2013 Jetta

passion_7

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5-speed
If they were really getting their minds straight....they would do a CNG hybrid. The power would be probably 45-50 horsepower less to achieve the same mileage, but here in OK natural gas is going for $.78/gallon. With a lot of the new CNG technology, you can put a special switching/sending unit to be able to switch between gas and natural gas. Just a few of the things brewing here in OK with the CNG boom out in western OK and North Dakota.

At the end of the day though, I love my TDI and will hopefully never have to let it go. If worse comes to worse, they can run on almost straight grease. A good thing to have around when the oil crisis will inevitably ramp up again in the next few decades.

Just my $.02 (or .78)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
With a lot of the new CNG technology, you can put a special switching/sending unit to be able to switch between gas and natural gas. Just a few of the things brewing here in OK with the CNG boom out in western OK and North Dakota.
Vokswagen sells a 150hp 1.4L Passat or Touran with CNG/gasoline tanks for roughly the same money as a 2.0 TDI. That's not new technology and quite common in Europe.

Left fuel gauge is for CNG, right for gasoline

Combined CNG/gasoline filler

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Looks like they are getting ready to supplement this with a plugin soon;

The system should be very similar to the setup in the Jetta hybrid, with the obvious addition of a plug for recharging and a larger-capacity battery. A company exec says the plug-in hybrid powertrain will be installed in a “mass segment” vehicle; we think a plug-in version of the Jetta hybrid might make the most sense.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/volkswagen-developing-plug-in-hybrid-for-the-u-s/

Backup camera is above the license plate:

Last edited:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Does that mean we can expect more hybrids from VW?

Volkswagen has the diesel market cornered in the U.S. — according to Hackenberg, 75 percent of all diesel passenger cars sold are VWs. He goes on, “but there are still customers who prefer a hybrid, depending on the area. We have to offer the technologies which are asked for by customers. They’re asking for a hybrid. That’s why we do it.”
First up is the turbocharged 1.4-liter gasoline I-4 in the Jetta Hybrid with the electric motor doing what the supercharge did on the twincharger engine. The 1.4T is not related to the EA888 (2.0T) engine, but from a smaller family of engines that tops out at 1.4 liters and a turbocharger.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/fiv...rd-member-for-product-development-102269.html

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What about those customers asking for a polo diesel or amarok for the US market? Give the customer what they want as long as it also pleases the government.

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
-complex turbo engine, complex transmission AND a complex hybrid system. I'm not sure I'm ready for another layer of complexity. Frankly, I'm at the point where I'm nervous owning a car longer than four years or outside of warranty with the current level of complexity. If the reliability remains the same as older generation powertrains, and if maintenance/repair costs remain the same, then fine, but I'm not feeling overly confident.
+1

This complexity issue is affecting a lot of makes/models. In the past one bought a MB/BMW for the longevity.

These days most people run when the lease is over trying to avoid epxensive repairs to the hundreds of technowidgets.

I knew I wasn't keeping my BMW when a cracked headlamp assembly cost $1k to replace( at least I eliminated a coyote)

passion_7

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5-speed
Vokswagen sells a 150hp 1.4L Passat or Touran with CNG/gasoline tanks for roughly the same money as a 2.0 TDI. That's not new technology and quite common in Europe.
I agree that it is nothing new as a whole, but in NA it isn't being tapped into like it should be as opposed to the full electric junkers they are bringing out. Definitely interested in looking up some more info on that Passat. Thanks for pointing that out

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
-complex turbo engine, complex transmission AND a complex hybrid system. I'm not sure I'm ready for another layer of complexity. Frankly, I'm at the point where I'm nervous owning a car longer than four years or outside of warranty with the current level of complexity. If the reliability remains the same as older generation powertrains, and if maintenance/repair costs remain the same, then fine, but I'm not feeling overly confident.
Im with you on this. VW needs to match past TDI reliability and fix the HPFP mess. Why rewrite the drawing board with more complex and new when you havent perfected what you already have?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Prius batteries have been holding up well. Honda (doesn't matter what model) batteries, not so much. Don't be misled ... the amount of energy that a vehicle uses over its normal lifetime to drive it down the road, exceeds by a huge margin (~10 times) the energy that it took to build it, and the hybrid battery packs are an insignificant part of the weight of the vehicle. (all-electric car is a different story.) The hybrid Jetta weighs about 200 lbs, i.e. 6%, more than the standard one. The energy taken to manufacture is pretty close to in proportion to its weight, so if it takes 6% more in the beginning to manufacture it but that results in 20% less over its lifetime ... that's a worthwhile tradeoff. (1.06 + 8 is less than 1.00 + 10)

Improvements in powertrain efficiency have been offset by increases in vehicle weight and power; there have been other posts about this recently. Your '86 Jetta won't come even remotely close to passing today's crash tests. Frontal offset impact was hardly a consideration back then. Side impact ... good luck. On top of that, people now expect a level of quiet and refinement that did not exist back then. You couldn't sell a car now that was as noisy inside as that '86 was. No one would buy it. And, everyone wants air conditioning, and navigation systems, and fancy stereos, etc.

Then there's the matter of the enthusiast magazines complaining about anything taking 9 seconds or more to 60 mph as being "slow". People have been brainwashed about this. The average person takes 15 seconds or more to do it and seldom, if ever, uses the extra power.

You're right about the days of the home mechanic being numbered, though.
Possibly a good move for VW to bring a Hybrid to market if this study is believed;

Deloitte Survey: Gen Y's Embrace of Hybrid Vehicles May be Auto Market's Tipping Point

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-be-auto-markets-tipping-point-137666268.html

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Isn't the 2013 jetta line supposed to get the IRS and soft feel dash back anyway?

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
wish they made a 6MT hybrid.....big NO on more complicated DSGs with 400 dollar maintenance every 40K miles....

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I call BS on a 1.4 litre gas engine making 184 ft-lbs of torque at 1400 rpm:eek:
I wonder if it is a misprint and they're really including the torque from the 27hp electric motor in that calculation. The electric motors can generate an amazing amount of torque for short periods. That would make more sense.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
This a "feel good" model that will never take the place of a diesel option. This offering is just a "we can do this too", not a model to remove the diesel from the line up here or anywhere else......
No, not anymore. It gets a jump on the latest CARB mandate.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
saw it at the TO auto show yesterday. NOBODY was looking at it and the VW booth was RAMMED w/people....big snooze with too much complicated stuff.....I agree with the poster who said VW needs to sort out the current crop of challenges before inventing a whole new bunch.