www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 30th, 2019, 02:14   #1

Default Alh turbo on mk1 1.6 n/a

I've been restoring an mk1 rabbit I picked up a few months ago. It's an n/a 1.6

I've also got an extra vnt15 laying around. Now im almost positive it will bolt up. But does anyone have any idea on how to make the wastegate function properly? I'm well aware of the engine not being able to handle much boost. Seeing if this adventure is anything possible
9755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 04:04   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

It's a VNT vein not a waste gate. It's actuated by vacuum.
More vacuum, more boost.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 04:09   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I would not attempt that.

Couple reasons:

First, if your 1.6L is the early one, the headgaskets are hard to keep bolted down already. If it is the later one, that is better, but still not ideal

If you get an even later 1.6L, the hydraulic one, you can at least upgrade to the MLS headgasket from an AAZ engine.

However, the factory 1.6L turbo engines had a far more turbo-friendly compression ratio (different pistons) as well as piston cooling jets and an oil cooler (your current engine has none of those items).

You would be better off finding a factory turbo 1.6L, but these were not super common even when new. They were only found in some Audi 4000s, Quantums, a handful of later A1 Rabbits and Jettas, and a handful of early A2 Jettas. I think the whole model year span was something like 1983 to 1986. The ECOdiesel Jetta, which came out mid-91 through 92, was also a turbo, but a very light pressure low emission unit with only a wee bit (7) more HP than the non-turbo version.

Once you realize how unobtainium those early TDs are, not to mention parts for them (as well as parts for the NA version for that matter) are quickly going away or are already gone, you may consider just converting it to a TDI engine. These are more readily available, the early TDIs (B4 Passat, A3 Jetta) are the same engine family as what you have, so they will bolt right in, and those engines easily outlast the rust-prone A3 bodies. You can also convert them to "M-TDI" meaning to run without any electronic controls if you wish. They are a simple wastegated turbo (the VNT is not) so can be easily controlled by what is already there.
Old August 30th, 2019, 04:57   #4

I have been looking for a 1.6 turbo for a while and have found zero that were under a grand. I had considered doing a Tdi swap. But again I'm having a time finding anything reasonably priced that's under a few hrs away. Sounds like if I can't find something i like price wise, I will keep it n/a. As it will only be a weekend cruiser
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:14   #5
AndyBees
Veteran Member

There may be some info here .... http://vwdiesel.net/forum/

Also, seems there is another site for the IDI engines.
Old September 1st, 2019, 14:00   #6
bbob203
Veteran Member

TDI(s): b5.5v
Fuel Economy: 38-42

Sell your 1.6tdad well as the vnt and use the money to buy an AHU, a k14 turbo from an AAZ motor and an MTDI pump. I had this setup in a b3 passat it was a great motor.
bbob203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2019, 21:56   #7
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

1.6TD are hard to find, I've had one from a 1988 Canadian Jetta sitting on an engine stand for 18 years still haven't managed to get it done. It was supposed to go in my 86 Golf D, then it was going to be changed to longitudinal and wedged into my Fox 2dr sedan, which never happened because the 1.6NA in that car ran good and someone wanted to buy the Fox real bad.

Steve

the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:05   #8

I could sell the engine. But in my area people are struggling to sell them at $200. The cheapest I've found an ahu in my area is $1200. And almost a grand for an aaz
Old September 7th, 2019, 19:03   #9
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

you can set up the actuator with a normal boost actuator can, then screw in the stop screw until your EMP at unloaded cruise is tolerable

you however should be aware that with the mechanical governor you have zero torque control, so you're really only doing it for altitude compensation and EGT control when loading it more harshly than it'd typically see. If you turn the fuel screw up too much you'll push the head gasket out real fast.

a much better suited mod for an NA IDI is to bump up the max speed governor so you still get full fuel past 1500 RPM, you would do well to wire up a rev limiter to the shutoff solenoid though.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 05:52   #10
Taco8v

TDI(s): Alh wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9755 View Post
I've been restoring an mk1 rabbit I picked up a few months ago. It's an n/a 1.6

I've also got an extra vnt15 laying around. Now im almost positive it will bolt up. But does anyone have any idea on how to make the wastegate function properly? I'm well aware of the engine not being able to handle much boost. Seeing if this adventure is anything possible

I had done 2 of this 1.6 n/a to diesel with a vnt turbo and honestly i did put a choke cable ran it to inside the cabin. And I moved the vanes manually.
Yes i moved manually but I found out the turbo on small side it builds way passing 35psi. And thats just passing 1500 rpm so what i did was only to set the turbo at bigger side and taking off it lagging for a couple seconds but from there i have turbo all the time and it doesnít build boost as the vanes set to small side so I ended just removing the choke cable for the vanes and leave the vanes rod at open turbo vanes and after 5 years the i did it. the car still working fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taco8v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 09:06   #11

I also contemplated leaving the vnt actuator and screwing it in or out until I find a moderate boost level. Id assume it would be full boost from the get go. Not exactly what I'm looking for. But I do have a lead on an ahu and trans. Hoping it pans out
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:42   #12
Taco8v

Default Alh turbo on mk1 1.6 n/a

That or just look online for a small external waste-gate and weld it into the egr exhoust coming from the turbo manifold i did that also and i can have more control of the turbo. (Check my build at instagram tacovw)
And man you should hear the sound of that external from my diesel black smoke from under the hood lol

Last edited by Taco8v; September 11th, 2019 at 05:48.
Old September 11th, 2019, 16:57   #13

I also had considered cutting the turbo from the manifold and welding a plate to mount a different turbo on. I'm in zero rush so I'm open to other options and opinions. And if I can piece things together over this winter thats fine with me. This will only be a nice day/weekend cruiser. The only reason I'm looking to add the turbo is because my ol lady drove it the other day around the block after doing breaks. And it being about as fast as our lawnmower has her concerned for when we actually do drive it.
Old September 16th, 2019, 08:42   #14
Taco8v

Mmm manifold is cast iron i donít think it will hold man. But hey you can try

Old September 16th, 2019, 11:07   #15

Cast isn't hard to weld to. Just need to heat it up and weld with nickel rod. But I haven't welded steel to it. I could also make a manifold and go from there. Still depends on if I can work out a deal with a guy that has an ahu