Mazda ups the ante for 2014

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
great to see...bring on the competition....VW will need to be sharp...Mazdas are good cars.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Who cares??? I don't put much faith in ANY manufacturer that says diesel is "expected" in 20xx -example-Mahindra,Honda,1/2 ton pickups,etc. Or else it will be every other country BUT the U.S......until someone kills off the EPA,more new diesels coming to U.S. will be verrrrry slow or non-existent.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
I've been watching the Mazda US diesel program for a year now. The new Sky-D diesel was originally going into a Mazda 6-type sedan, but now the 6 is on the chopping block from slow sales. The CX-5 crossover was also mentioned as a potential home for the diesel, which would be a segment-buster (are you listening VWoA? TDI Tig?) A diesel Mazda 3 would be a mileage champeen, and the low-compression approach they took with the engine means lower emissions and less equipment, which is nice. I just hope they stick with it, and don't bail out like all the other Asian mfrs have. If their gasser can get 40mpg, the diesel should have no trouble getting close to 50.

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Mazda's current diesels aren't as efficient as VW's. Low compression... I wonder if it's going to help fuel economy. I guess it won't.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110422/NEWYORK/110429942

I know it's not a VW but of all the Asian cars, Mazdas feel the most like VWs
Probably because most all modern Mazdas are just rebadged Anglo-Saxon Fords, and not "Asian" cars. ;) Funny how that happens. The Routan does not feel like a Volkswagen, either. :p And the Passport never felt like a Honda, the Oasis certainly did, and this Chevy Prizm here sure does fell a lot like a Toyota!