1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI for sale-Rebuilt Motor < 500 miles

Escharff

TDI
1996 Passat
1996 VW Passat TDI in Storm Grey Metallic-I love this car! In Santa Rosa CA. I am the 2nd owner and have had the car for over 13 years. 180K+ on the vehicle. Less than 500 on rebuilt motor. Cylinders bored .20 over, Crankshaft turned, new pistons, new crankshaft bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, New Clutch, Motor mounts, Timing Belt, harmonic balancer, accessory belt, water pump, rebuilt cylinder head, Intake hot tanked and perfectly clean, newer tires, newer brakes and rotors, newer shocks, lowering springs-car sits 1 1/2 in. lower-professionally installed, new headlights with Euro headlight switch and circular parking lights around headlights, working lighted turn signals on sides of front fenders, Euro Style rear tail lights, new door striker pins, 17" Alloy wheels plasti-dipped in graphite. Integrated Bluetooth cellphone stereo. AC will freeze you out on high. Refinished both bumpers and roof. New front grill blacked out VW logo. Runs absolutely perfect!! Everything works. Comes with orig headlights, Tail lights bulbs and lenses. Few small scratches and dents but looks great! Great mileage and plenty of torque. Great freeway cruiser! Have a lot of receipts and a Car Fax report!

$10K or best offer. If you are just going tell me how unrealistic I am, don't bother. The car is worth it. If you don't think so, move on.

Erik escharff@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Upload them to photobucket for ex. And then hit the image icon when you type and link them to photobucket location

Escharff

TDI
1996 Passat
I believe the springs are eibach. The headlights are something I found online. They are really great quality.

I don't know what door switch covers are but I can take the price of door switch covers off the sale price if you are interested.

As far as the 10K price-I ask you if you had a TDI that ran perfect, had everything that you ever wanted on it, had a fresh motor and new motor internals, clean intake and was really clean, what would you ask for it?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Excepting the motor internals, I just bought a B4V (wagon) like that for $4000 CDN, and it included a 6 speed addition, 02J shifter, new radiator, condenser, heater core, and blend door foam, heated leather seats, larger G60 brakes, MFA, ODIN skid plate, 15" aluminum wheels, and many other new parts.

I'm not knocking your price, just relaying what I paid and I feel I got a great deal. And all my cars run perfect, there is no reason for them not to.

Escharff

TDI
1996 Passat
Abacus-I think that you got a great deal but those don't come up a lot. This motor is fresh with < than 500 miles on it plus I feel my sedan looks more Euro than your wagon which I like. Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for your comments though.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I believe the springs are eibach. The headlights are something I found online. They are really great quality.
I don't know what door switch covers are but I can take the price of door switch covers off the sale price if you are interested.
As far as the 10K price-I ask you if you had a TDI that ran perfect, had everything that you ever wanted on it, had a fresh motor and new motor internals, clean intake and was really clean, what would you ask for it?
Why would you want to sell such a sweet car after putting so much into it? It is a nice looking car--I'll give you that.

Escharff

TDI
1996 Passat
I've always loved this car. Loved the way it looks, drives and the TDI motor. Unfortunately at 182000 a valve broke and destroyed the head and piston. I was sick so I did a lot of Internet searching on what to do. I was told by a German mechanic in So Cal that I could hone the cylinders, replace the broken parts and put it all back together. I removed the motor and purchased a new piston, rebuilt head, injectors, bearings, water pump, belts, harmonic balancer, hot tanked the intake, motor mounts etc. all this because I loved the car and wanted it back. After going through all the work of disassembling, cleaning, replacing and reassembling, the motor would not run. I had to remove it again and get it to a machine shop. Turns out that a rod was bent and it needed to be bored and a whole new set of pistons. I had the machine shop assemble the entire motor because I didn't want to take a chance of making a second mistake.

As all of this was going on I needed a car so I purchased a slightly used Ford Focus. I got a great deal on a fully loaded prior year model with only 7700 miles. At that time I had a considerable amount of money into the Passat and it still wasn't running. I was too far invested to stop and I didn't want to just give up. I made an agreement with my wife that all the money that I had to spend to get the Passat running again would be recouped once it was done and the proceeds would go to paying the Focus loan down, I have learned to like the Focus and realize that I don't want a manual transmission anymore.

When I finally got my Passat back together and running almost a year had pasted. Belief me I have thoughts of keeping it and selling the Focus. It runs great and looks great and is fun to drive. I'm torn. I know the car will go for close to 200k or more but I made a promise to my wife. That is why I think I'm selling it. Make sense?

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Makes sense, but very rarely does one recoup the money invested/spent on a car. Nice looking B4. GLWS.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Nice looking b4, but you are high on the price. Just because you made a promise to your wife, doesn't mean the marketplace for these cars will pay you back every dime you spent on it.

This doesn't mean there isn't a buyer out there who will pay what you are asking, but I can say for certain that person is not a member on this board (if they exist).

Private sale, your car is worth maybe $6k to the right buyer. Maybe.