www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old March 21st, 2017, 06:21   #16
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

Appreciate the pix/narrative. A USNR amigo is now in Santa Fe. I can see why. I may need something like that to deal with the MPG loss when I turn in my JSW TDI 6M.

Thanks again.

ez
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:33   #17
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
Appreciate the pix/narrative. A USNR amigo is now in Santa Fe. I can see why.

Thanks again.

ez

What does this mean?

Also, no problem! Thanks for reading it!
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:27   #18
kooyajerms
grocery getter

What a Nice trip, and done with a toddler! You two are troopers! We have yet to take our 1 and 2 year old on a long trip yet, you've inspired me!
kooyajerms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:47   #19
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
What a Nice trip, and done with a toddler! You two are troopers! We have yet to take our 1 and 2 year old on a long trip yet, you've inspired me!

Thanks! Go for it!

We started him early with road trips hoping that in the future he would be comfortable in the car since we like to take trips like this. His first was a 3 hour drive at 6 weeks old and we made 3 stops to feed him lol He probably has close to 8k miles of road trips under his belt now and other than cutting teeth for some of those miles he does pretty well.

My advice is to take frequent breaks to let them run around. It gives them a chance to burn off some energy and you a chance to rest...makes long trips less tiring imo since you won't be doing any 300+ mile stints without stopping. Another thing I've learned is leave for a trip at times when they normally would be sleeping....either very early in the morning or midday nap time. It allows you to cover some ground right off the bat and hopefully avoid 2 hours of screaming right at the beginning of a trip lol

Also, if you get 2/3rd's of what you initially planned to do on a trip then you are doing well! The enjoyment you get watching/showing them new things more than makes up for a few missed points of interest. Once we turned his car seat forward facing he did 10x better than before. You can interact with them and keep them occupied and they don't feel like they are alone. He now says, "dad, dad, dad....big truck" pointing out almost every semi or motorcycle saying," brrrmmmm brmmmm". It's great watching him enjoy such simple things.
Old March 21st, 2017, 21:18   #20
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooyajerms View Post
Kooyajerms, Take the kids and the trailer to Anza Borrega Desert State Park for a 3 day weekend. Enjoy the desert flowers and the campground.

DerekG, USNR = U.S. Navy Reserve.
Great trip report and looks like everybody had fun and ate well! P.S. Nothing wrong with 54 mpg.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote