limp mode reset while going up a mountain?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
So let's say you're driving your B4 up a hill and the constant boost deviation causes a limp mode. No real problems, just a tune issue. Instead of limping it up the rest of the mountain, and instead of slowing down to restart the engine, what do you do? (restarting ignition kills limp mode)

Do you continue coasting at 55-65 mph and just restart in neutral? Do you slow down or go to a full stop and then shut down and restart the engine?

Any damage that can result in doing this at a high speed?

I don't like the idea of having a car off at all, but sucks-to-be-me heading home and I start smoking heavily, slowing down and looked like a tool with a busted head gasket! Bad TDI advertisement!

Shut her down as soon as it happens and restart without a blink?

Jeremy

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Not in a B4, but a MKIV, I just turn key off,turn back on, and let out the clutch away we go

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I agree, in my Mk IV. Except clutch in, key off, start the engine with the starter, clutch out. So I use the starter instead of letting the transmission restart the engine.

This lets it come to 903 rpm in the first stage, then to road speed. And it does not challenge my Dual Mass Flywheel as much.

Dan

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
the only time my 02 will go into limp mode is when i am pushing it in 3rd going up to the ski hill ,I just turn the key off & on real quick and the engine is reset Not sure what the problem is but if I just back off a bit things are fine

ultrasparc

Veteran Member
TDI
00, Jetta TDI MK IV
I just turn the key off and on again while in gear, real smooth, no jerks. I dont see why there would be a issue with this, I must have done it a hundred or so times by now.

I have been doing this quite a while, putting of the inevitable, cleaning my turbo or changing my actuator. I actually have been able to clear this issue up by driving up a long mountain pass. If you keep varying the accelerator it wont go into limp mode.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Mine will not reset limp mode if I leave it in gear and cycle the key.

These vehicles that are going into limp mode climbing hills, are they chip tuned?

Dan

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Yes Dan, thanks for adding the clutch in part, just assumed as all, and sometimes I do it both ways,tranny to start or key to start. Maybe now I'll just use the key method althoguh I think I may have cured the limp mode.