stage 3 time

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
210k miles later, the CR140 turbo has bit the dust. After a 120 mile trip, a loud buzz came through the cabin and became increasingly audible as the accelerator was depressed, then the flashing glow plug, then limp mode. Code was P0299, last time this happened it was the VNT actuator. After limping to the driveway, dropping the belly pan, and looking at the turbo's hoses, nothing popped out of place or cracked. The VNT actuator held vacuum, so that wasn't the culprit. Starting the engine up again, a very visible vibration on the turbo was noticed, along with that loud buzzing noise.

Which means a CR170 will go in along with a stage 3 tune.

Getting 100k miles out of a stage 2 wasn't bad.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Well at least you get to upgrade now. I wonder how much time mine has left in it. At 202k now and deleted it around 100k

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
here's the old turbo damage-

no foreign object observed passing through the air filter/MAF or the crankcase vent. The oil was changed recently, pretty sure I didn't drop anything into the filter housing, so I'm guessing it failed due to age. Backflushing the IC got the small pieces of turbo out, cleaned out the rest of the IC pipes, no indication of any fragments making it into the combustion chamber.

Here's the new CR170 in there-

Malone stage 3.5 tune, 4 bar map sensor. There is some flywheel shudder when dropping the foot, tried a dogbone insert but that made the cabin unbearably loud (plus everything vibrates). That thing pulls hard now, easily goes from 60-80mph with barely any effort. MPG so far has dropped (33mpg on 80% highway driving, 120 mile trip), will have to learn how to drive this setup for efficiency.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
Got it from fixmyvw.com, GDM and ID parts had them as well. You'll need the turbo, intake pipe, EGT spacer, along with an exhaust manifold gasket, exhaust gasket, EGR gasket, and ten copper nuts. The crankcase breather heater gets deleted, also a good time to delete the rest of the EGR if you haven't done so already.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
Care to share the cost?
with all necessary parts and retune, just over $1300.

However, I'm now encountering a new issue that seems to be a result of the upgrade, though it could be coincidence as well. It looks like the N215 and N233 solenoids on in the mechatronics unit has crapped out. I did recall clearing some DTCs on the DSG some time back, perhaps all the new torque finally pushed things over the edge. I have new solenoids on order, hopefully that fixes the issue.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
with all necessary parts and retune, just over $1300.
However, I'm now encountering a new issue that seems to be a result of the upgrade, though it could be coincidence as well. It looks like the N215 and N233 solenoids on in the mechatronics unit has crapped out. I did recall clearing some DTCs on the DSG some time back, perhaps all the new torque finally pushed things over the edge. I have new solenoids on order, hopefully that fixes the issue.
Not bad at all.

Sucks about the issue though. Keep us posted. You have the trans tuned right?

Last edited:

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
Yes, malone tuned trans. I did encounter clutch slippage (the shuddering mentioned previously) at around 2k rpms.

New solenoids did not fix the issue, so the car will have to sit on jack stands for another week, while waiting for a new mechatronics unit.

What started as a blown turbo is moving into $3k territory.

I am seriously considering a manual swap. Figuring the gasser/ROW models came with manual trannies, so the hardware is there. And sourcing a 02Q tranny shouldn't be too hard, I have one in the golf but I'm not cannibalizing a good car. Perhaps when the dieselgate buybacks hit the used parts market I might pounce.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
It turns out seal for the circuit board on the mechatronics failed and bathed the board in nice and hot DSG fluid. $1500 and another DSG tune later, she's back in running shape.

Further thoughts-

-it's kinda silly to have done this a few months before turning her in for the buyback.
-the 2k shuddering somewhat went away with more drive time. it could be more of my right foot learning where not to put the pedal.
-MPG's average 37 on the highway, 32 in town. This is with a roof rack and roof box.
-overall driveability is definitely improved compared to the stage 2. there's lot of torque everywhere.

Next issue to tackle is a rattling noise from the passenger side wheel well at low speeds. It's not the end links or suspension components. There is plastic shield behind the fender liner and wheel well that seems loose but there's nothing to secure it on the bottom of the shield (it just hangs there).

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Doing manual swap is nonsense seen the maximum power and torque you can achieve on this setup.
02E DSG is good for 5-600hp and 600Nm with just a good remap, so there are 2 more stages that your dsg can handle before causing issues.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Geesh. I think I'd hang onto the car for another year at least with all that work into it.