Energy Suspension Poly Rear Axle Beam bushings

tdispeed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Audi S4, 2012 Mazda 2
Posted these on Vortex so I figure why not here. Got them from http://www.suspension.com.

Come in gray/black (Graphite added to reduce any squeek) or red. Supposedly gray and red are the same durometer.

Cost: $83 shipped. I got flat rate usps and they came from CA to MD in 3 days.

Tools required for removal/install: 4lb sledge, cold chisel, hacksaw w/ metal blades. (Cost me $20 from HF)

To remove the old bushings just use the cold chisel to hammer on the metal rim of the old bushing. Then use the hacksaw to cut out the outside metal sleeve. After hacksawing (Assemble hacksaw through bushing hole) the metal outside sleeve all the way through (don't cut into the main loop) I used the hammer with cold chisel to tap the sleeve out (There is a lip on the inside you can rest the end of the chisel against and it will come right out).

Bushings are three piece with a metal insert and come with 7 or 8 things of grease and instructions. Red bushings are labeled inner/outer, middle is labeled center. Grease the middle part, and the outside of the red part, slide in 1 red part then put in black part. Then put on second red part and push the metal cylinder through. Instructions say lube all surfaces that touch metal.

I did have to put one of the red parts in on one side them hammer the center in with my sledge because it was a tighter fit on that side.

Took me 1 hour start to finish to pull old bushings and put new ones in on an already removed rear axle beam (I am replacing mine because my old one is bent).

Done:

Last edited:

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Wow, I didn't know they made them 3pc... I bought some OE replacements (but havent got my own garage yet to do them) but might have to order these too...

By the look of them I bet you could do the whole thing while under the car for a major time savings, not to mention the ease.

tdispeed

Veteran Member
TDI
I supposed you could try... hard part will be removing the old bushings w/ the beam still attached..

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Good luck getting the old bushings out with the rear beam still in..

4 bolts and a few brake line clips, and the entire rear beam drops...

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
LNXGUY said:
Good luck getting the old bushings out with the rear beam still in..

4 bolts and a few brake line clips, and the entire rear beam drops...
lol it was a thought... Not a "got my next weekend lined up"

On the other hand I bet

Some washers + Air gun + Varing lengths of pipe

Could pop an old bushing out fast a mf... Anybody with me on that! lol Sorta the reverse of what I've heard people did you get the new one in. :D

tdispeed

Veteran Member
TDI
Got these installed and it was a piece of cake. Brake caliper bleeder valve ended up freezing up on me so I go a reman at advance auto parts.

Feels really nice so far. I got poly rear spring isolators as well and installed new bilstein shocks. Feels nice.

There's some debated on Vortex on how long they will last. Some people say they will bind because there's not enough movement allowed where the beam pivots/flexes. I guess if you're racing it doesn't really matter, as long as they last the race, right? I assume i'll probably at least get a couple years out of them. If not, it's not a piece of cake to put new ones in since I don't have to saw out the old bushings anymore :).

amightymouse

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Baltic Green Pearl
Just got my kit in the mail. Thanks for the instructions, doesn't seem to be as big a PITA as I thought it was going to be.

I'll paint the axle while it's out too.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I think it's been discussed elsewhere that poly bushings are BAD for the geometry in the A4 axle beam. Since the mounts are not parallel with the beam they will either bind, grind themselves up or deform and possibly break the mounts. All not good.

Last edited:

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
silverbox said:
I think it's been discussed elsewhere that poly bushings are BAD for the geometry in the A4 axle beam. Since the mounts are not parallel with the beam they will either bind, grind themselves up or deform and possibly break the mounts. All not good.
There's some really good animations on the Vortex illustrating how these don't allow the axle to move properly since way the mounts move requires some flexing rather than just rotation.

tdispeed

Veteran Member
TDI
tdispeed said:
There's some debated on Vortex on how long they will last. Some people say they will bind because there's not enough movement allowed where the beam pivots/flexes. I guess if you're racing it doesn't really matter, as long as they last the race, right?
Thanks for saying what I said not just one time, but two times...

The bushings did what they were designed to do, which is firm up the rear end. The car feels more stable in turns.

I also didn't put my shine bar back in from my old beam... one of the bolts were was fused to the shine bar :(. Plus, it's a pain to drill that thing again.

Just to note about "improper movement" from these bushings... Everything i've seen is theory, and i've seen the animated picture of the rear axle beam. I haven't seen evidence that these bushings will blow your car up or make it flip on its roof (mk2 vr swap). No one even says how long they last, just guesses that it's the worst thing in the world.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Bump, upgrading mine in a week or so... Put redesigned OEM versions back in mine and after a month or two of driving the car suddenly started feeling squirrely and floaty. Just changed out to KW V1 suspension and new strut bushings along with a new front suspension, but car still feels squirrely.

My old '02 axle bushings were solid, the redesigned versions are "cut-out" and has less rubber material in the middle holding the sleeve. (more flex and more sluggish?)