www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 14th, 2017, 16:30   #6301
uchu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatburner View Post
In my case the bank didn't hold my cheque for over $16k. I have been a customer with that bank for many moons though.

Glad it's over. I was a little disgusted with the dealership though. As soon as I walked in for my appointment and the receptionist asked how she could help me, everything changed when I announced I was here for my buy back appointment. It was quite visibly obvious how dealership staff were 'studiously ignoring' me. They had the buyback agent stuck at a small table as far away from everyone as possible and ironically there was a "clean diesel" poster still flying on the divider behind him. The court appointed agent was very nice and efficient and I was done in no time but when I stood up and asked in a voice that could be overheard, "isn't anyone from this dealership going to look me in the eye and offer an apology for what this company has done to us?" He just shrugged and shook his head. When I looked around the room everyone had their head down as if they were so immersed in their work. It looked to me like a pack of dogs with tails between their legs.
Very petty behaviour from the dealer's personnel. Although, in all fairness, they were cheated as well by greedy corporate decisions.

I have my return scheduled for this Saturday. Hope that everything goes smoothly.
uchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 23:03   #6302
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

From what I've read the dealership staff are not permitted to approach anyone who is there for a buyback unless that person approaches them directly.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:07   #6303
mxs
Veteran Member

Not really true across the board .... the dealership people will be there to help the appointed person to receive the car from you ... as we all as strip the plates.

It's not as strict as one might think. Although, I am sure the experiences can wildly differ depending on a dealer.
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:37   #6304
CDN_TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTDI View Post
These days, what the dealer deposits probably isn't even looked at by the banks. The dealer has a humongous credit line with their bank so anything they deposit has no hold by the bank. So the dealer not accepting the Ricepoint cheque is completely stupid. I didn't even have a discussion about that with my dealer, they just automatically got me to sign it on the back. If a cheque they deposit gets returned, they just charge it back to the dealer. Banks watching what gets deposited by the dealer only happens when a dealer is a high credit risk.
if you take your Rice Point cheque into the bank to deposit it, a hold will apply, subject to normal bank rules and policies. One thing you can do to get around a hold is deposit the funds to a credit line if you have one and then transfer funds into whatever account you want, if you have credit line room, a hold won't effect you.
Happy things worked out in your situation NSTDI. Please don't talk $hite here when you don't have the facts. VW owners:
-confirm with the dealer's office manager (not just your rep) if you can endorse your settlement cheque towards trade-in (new or used)
-if you're not satisfied w/ the answer above, inquire why, and ask what the dealer's bank policy as that's what's driving the ultimate decision
-take necessary steps based on this feedback to lineup your financing options
-ensure your terms are in writing in the "offer to purchase" contract not just verbal
Good luck everyone...
CDN_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:48   #6305
CDN_TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTDI View Post
These days, what the dealer deposits probably isn't even looked at by the banks. The dealer has a humongous credit line with their bank so anything they deposit has no hold by the bank. So the dealer not accepting the Ricepoint cheque is completely stupid. I didn't even have a discussion about that with my dealer, they just automatically got me to sign it on the back. If a cheque they deposit gets returned, they just charge it back to the dealer. Banks watching what gets deposited by the dealer only happens when a dealer is a high credit risk.
if you take your Rice Point cheque into the bank to deposit it, a hold will apply, subject to normal bank rules and policies. One thing you can do to get around a hold is deposit the funds to a credit line if you have one and then transfer funds into whatever account you want, if you have credit line room, a hold won't effect you.
There are reported examples of CDN dealers not accepting endorsed cheques. Just because one, two or several dealers accept endorsed cheques does NOT mean they all will.... so let's make best decisions based on facts - bank/financial institution policy drives financing options available to owners in the buy-back trade-in scenario... end of. G/luck everyone
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:28   #6306
phantom1260

Is anybody here still trying to go in for the Gen 1 fix? Seems they're getting appointments in the US but nothing yet for Canada.
phantom1260 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 18:20   #6307
71Cuda

Default Nothing but BS from VW

What a bunch of a**holes. I have sent them photocopies of my registration 5 times and they claim they are all illegible. Last time was an 11x14 photo that I mailed to them. Once this nightmare is over I will send a letter to the Attorney General of Ontario and inform them of the shenanigans going on. I'm sure there are others with the same problem.
71Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 18:23   #6308
GD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1260 View Post
Is anybody here still trying to go in for the Gen 1 fix? Seems they're getting appointments in the US but nothing yet for Canada.
This will take a little time as VW Canada is busy translating the gen 1 fix info into French in order for Dept of Transport Canada to rubber stamp it.
2004 Jetta TDI PD (BEW) Platinum Metallic Grey 340,000 kms SOLD
2000 Jetta TDI ALH Black 398,000 kms, TT LCA Bushings, TB changed at Windex GTG SOLD
GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:50   #6309
Rod B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD View Post
This will take a little time as VW Canada is busy translating the gen 1 fix info into French in order for Dept of Transport Canada to rubber stamp it.
Only in Canada you say, what a f--king pity.
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 14:57   #6310
Lucsar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_TDi View Post
Happy things worked out in your situation NSTDI. Please don't talk $hite here when you don't have the facts. VW owners:
-confirm with the dealer's office manager (not just your rep) if you can endorse your settlement cheque towards trade-in (new or used)
-if you're not satisfied w/ the answer above, inquire why, and ask what the dealer's bank policy as that's what's driving the ultimate decision
-take necessary steps based on this feedback to lineup your financing options
-ensure your terms are in writing in the "offer to purchase" contract not just verbal
Good luck everyone...
I must say, my process went extremely well. My appointment started almost 1 hour later than scheduled but, the Ricepoint Rep kept apologizing over and over. I got all worked up over nothing; I was a little uneasy because it was an Early Lease Termination...it all went down smoothly, no inspection whatsoever !! Just an odometer check and VIN # check...that's all she wrote.
Lucsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 18:19   #6311
CDN_TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsar View Post
I must say, my process went extremely well. My appointment started almost 1 hour later than scheduled but, the Ricepoint Rep kept apologizing over and over. I got all worked up over nothing; I was a little uneasy because it was an Early Lease Termination...it all went down smoothly, no inspection whatsoever !! Just an odometer check and VIN # check...that's all she wrote.
Great to hear Lucsar!
Old Yesterday, 09:06   #6312
crashtested
Veteran Member

This Saturday @ 12pm she frees up the space in my driveway. RP rep just called to confirm...

Government ID
Registration
Offer Letter - not required
Bill of Sale - not required

Anything else anyone has required when showing up?

Last edited by crashtested; Yesterday at 10:14.
crashtested is online now   Reply With Quote