking in the wrong area, right section. in the electrical section, usually early in the section look for the fuse box, the relay panel should be right near it. should show you everything/what you want.(in the manual that is).

Dieselfiend

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Red TDI
Appears as thought the DRL relay fixed my problem. Also, for further clarification for anyone having this problem in the future. The DRL relay is also known as the headlight relay and is stamped with the number 173. In my case it was relay location 15.