www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 16th, 2017, 06:21   #1831
gmenounos

Added "needle sweep" to my Golf's cluster.

http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/sw.../sweep501.html
http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/sw.../sweep503.html

Thanks Graeme!
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:53   #1832
h4vok
Veteran Member

I cleaned behind the fender liners today and there was a lot of dirt back there. In the middle you can see what looks like a stick. Well that is a 3inch bolt that is super rusty and somehow made its way in there.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:37   #1833
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4vok View Post
I cleaned behind the fender liners today and there was a lot of dirt back there. In the middle you can see what looks like a stick. Well that is a 3inch bolt that is super rusty and somehow made its way in there.
I plan on doing this in the coming weeks. The fender liners are pretty beat so it's probably gonna be rough. Per IndigoBlueWagon's advice I'm not replacing the foam insert when I do liners and I'm covering the whole area in POR-15.
Cptcrnch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:49   #1834
h4vok
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post
I plan on doing this in the coming weeks. The fender liners are pretty beat so it's probably gonna be rough. Per IndigoBlueWagon's advice I'm not replacing the foam insert when I do liners and I'm covering the whole area in POR-15.
Mine did not have any inserts. My picture is the passenger side, but the drivers side has a hole from the rust. I have coated it in rust reformer black spray paint. I plan to buy new rocker panels and cut/weld them in a year along with quarter panels that are the same color with minimal rust. The rest of my car is in really good shape and I only have 155k at the moment.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 17:55   #1835
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.8 mpg (mostly city)

Today I replaced the driver side CV axle, and all the hood insulation clips. A bunch of them were missing or broken, so I just replaced them all. The cheapest price I found on those clips was here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZUT3NM/
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 21:32   #1836
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Not my MK4, but fixed stripped threads in my housemate's son's MK4 Jetta 2.0.

As a novice driver learning how to take off on an incline, he managed to lurch and jerk hard enough to strip the threads out of the motor mount bracket that bolts through the timing cover.

Instead of replacing the whole bracket (and having to remove the bracket!), we ordered a Timesert repair kit and 19mm long inserts.

The shank of the Timesert drill bit and shoulder reamer turned out to be barely larger than the large tap holder I own, so we had to get creative.
Using a ratchet, extensions, and a T55 socket inserted into a 3/8" drive 10mm socket, we were able to drill the damaged threads out, ream the shoulder, and then tap the new threads in the holes, all with the mount bracket still in place on the engine. Using a Big Gulp straw duct taped to a shop vac hose allowed us to clean out the holes regularly. (The straw also gave us a musical interlude, every time we turned off the shop vac!)

It's now reassembled, and the repair kit cost less than a new mount, as well as being on hand for any other 12mm thread repairs that may come up. (My TDI's motor mount being a prime consideration. It might get them "repaired" just as a preventative, when I have the mount off for the timing belt, soon...)

Last edited by hey_allen; August 16th, 2017 at 21:34.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57   #1837
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.8 mpg (mostly city)

Something happened while I was changing the engine oil today. Notice anything missing?

Luckily, I had a rubber stopper that fits into the metal pipe. That will have to do until the new dipstick tube arrives.
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote