summer tires

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Hey yalllll

I'm having a hard time finding summer tires. I have e30ix alloys, 15"x7.5" i believe.

I want to stick with 195 or 205 tire widths, low(ish) side walls. and my tire guy has only one "summer tire" option.

195/50 r15 BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2's (that sound like great summer tires..) $75.00 each.

They however have an 82 load index, and I wonder if my mk3 tdi jetta will be to heavy for them? our engines aren't light.

Anyone have any input?

btw, I have dedicated winter wheels and am looking for a fun summer tire that will make my boat rolll over hard on the back roads :)

TDIPWR33

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 TDI MK3
I am doing research on summer tires and I have 195/60/14's. I found that the hankook H724 are my best bet for price and quality. I have had hankook tires before, a lower grade then the H724 and they worked well. They wore out quickly I think, but I will be sure to take them up on there 110km warranty this time which is a higher warrenty then most brands such as the g force bf Goodrich which are around 80km. I checked reviews and the hankooks are good tires, better then the toyo extenzas a/s, bf Goodrich, cooper. They have good ratings, and I I believe they wil do well on wet pavement unlike my walmart nexen tires which slide very easily on wet pavement and are just horrible tires overall.

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Interesting, Thanks for the input

Edit: I haven't come across either of those in the sizes I'm looking for..
I am most interested in people opinions on the load index.. Its not something I've dealt with when tire shopping before

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Thank you for the ideas and opinion on load ratings!! You da bomb!

Ps you got me pegged, im just a terrorist!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Thanks again, didn't have much time last week to look at these links. I'm not seeing where the treadwear rating is though.. That is a good thing for me to think about since i drive at least 60 miles to work and back everyday :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They were over pressurized and you need an alignment.

I have worn them past the point of seeing a tread pattern before, but it was even across the tire.

Ditto

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Oh yeah, i think i had em at 40 psi or even a little more... Better mpgs on the highway was my thought. Trying to do to much at one time lol. I'll have to take some picas of my snow tires when i take em off, i thought my alignment was good.. The frost heaves this winter could give ya some airtime though..

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Hahaha you are an impressive optimist.. I need to start thinking like that!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The question of the day does improved MPG offset the cost of replacing tires earlier? Better handling may occur at a lower PSI too.

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
No.. No I don't think it does. Well maybe in my case.. Since I only paid forty bucks for the four tires.. But next set will be run at the right pressures

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I buy my standard size tires at the local junkyard and often find them new or almost new, and they are usually around $10 each. I have my own tire machine so it costs nothing to swap them over. But in addition to getting better life out of them, I find the ride is smoother due to the additional sidewall flex. I have noticed a difference on that.

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Dang man anything you aint got? Hot cars, hot wife, hot tire changer machines...

I think i'll go with those dizerra summer tires. Its fun to think i needa stickier tire but... Im not that exciting. 460 is probably better than those old over inflated general "uhp"s anyway :)

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Dang man anything you aint got? Hot cars, hot wife, hot tire changer machines...
There isn't a whole lot I don't have or can't do, but to date no one has called my 17 year old VW's 'hot', nor my 1954 Bishman tire changer.

The wife, on the other hand, is a different matter... ;)

I think i'll go with those dizerra summer tires. Its fun to think i needa stickier tire but... Im not that exciting. 460 is probably better than those old over inflated general "uhp"s anyway :)
I used to run the General UHP's in 205/45-16's and while they are a nice sticky tire, they only lasted about 20-25K. I am now using the General GMax AS-03 and like them, much better life expectancy (480 rated) while retaining the stickiness (they feel about the same when I push them). They are also approved for all-season use, which means I can keep them on until I put the snows on whereas the UHP's were treacherous when it got colder.

Last edited:

MARTICUS

TDI
98 mkIII Jetta
Haha niice.
Cold temps mess up softer rubber? Make it freeze up to hard?