What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
rangeroad, exactly what Rembrant said. I did use 2 quarts on my son's car with the nose up on ramps, none spilled out. But I stuck my finger in there and the fluid was level with the filler.

He drove 125 miles home and reports shifting is much improved.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So on Saturday 2 Jul and yesterday, I replaced the 2 rear door latch assemblies on my new-to-me 2003 Jetta. (Yes, it's a 1.8t gasser, so shut it already.) Somebody for some unknown reason had squirted a bunch of black RTV into the top of the assembly where the heavy wire bar comes across the internal door release cable. That's the wire that shows the door lock pin at the front of the door. They did it on both sides.

Not sure who was thinking what, but what I was seeing is that the rear door locks wouldn't work at all.

Maybe that is what is wrong with the driver's door latch as well. Some people shouldn't be allowed to call themselves a mechanic.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Mine just got a set of Fiamm "El Grande" horns installed.
I'd tried a set from a parted out car, but like the set that were already on the car, they didn't make any noise other than one click occasionally.

Now, for the first time in almost two years that I've owned the car, and 31k miles, I can tell the idiot drivers just what I think of their driving (and have them ignore it like all the others they ignore...)

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
Put a steel bottom oil pan on and fixed my my idle stabilization value. Change the value from 6.3 to .5. The care idles much smoother and starts easier.

Last edited:

hazrd

TDI
01 Jetta 5 speed
replaced the fuel filter to pump fuel lines.... air bubbles seem to be gone.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
rangeroad, exactly what Rembrant said. I did use 2 quarts on my son's car with the nose up on ramps, none spilled out. But I stuck my finger in there and the fluid was level with the filler.

He drove 125 miles home and reports shifting is much improved.
As you know, automatics behind diesels, it's only a matter of time. I'm keeping the auto going w the same techniques in my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 w a Cummins, ugh!

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2001 Golf in pieces
As you know, automatics behind diesels, it's only a matter of time. I'm keeping the auto going w the same techniques in my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 w a Cummins, ugh!
There are several successful automatics behind diesels, like Aisin and Allison. Just not certain VWs and Chrysler junk lol

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
There are several successful automatics behind diesels, like Aisin and Allison. Just not certain VWs and Chrysler junk lol
I have 220K on my 47RE, that's good for any automatic I think behind a gas or diesel. My wifes honda passport went out at 117K behind a V6 gasser!:eek:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Got REEEAAALLLY Lucky!

Picked up the Golf from the shop after an emergency TB replacement. Backed into the garage last Thursday and noticed a puff of steam from the corner of the hood. Got out, popped the hood and saw a pink puddle forming at my feet. Took off the upper TB cover and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Erring on the side of caution, I called the shop that had just done the A/C the previous week and asked them to send a tow truck. I got a call from them saying that the water pump had failed. Luckily, when they got everything dialed in and locked at TDC they found that even though the pump was seized, the timing was spot on. The belt was frayed, but it did not fail!

Gebu pump installed in October '09 only 35K miles ago. Date code on the pump pulley is 6-09

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
35K in 7 years isn't a lot. I've seen pumps fail in cars that sit for extended periods. My son's Golf had the pump fail after it sat and wasn't run for six months.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
35K in 7 years isn't a lot. I've seen pumps fail in cars that sit for extended periods. My son's Golf had the pump fail after it sat and wasn't run for six months.
Momma only has a couple of mile commute so, yes, there are not a lot of miles on the car, but it runs pretty much every day. It might sit for a weekend or at most a couple of weeks if we take the Passat for a vacation trip. The original water pump was still working fine when we had the TB job done @ 75K miles under the same driving conditions.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, if that cars been driven regularly with proper coolant, that's premature failure. Check with the store and/or manufacturer to see if they warranty the thing.
It sounds like it didn't destroy the motor, this stuff happens.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I'll definitely be taking the pump to the shop the did the first TB job and showing it to them.

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
The 09A in my 05 wagon is still strong at ~250k miles. I have contemplated a manual swap, but I don't see the need.

Jake

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
The 09A in my 05 wagon is still strong at ~250k miles. I have contemplated a manual swap, but I don't see the need.

Jake
Hence the "certain" comment. I'm referring to the 01M lol

& my Dodge pulled horses all it's life too!
I have no faith in any transmission from Chrysler built in the last thirty years. Seen too many fail. TF727, 30RH, 32RH, 42RE, 46RE... all junk. They can't even install third parties' transmissions without screwing them up somehow! IMHO it's just a matter of time for the 47RE.

You'll never get the same amount of reliability out of an upgraded gasoline car transmission compared to a downgraded HD truck transmission. It's part of the reason modern engines, and our diesels, last so long: Detuned/or derated for longevity. (And, on that note, the transmissions in the POS Ford Transits, which are basically really tall Focuses, my employer decided to buy as work vans are on their way out...)

Last edited:

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
You'll never get the same amount of reliability out of an upgraded gasoline car transmission compared to a downgraded HD truck transmission. It's part of the reason modern engines, and our diesels, last so long: Detuned/or derated for longevity. (And, on that note, the transmissions in the POS Ford Transits, which are basically really tall Focuses, my employer decided to buy as work vans are on their way out...)[/QUOTE]

For sure, the torque comes on much quicker in a diesel & kills a gasser tranny that's put in behind a diesel. Many guys upgrade the autos behind a Cummins so they can hold the power, at least a valve body upgrade. But even a stock Allison can't hold the power of a modded Duramax.

The bad thing it's getting impossible to find a manual trans anymore for a brand new vehicle esp trucks!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
For sure, the torque comes on much quicker in a diesel & kills a gasser tranny that's put in behind a diesel. Many guys upgrade the autos behind a Cummins so they can hold the power, at least a valve body upgrade. But even a stock Allison can't hold the power of a modded Duramax.!
Torque in the new Dodge Cummins engines is around 900 ft-lbs. I showed this to a friend the other day and then I computed it on a per litre basis and found that the torque in my wife's car -slightly modded ALH- is greater: 135 ft-lbs vs the Cummins at 134 ft-lbs. Just something to keep in mind when thinking about what the transmissions behind our "little" diesels have to put up with.

holysirsalad

Veteran Member
TDI
For sure, the torque comes on much quicker in a diesel & kills a gasser tranny that's put in behind a diesel. Many guys upgrade the autos behind a Cummins so they can hold the power, at least a valve body upgrade.
Indeedy

But even a stock Allison can't hold the power of a modded Duramax.
This isn't that fair of a comparison. Upgrades require upgrades lol. Some of those guys are running ungodly amounts of power out of their engines, far beyond the stock specs. In stock fit, though, you can't go wrong.

The bad thing it's getting impossible to find a manual trans anymore for a brand new vehicle esp trucks!
2006 was the last model year for sticks from Ford and GM. The reason for this is that the EPA wanted emissions certifications for every single powertrain combination. Sales of manual transmission trucks didn't justify how much it was going to cost to go that route (and, I imagine warranty support from people who don't know how to drive), so they dropped the option altogether.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
On the 03:
Polished the headlight lenses
Oil and filter change
Next I'll attempt to replace the leaking flex/down pipe with the one from the parts car.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Finally replaced the flex/cat/DP on the 03 after welding up the holes in the connector pipe and adding a 1 7/8- 2 inch pipe adaptor to the unit from the parts car.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I finally found the fuel leak that was causing a faint raw diesel smell at startup.

It turned out that the fuel return check valve had started to separate between the two halves, and when I pulled on it, the part with the o-rings stayed in the filter.

Temporarily bypassed it with a hose splice, and plugged the port in the filter until the new valve arrives.