www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:02   #1
benIV
Veteran Member

Default Preparing a road trip

I'm gonna be driving from columbus ohio area back home to wilmington nc area. Any ideas about where to go or sites to see or things to do? I drive the route (33-77-40) often but usually without stopping. I'd like to make a road trip out of it.

I'd love to have any and all ideas or suggestions (even of different routes)
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan
Knurren, 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant)

1974 Super Beetle Conv, 1956 Mercedes 560 SL

Last edited by benIV; May 23rd, 2017 at 12:44.
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:30   #2
Michael M Perez

Bear in mind that your vehicle is going to be your mobile home. If small kids are there, childproof accordingly. Tune up your car for smooth sailing. NHTSA recommends travelers to have tires, battery, belts, fluids and air conditioners duly checked by a professional mechanic.
Do check for road safety tips at http://universe.byu.edu/2017/05/02/t...ful-road-trip/
I would suggest you get a panzar plate for the engine, basic tools, extra spare tire (same size as your vehicle).
Also make arrangements for the spare fuel filter, extra cell phone chargers, credit cards with lots of credit :-) battery.
Try avoiding the rainy season. Secure your home before the trip. Fortify your homes with window and door security bar. Place a hold on mail, newspaper and other deliveries when you are away. Hire a lawn care company. And get motion detectors installed.
Go with the best network service available. Ham Radio might come in handy. Carry windshield cleaner, a gallon or two of water, air pump with a bottle of slime.
Get a good night's sleep for safe driving and switch between adults. Get your car booster seats checked for correct installation. Gear yourself for safety with the emergency kit which includes water, warm blankets, a flashlight, jumper cables, flares, tools to change a tire, a fully charged cell phone, a first aid kit. Check for smoking hazards.
Do share your experience and let us know about your trip.
While driving, ignore phone calls, take a long view and look away from lights.

Last edited by Michael M Perez; May 24th, 2017 at 02:34.
Michael M Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:17   #3
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my chevy used to get

I would head a bit farther north.

US 50 into West Virginia. very nice drive, if a bit on the curvy side.

you can get a room or camp at Blackwater Falls State Park. check out the falls, and a short walk to Lindy Point overlook.

You then can pick up part of the Shenandoah NP and Blue Ridge Parkway if you like

If you want more citified stuff, there is lots to see in DC, but a bit out of the way

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote