Lets talk Regens

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
With all the mis-information going around about a 'regen' and how they occur, how often, what type, how can I change when, what should I expect, and what temps it occurs at. The guys on here have prompted me to go out and learn the facts.

First, lets see what we know(good question for the experts)..

How many different 'regen' cycles are there in the CRD?

Now lets see, last week I was all over the exhaust system on a 09 on my lift, looking at putting everything together, component identification, sensors, and checking out the flapper valve. I was interested in possibly modifing the exhaust(of course keeping it legal, and not to demise the regen or inhibit operation.)

Basically the DPF holds the soot as if it were a filter however it is also lined with a catalyst(now many people know this or understand this), The DPF and the DeOX share a common container, that is dircetly mounted downstream of the turbo exhaust housing. So the exhaust hits the DeOX first and then it enters the DPF which is a 'container'. Inside the DPF is a honeycomb of ceramic base coated with aluminum oxide. Then vapor depted with platinum which is the catalyst for the reaction.

There is a pathway through the DPF for the exhaust to flow to expose as much of the catalyst as possible(surface area).

The DPF is going to be the biggest restriction in the exhaust system due to this flow and exposure to the scrubbing agent(catalyst).

I am going out on a limb here and say that the Emissions system/exhaust system is more complicated and involves more chemistry and physics then the rest of the engine components including the fuel system. Its going to take more then a parts changer to work SUCCESSFULLY on the exhaust system.

Ok, enough for Lesson 1....until later.

Last edited:

milesstandish

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
Subscribed. Looking forward to this.

Sounds like a chemical engineer would come in handy for this :)

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
So the cat is right at the turbo exhaust flange, just like on the 06's. Interesting.

There sure is alot of equipment along the exhaust path. Correctly troubleshooting an exhaust problem will become an art form on these vehicles.

I think I'll hold onto my primitive BRM with the cam of death.:rolleyes::D

Good job as always Randy.

Mach1

TDI
Golfer those are the pictures.

Dawg, I dont think I can post where I get the info from as I am not supposed to have it.:eek:

Chris, the DPF and the DeOX filter(two different filters doing two different things chemically) are in the same canister, mounted right to the turbo exhaust housing just like our cat. Amazing! Thanks..

Anybody want to take a poke at how many different 'regens' there are?? Dawg? Rauss?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I'll guess.............passive and active. The system is quite complex,so I'm sure there might be more than two types. How about system initiated and service initiated?

Dweisel

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
I imagine the system is setup where it regens nearly all the time to some degree. Then a more complete cleaning happens occasionally. If you do a lot of slow poke driving with starts and stops, then you'll probably have a full regeneration every so often. On the hghway I bet it is able to dynamically regen only to the extent necessary to maintain normal exhaust parameters. I bet VW wont tell us all the nitty gritty details either.

milesstandish

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI
^^ that kind of fits w/ the active & passive modes. Active for short trips where exhaust doesn't heat up enough, and passive for longer trips when it does.

Probably a way for stealership service to manually induce it somehow as well.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
At least two of the filters/catalysts go through a regen cycle, the DPF and the NOx filter. It is my understanding from what I have read about these systems, there are both active and passive regen cycles for both the DPF and the NOx filter, which means there are at least four possible regen cycles that I know of. Whether or not any type of regen cycle happens for the other filters/catalysts, I do not know.

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
What then is the function of the flapper valve? Is this what I hear cycling twice after engine shut-down? Sounds like it should have a more expensive name...

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
The flapper valve creates backpressure in the exhaust so that exhaust gasses will flow through the low pressure EGR system. The low pressure EGR opens when the engine is under boost. Without the flapper in the exhaust, the exhaust gasses wouldn't flow through the EGR system because the pressure in the intake side of the engine is higher than the pressure in the exhaust system; hence the designation as a "low pressure" EGR system. The high pressure EGR system is not unlike that of previous TDIs, feeding exhaust gasses to the the intake side of the engine under idle or no boost conditions when the exhaust pressure is higher than the intake pressure. What you hear cycling when you turn the ignition off are the ASV and the EGR valves.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
OK, you advanced guys are right up to par. There are a possible 4 regen cycles.

Passive regen
Active regen
Customer initiated regeneration drive
Service generation.

OK, I read the other day where one guy was saying his light was on, others were saying they dont see their light.

What I believe was happening was, If the car is driver in short traffic conditions and it cant perform a regen because of the lower temps, then the diesel particle filter indicator light will illuminate, it prompts the driver to do a regen, so the car has to be driven hard to elevate temps for a certain time to complete the regen. This is a customer initiated regeneration drive. the ECM is telling you to perform a regen.

For Dawg. the levels are as follows..Passive to 18 grams load
Active to 24 grams
C.I.R.D to 40 grams
Service generation to 45 grams..

Then if the service regen doesnt do it and you are at 45 grams, hey you got to spend $3000 to have a new DPF installed...

The exhaust flapper performs a few functions beside the low pressure EGR movement, there is also where a diff. pressure happens between the DeOX and the turbo, the flapper smooths this pressure, also the flapper helps retain heat in the exhaust system components, which aids in the scrubber chemistry. Remember it takes heat(and alot of it) to regen and scrub the exhaust.

There are flapper valves in the front of the engine as well as the back half. These valves are there primarily to smooth pressure flows and maintain gas velocities.

Rod, yes there is a system installed to get the exhaust components heated quickly and to maintain the exhaust heat. Its amazing how much fuel is used to generate heat for the emission systems. It takes heat to clean.

Pelican, I believe the low pressure EGR dumps into the intake side of the turbo, where it is negative pressure, so the turbo draws the exhaust in, the flapper valve aids in that pressure flow.

OK, so the first question was easy, a few people got it right..Lets get a little tougher..

If anyone cares..How many EGT sensors are there? Lets not talk EGR EGT sensors yet..just the main EGT sensors. How many?

It is going to take a good Tech to troubleshoot this system and repair it. This individual has to understand basic chemistry and physics to grapse the concept of 'Green Diesels'. I still say the exhaust system and emissions routing is more high tech then the engine. The LP EGR system can make the ECM throw a code for Mass flow..WoW!! What a fun one to troubleshot..

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a small correction; it is the oxidizing catalyst that is in the same housing as the DPF, not the de-NOx catalyst. See diagram in post #3, that one shows the parts and their functions.

And there are three distinct different "regens" that occur at different intervals.

The de-NOx catalyst is regenerated at very frequent intervals during normal driving by momentarily running the engine slightly rich, provided of course that everything is in a suitable temperature range. The DPF is regenerated at less frequent intervals (300 - 500 km?) by first raising the exhaust temperature and then running the engine lean to feed the DPF an oxidizing exhaust stream. There is another sequence for regenerating the H2S catalyst, but I've forgotten what the conditions are for that one.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A few months ago I posted in another thread and stated that I had driven my wifes 09 Sedan in 5th gear at a constant 2000 rpm's for 20 minutes and that initiated a Regen. I was told I was full of crap that it doesn't work that way. On a side note: It won't work that way if you run in a higher gear as the tempertures required to start the regen are not reached in the higher gear. Thats why it doesn't regen everytime you drive it on the highway. You have to be in 4th or 5th gear and maintain the constant 2000 rpms for 20 minutes to initiate regen.

Dweisel

Mach1

TDI
Brian, I speak of the DeOX not the NOX cat. The first chamber in line is the DeOX chamber, nothing to do with the NOX, I haven't even got into that yet. I should refer to it as the OCC(oxidation Catalytic Convertor). The oxygen content in the exhaust is used to burn the mixture in the DeOX chamber. So the exhaust De oxidizes, because the exhaust releases some of that oxygen to burn in the OCC chamber. This is all done in the first chamber in-line. There is also MORE chemistry involved here, as turning the carbon monoxide and HC into carbon dioxide and go 'OL' H2O.. They are moving the oxygen atom around(another reason I referred to it as DeOX.) Too much chemistry.

It moves the oxygen content from one material to another, So I refer to it as a DeOX chamber/process. I will use OOC from here on out as not to confuse, I am trying to stay laymans terms so all can follow but still trying to stay technical enough for the advanced ones. This OCC chamber is where the Oxygen sensor is located and samples the exhaust for oxygen content. Sounds familiar, it should we have been using O2 sensors for 20+ years regularly.

Brian, which regen that I listed, do you not reconize as a regen?

And this doesn't even include the constant elevated temps generated to ensure the process can take place. From my understanding, there is constant regen going, only minimumly and when the temp of the exhaust allows for.

Thanks Brain, you are always invited to post, And which brings me to another idea, most of this is factual, some of it is 'my understanding' I will try to make it clear when I add my opinion.

I do want to back up though and and explain why are we doing regen's and what effect it has to do with the clean diesel. but that is for another post.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
Mach1 said:
Basically the DPF holds the soot as if it were a filter however it is also lined with a catalyst(now many people know this or understand this), The DPF and the DeOX share a common container, that is dircetly mounted downstream of the turbo exhaust housing. So the exhaust hits the DeOX first and then it enters the DPF which is a 'container'. Inside the DPF is a honeycomb of ceramic base coated with aluminum oxide. Then vapor depted with platinum which is the catalyst for the reaction.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Mach, GoFaster...can either of you confirm or deny my belief that the DPF carbon load number is a calculation based on a model, and not on a sensor read-out? I know that there are such things as carbon load sensors, I just don't think the VW DPF has one.

If I'm right about this, it is one of my few design criticisms about this system. Regens are expensive (in terms of fuel economy) but absolutely critical. It just seems to me that expensive but critical decisions should be based on data, not on guesses. It would also be a reason to be leery about chipping or tuning the CBEA, I think. Once you change the performance characteristics of the engine the model it uses to guesstimate carbon load probably becomes invalid, which would be bad news.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
dweisel said:
I posted in another thread and stated that I had driven my wifes 09 Sedan in 5th gear at a constant 2000 rpm's for 20 minutes and that initiated a Regen. I was told I was full of crap that it doesn't work that way.
Dweisel, in the off-chance that you're referring to my response to your post, I didn't mean to suggest that you're full of crap, nor that it doesn't work that way. My reading of your post suggested to me that you thought that you were initiating the regen by driving like that (with the implication that one could initiate a regen anytime one wanted to by driving like that). In fact you were providing the conditions under which the ECU could start a regen if it felt like it. Which is to say that driving behavior can absolutely prevent a regen from happening, but can't absolutely cause a regen to happen at will. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
dweisel said:
A few months ago I posted in another thread and stated that I had driven my wifes 09 Sedan in 5th gear at a constant 2000 rpm's for 20 minutes and that initiated a Regen. I was told I was full of crap that it doesn't work that way. On a side note: It won't work that way if you run in a higher gear as the tempertures required to start the regen are not reached in the higher gear. Thats why it doesn't regen everytime you drive it on the highway. You have to be in 4th or 5th gear and maintain the constant 2000 rpms for 20 minutes to initiate regen.

Dweisel
It's my understanding that soot is continually converted in the DPF if the temeratures are between about 350*C and 500*C. This is what is know as passive regeneration. So by driving as you did, you raised the temperature sufficiently to covert the soot. After 20 minutes of driving like that there should be no need for an active regen. It's also my understanding that if you are in need of a regen (DPF light illuminates), then you should drive like you did to raise the DFP temperature so the soot can be converted - again passive regen. If the temperature in the DPF is high enough, there is no need for the ECM to do an active regen.

An active regen is performed if the continual passive regens do not convert enough soot (don't know exactly what parameters the ECM uses to determine soot load). If an active regen is required, the ECM actively adds fuel to the exhaust to raise the temperature to about 600*C. There is no requirement (that I know of) to drive the car in 4th or 5th gear at 2000 rpm for an active regen to be initiated. I've had active regens driving between 45 - 55 mph in 6th gear (about 1400 - 1700 rpm).

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Would there be an advantage, if an active regen is in process, to keep the revs above say, 2000, as dweisel stated, to keep a good flow of exhaust air?

dave729

TDI
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen
If I haven't seen the "fun meter light" I guess I don't need to worry?

This is an interesting thread about a little-known technical aspect that makes me respect even more the engineering that's gone into the TDI. It has already prompted me to move my usual shift points just a little bit higher. Thanks for all the great posts and info.
How many other cars have a light that comes on to tell you you haven't been doing enough spirited driving?!?!

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
tdiatlast said:
Would there be an advantage, if an active regen is in process, to keep the revs above say, 2000, as dweisel stated, to keep a good flow of exhaust air?
Good question.

My guess is that if you're running 2000 rpms in less than 6th gear during an active regen, then you're just using more fuel than you have to. I doubt exhaust flow is an issue (at the temperatures required) for the soot conversion process. I would think that the ECM would just regulate the fuel appropriately during an active regen.

I recall reading VW literature that stated that if you continually drive on the highway (65mph is about 2000 rpm) then there should be no need for active regens and that the continual passive regens will take care of the soot. It's when you have longer periods of low engine load (city driving) that will probably require active regens every so often.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
I found some of the stuff I recall reading on regeneration: Source http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?p=89606#post89606 EDIT: Actually, I think it this is what I read on TDICLUB which is very similar to below: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2448720

Some info on the New External Emissions
in the Common Rail 09 Jetta TDI. This stuff all comes out of the Bosch Diesel Engine Managemnt manual/text and VW factory mechanic manuals and basically applies to all new Tier 2 BIN 5 technology in the US. Since this is the wave of the future I figured I'd try and be first to set it all down on paper because I wanted to know and help everyone out. Feel free to add to it or point out any errors. Sorry its so complicated.

Active and Passive Regeneration in the 09 Jetta.

Overview of 2009 Jetta Common Rail External Exhaust Emissions System

A system can be described as a structure of logically and functionally related components. The strength and weakness of the external emissions system in the 09 Jetta with the Common Rail Diesel and CBEA 2.0 liter is its complexity and interrelated character. The old tuning concept of combining balanced performance components to achieve certain power goals is now duplicated in the internal and external subsystems of our new emissions system.

Understanding this system without mentioning the ECU, the Sensors, all the Exhaust Catalysts, and some of the chemistry involved is impossible. Keep in mind each of these subjects has entire books written on it. Passive Regenerations occur in the DOC and DPF. Active Regenerations occur in the DPF, NOx, and H2S catalysts.

The engine internal emissions functions: EGR, Closed/Open Loop, Fuel Injection Measures, Intake Duct Modulation, etc., are left for another thread or for someone else if they want. The information in this thread is compiled from Bosch: Diesel Engine Management and VW Self Study Program 826803 and some others without direct quotes except for standard component names and generic chemical formulas.

In general
Regeneration, passive and active occurs continuously throughout the entire exhaust in the 4 separate catalysts. It requires temperatures maintained at certain levels in the exhaust for each components. To do this among other things the ECU will retard injection timing and add injection events which are not preset but “need” calculated depending on several factors. One of the main factors is EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature). The ECU will also restrict free (fresh) air and restrict exhaust and increase Low Pressure EGR to keep the charge burn at the right volume and level and temperature and add or decrease fuel to facilitate burnoff. At the same time the chief requirement for the ECU is to maintain the same TORQUE, so the driver never knows all this is going on. Several different temperatures are maintained at once from the point of combustion clear back to the H2S catalyst to keep the emissions chemistry balanced.

Maximum efficiency (Torque) is sacrificed in both the internal (engine) and external (exhaust) emission measures to keep emissions low. So we burn more fuel to make less noxious fumes.

Processor Overview
In general the electronic computerized system in all modern automobiles follows this pattern: Input (some sensor)  Processing (ECU Electronic Control Unit)  Output (Actuator or action) (If/Then/Else). The 2009 Jetta, the EDC17, has 8 chips or ECMs in the ECU.

The processer uses sensor input to evaluate and calculate the correct actuator output. The engine management processor in the 09 ECU, the Bosch EDC17 (Electronic Diesel Control) evaluates signals from at least 14 different sensors and “set point generators” (speed, rpm) pertaining to emissions and engine control in its ECM (Engine Control Module) chip which is one of the eight chips in the ECU. The ECM or chip is the “J623”. (There are at least 27 sensors reporting to J623 - around 14 dealing with emissions.)

The EDC17 receives input from programming modules attached to the blue 16 pin CAN (Control Area Network) BUS connector located under the dash on the driver’s side of the Mk5 Jetta through J533, the (Data Bus Diagnostic Interface) chip (#7 below). J533 also interfaces factory diagnostic equipment and the RossTech VAGCOM operating by laptop computers through the CAN port over pins 2 and 10 for North America (SAE J 1850) and 7 and 15 for European (ISO 9141-2). (p. 434)

The other 6 chips appear in the list below (1-6):

8 Chips in the EDC 17 ECU by Bosch.
1. J104 ABS Control
2. J217 Transmission Control Module (TCS)
3. J234 Airbag Control Module
4. J285 Instrument Cluster Control Module
5. J519 Vehicle Electrical Control Module
6. J527 Steering Column Electronic Systems Control Module
7. J533 Data Bus Diagnostic Interface
8. J623 Engine Control Module

In summary the J623 chip manages the engine performance and ALL of the emissions functions of the engine over the CAN BUS. The CAN supports serial data transmission over a linear bus system to reduce multiple data line requirements using a 0 to 8 bit data code.

Sensors
The names and order of the exhaust mounted emissions sensors are these:
1. First Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor - At the Turbo Outlet, DOC Inlet.
2. First Lambda O2 sensor – On top of the DOC. Signals from the DPF Lambda sensor set the initial air model value in the ECU in initial startup.
3. Second Exhaust Gas temperature sensor – Between DOC and DPF.
4. Before and after the DPF - Two Pressure sensors – measure pressure differential according to soot load.
5. Second Broadband Lambda O2 Sensor – after the NOx storage catalyst.

The Exhaust System
The exhaust is composed of 4 Catalytic Modules, an Exhaust Throttle Valve, a Muffler and a Resonator and the sensors listed above.

The Catalytic Modules
1. Diesel Oxidation Catalytic Converter (DOC)
2. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
3. Nitrogen Oxide Catalytic Converter (NOx)
4. H2S Catalytic Converter

1. The DOC or Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is mounted close to the turbocharger in order to insure rapid “lightoff” in cold start situations. It has a metal case and a sintered metal medium coated with aluminum oxide coated with palladium and platinum catalytic material for hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO.

2. The DOC is an integral unit with the DPF and has a honeycombed ceramic medium of aluminum titanide. The filter walls are coated with aluminum oxide which is coated with catalytic platinum. The honeycomb cells are blind so the soot is captured in them and kept there until regeneration.

DPF Regeneration
is done in possible 5 stages in the 09 Jetta depending on engine operating state and sensor input. (There are three other kinds of DPF regeneration we will address later: 1. SCR (“Selective Catalytic Reduction” - used in European VAG cars and Commercial Vehicles),
2. Regenerative Fuel Additives, and, 3. Electric Burnoff.

I. Warm-up stage – achieved by a secondary injection event after the main injection on startup. Quickly brings the DOC/DPF up to operating temperature and holds them there. Secondary injection stops after temperature is maintained for a given time interval.
II. Passive Regeneration – requires no action by ECM J623. Occurs best in higher load situations like highway driving. Gas flows through the DOC which converts NOx to NO2 into the DPF where NO2 oxidizes (burns) soot in passive regeneration. Soot combusts with NO2 reliably at temperatures around 300 to 450C at ratios of 8:1, NO2:Soot. NO2 is converted in this process back to NOx and continues the process until expelled from the DPF where it is reconverted back to NO2 and captured in the NOx storage catalyst. Passive regeneration works best in high sustained load applications like heavy trucks, generators, locomotives, and marine applications, but works sufficiently well to aid the soot removal in autos.
III. Active Regeneration – Accomplished at degrees 550 C to 650 C. Triggered by sensor measured Soot Load (SL) across the DPF and initiated by ECM J623. SL is calculated by 3 load model MAPs in J623.

A. Model One – calculated by driver profile and signals from Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) sensors and Heated O2 Sensors (HO2S)
B. Model Two – from the flow resistance of the DPF. Calculated by signals across the 2 Exhaust Pressure Sensors (EPS), Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), and Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF).
C. Model Three - Distance Regeneration – done by the J623 according to a preprogrammed distance regardless of soot levels.

ECM J623 has five ways to increase the exhaust gas temperature for active regeneration.
1. Regulate intake air – MAP sensor regulates Throttle Valve Control Module and Exhaust Valve Control Module to increase/decrease free air and stoichiometric control.

2. Shut off EGR to increase combustion temperature and increase free oxygen in combustion chamber.

3. Delay Main Injection and initiate early Secondary Injection.

4. Initiate late Secondary Injection to create Hydrocarbon vapor in cylinder and push to exhaust.
(Injection Quantity Calculated by EGT sensor signal from between DOC and DPF.)

5. Hydrocarbons are ignited in the DOC raising EGT to degrees 650 C in the DPF.

Boost pressure is increased so driver does not notice torque change during regeneration.

IV. Required Regeneration Drive – DPF Indicator Light displays in instrument panel. Have to drive the car at a certain speed for certain time.
V. Service regeneration – has to be done at “workshop”. DPF indicator and Glow plug Indicator and “Check Engine _ Service Shop”. Above a certain level of obstruction/saturation (45 grams) DPF replaced. (Probably just ash deposits that can be cleared by sucking or blowing through the DOC/DPF.)

3. The NOx (Nitrogen Oxide Storage Catalytic Converter) is placed away from the DOC/DPF to prevent heat damage and take advantage of preoxidation products of CO, HC, and H2 in the DPF which serve as the combustion material for NO2. Physically it is a honey combed catalyst coated with barium carbonate (BaCO3) as the storage medium and it reacts with exhaust NO and forms nitrates in this reaction:

BaCO3 + 2NO2 + ½ O2 = Ba(NO3)2 + CO2

Active storage takes place in this compound: Ba(NO3)2, mostly between degrees 250 to 450 C. Below degrees 250 C, NO resists becoming NO2 and above degrees 450 C, NO2 becomes destabilized to NO + O. Storage takes place in the normal lean exhaust environment regulated by signals from the first Lambda sensor before the DOC. Full volume accumulation takes from 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending on engine operation.

In the normal lean exhaust environment, (NO3)2 clings to the surface of the Barium catalyst in an electrochemical bond as Ba(NO3)2 until the catalytic medium is saturated. Active Regeneration is initiated by the ECU from signals produced by the Lambda sensor downstream of the NOx (aft) catalyst which measures the following:

1. In the Storage cycle, the amount of oxygen in NOx that is escaping storage due to saturation of the Barium storage medium.
2. In the Regeneration cycle, the amount of oxygen not used in combustion because of cycle completion.

In the Storage cycle, once oxygen content above a certain level registers to the second Lambda O2 sensor a decreased stoichiometric (rich) mixture is set by the ECU by the following process:

The Lambda sensor detects increased oxygen due to NOx level increase, converts the physical reading to an electrical signal, and sends a signal to the ECU. The J623 chip signals the MAP sensor, which closes the IMTV (Intake Manifold Throttle Valve) a precise amount to decrease the amount of free air available for combustion. At the same time the ETV (exhaust throttle valve) (behind the NOx catalyst) closes a precise amount increasing the “back” pressure in the exhaust system. The Low Pressure EGR valve is opened and recirculating exhaust from behind the DPF provides cylinder volume to replace the free air choked off by the IMTV. The EGR charge fills the cylinders in an O2 deprived environment which restricts combustion allowing unburned hydrocarbons to flow back through the system to the NOx catalyst where combustion is forced with HC, CO, H2 in the fuel enriched environment with the Ba(NO3)2 molecules converting NO2 to CO2 and NO which is then processed by a Rhodium catalyst to N2 and CO2.

When burnoff is complete the reducing mediums of HC, CO, and H2 increase because they are no longer consumed in the process. So the Lambda O2 signal goes to rich and the process begins over. The NOx storage cycle begins again.

Each of the preoxidation products of CO, HC, and H2 produced in the DPF and used to oxidize NO2 has its own reaction and produces acceptable emissions products.

One of the problems with the NOx storage catalysts is that the Barium coating has a greater affinity to Sulfur than to NO2 and is stored as Sulfate. As a result the sulfur is has to be burned off in a process similar to Active Regeneration in the DPF. It accumulates slowly over time using ULSD and is burned out at degrees 650 C for about 5 minutes every several thousand miles. Using LSD or off road fuel will shorten the life of the catalyst considerably.

5. The H2S catalyst is installed to convert the potential poisonous gaseous byproduct of sulfate reduction, H2S to its harmless constituents.

Understanding this system will help us keep our cars running longer at less expense and prevent us being at the mercy of you-know-who.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
Thanks guys for the fine photos, and added dialog..My understanding is if the load can stay under 18 grams load, then a passive regen is all that is needed or required.

Dang, I wish I had some code on this so I could understand a wee biit more. I think I have a grip on the hardware, but would really like to see some code to see what they are doing to the hardware.

There are several factors leading to a regen and the type to perform. How about there is a distance regeneration=The ECM will perform an active regen AUTOMATICALLY if during the last 466-621 miles were no successful regen has taken place, REGARDLESS of the load conditon in the DPF.

So the ECM will call for a Regen Not dependent on load of the DPF. But rather of mileage.

More to come.

Mach1

TDI
Dawg this may be what you want..

A. Model One – calculated by driver profile and signals from Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) sensors and Heated O2 Sensors (HO2S)
B. Model Two – from the flow resistance of the DPF. Calculated by signals across the 2 Exhaust Pressure Sensors (EPS), Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), and Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Mach1, to answer one of your "quiz" questions above, I believe there are 4 EGT sensors and then a 5th located in the EGR housing??

To add to the discussion, I can tell you that a regen will occur in 6th gear on the highway without a problem. It's easy to spot it because I can see the added boost (approx. 10psi) reflected on my boost gauge and it will continue for about 10 minutes or so and then drop back down to normal cruising boost levels (approx. 5psi).

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mach1 said:
Thanks guys for the fine photos, and added dialog..My understanding is if the load can stay under 18 grams load, then a passive regen is all that is needed or required.

Dang, I wish I had some code on this so I could understand a wee biit more. I think I have a grip on the hardware, but would really like to see some code to see what they are doing to the hardware.

There are several factors leading to a regen and the type to perform. How about there is a distance regeneration=The ECM will perform an active regen AUTOMATICALLY if during the last 466-621 miles were no successful regen has taken place, REGARDLESS of the load conditon in the DPF.

So the ECM will call for a Regen Not dependent on load of the DPF. But rather of mileage.

More to come.
Mach1, I have a regen question for you.

09 Jetta Sedan around 12,000 miles.
Regens requested: 2 Successful regens: 0

09 JSW less than 5,000 miles
Regens requested: 4 Successful regens: 0

Is there a problem? Why no successful regens?

Dweisel