Headquarters Hotel: Park City Marriott?

M

mickey

I checked the place out today and started negotiations with the business manager.

Very nice hotel! A complete rennovation was finished last year. There are a few suites available, but mostly you get a choice between two queen-size beds (family) or a single king. (Garrett and mickey.)

The rooms are very nice. They all have individual climate control, two-line phones with voice mail, HBO, movies on demand, two sinks/vanities, small refrigerator, in room coffee maker, hair dryer, full-size ironing board and iron and data ports for high speed internet access. (Extra $10 per day for the internet access. Bring your laptops! There are ports for LAN, USB or modem, depending on what kind of hardware you have installed.) Some rooms are adjacent to the atrium swimming pool and hot tub area. Others are available with outside balconies or atrium balconies.

The atrium/swimming pool area is really cool! It's a long "T" shaped corridor, 4 stories high, with live trees and lots of nice patio furniture for casual hanging around. The pool is at the end of the atrium. There is also a hot tub.

There is a full service restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch and dinner entrees are rotisserie-style. (Sp?) Room service is available.

There is free underground covered parking along with your room.

There are 4 ballrooms available, all in a row, and they can be opened up and combined into various sizes as needed for the big Awards Banquet on Sunday night. As many as 500 people could be accomodated for this. We'll need to get some numbers finalized as soon as possible so we can book the appropriate ballrooms. At the moment they're all available for that night. We have the choice of plated or buffet style meals. (I figure we'll go with the cheaper option in the interest of economy.) An almost endless variety of menu items are possible, so we'll put it to a vote or something later. Please e-mail me privately if you have any particular dietary needs and I'll see what they can do to accomodate you.

The hotel, being newly rennovated, is fully ADA compliant so you'll have no trouble if any member of your party is wheelchair bound.

A full service bar is available if you're so inclined. In Utah hard liquor can only be served in "private clubs", but every guest of the hotel gets a free "club membership." Kind of goofy, I know, but trust me: You can get just as smashed in Utah as anywhere else. You just need to know the ropes.

This will be the headquarters hotel for the GTG. The sales manager told me he'd sharpen up his pencil and try to get a group rate as low as possible in order to encourage as many members to stay there as economics will allow. As previously discussed there will be other options available for lodging, ranging from tent sites to the Stein Eriksen Lodge if you really want to get crazy with your lottery winnings. As a guess we're looking at $80 to $100 per night, single or double-occupancy. Families will be a bit more, obviously. Sounds like a lot to me, but then I'm a Motel 6 kind of guy. (Which will run you $40 to $50 per night down in Salt Lake. Spend the extra money!)

This place looks like it should be the best thing going in Park City for our needs. Start saving up your milk money! It's a very cool hotel. You'll like it.

-mickey

p.s. Fully equipped exercise room, Mtn. Bike rentals available on property, and the free Park City town shuttle buses stop at the hotel, so you can get back to your room after an evening of bar-hopping on Main Street.

M

mickey

Just got this e-mail:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>PROPOSAL

GROUP: TDI Club

DATES: September 20 – 25, 2001

ACCOMMODATIONS: 50 Deluxe sleeping rooms

RATES: $85.00 Based on Single or Double Occupancy
MEETING ROOM NEEDS: N/A

FOOD & BEVERAGE: Sunday – Banquet for 200 people

MEETING ROOM RATES: Meeting room charge will be waived based on the agenda
above.

TAXES: Room: 10.25% Food: 8.25% Service: 17% <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a resort town, we avail ourselves of the opportunity to gouge people mercilessly on the lodging and restaurant taxes! (Hey, my exhorbitantly high salary has to come from somewhere.
)

$85 per night, plus taxes, sounds like a swinging deal for what you get. This is a very nice hotel. I may have to book a room for a night myself!

I'm not sure if they're accepting reservations yet. I'll check, and let you know. By the end of the week I'd like to have at least a rough idea of how many people will be staying at the HQ Hotel and how many, total, will be attending the Awards Banquet. If we can fill 50 sleeping rooms we'll get the usual fees waived for the meeting room(s).

For now, I'm going to have them pencil our names in for one ballroom, which will accomodate 140 banquet guests. If we need room for more we can open up the wall to the room next door and accomodate another 150. Then there's a 160 and a 50, if needed, for a total of 530 banquet guests. (That seems highly unlikely.)

Once we decide on the menue and the number of guests we can flesh out the per-plate cost for the banquet.

-mickey

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited March 19, 2001).]

M

mickey

Do NOT try to book a room yet! (Somebody already called them!) Please read this first:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Just to make sure we are on the same page -- in order for
your group to get that discounted rate, we will need to enter into a
rooming agreement. We actually had a call from someone who saw your posting
and they wanted to make a reservation. Maybe it would be wise to post on
the site that no reservations can be made at that rate at this time.

We can make the rooming agreement for as many rooms/night as you would like.
In our agreements we do allow for 20% slippage in agreed rooms, so if you
are unsure as to how many will attend, we do take that into consideration.

When you decide you want to move forward, I will prepare a contract, get
that to you. At that time, I will hold the space on a tentative basis.
Once the contract is signed with applicable deposit (or a credit card to
hold them) we will have TDI in the system and the rooms and space are yours
and attendees may make reservations.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Kyle Taylor<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please post HERE if you want to stay at the HQ Hotel! I'm going to ask Fred about doing a rare "mass e-mail" to registered forum members about this subject. Spread the word! I want to give the hotel a number by the end of the week.

I need to know:

1. How many attending the Awards Banquet on Sunday evening? (September 23rd.) I mean EXACTLY how many! Including kids, friends, entourage, hangers-on, papparazzi, well-wishers, etc. How many MEALS, in other words. How many PLATES. Got it?

2. How many ROOMS do you need for your party, if you plan to stay at the Mariott Hotel? (Other accomodations will be available for less money if you're as poor as I am.) $85 U.S. + taxes for single or double occupancy, per night. You have the choice of a single King or double Queens. Let me know! As described in the above e-mail, we need to enter into a "rooming agreement" in order to reserve all the rooms at the discounted price and to get the banquet rooms without the usual fee. In other words, yours truly is going to wind up leaving a rather ugly looking deposit on his credit card!
This is for real! Don't tell me you need a room if you're not sure!

As you can tell, I'm a bit nervous about this. I'm not a travel agent. I've got no experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks!

-mickey

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Ripster King Room, two in party and for the banquet Sunday night, unless I hit a deer or something on the way out there. At the Banquet you will have a firm idea on expenses, what is not covered just pass the hat till you get it. No need for expenses to come out of your pocket, right Valois!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
2 in party for a King room. Possibly a 3rd person, but that is uncoffirmed. Banquet Sunday Night. # of nights, at least 2.

fgray

Count me for two in a Kingsize, and for the banquet.Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and gals. Am driving a NB 2001 and have told my Stealer that I wanted the first Jetta wagon with TDI and an automatic.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
As of today I plan to be there alone so I'll take a king if any are left.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

ScottTDI

Veteran Member
ScottTDI and Suzanne856.2(Suburban) will go for the King Size and the Banquet.

Frank Doherty.. It will be good to see you and the D-SEL there. I used pics of your TRed TDI as my background until I got my car!!

Scott

Frank Doherty

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mickey:
Do NOT try to book a room yet! (Somebody already called them!) Please read this first:

Please post HERE if you want to stay at the HQ Hotel! I'm going to ask Fred about doing a rare "mass e-mail" to registered forum members about this subject. Spread the word! I want to give the hotel a number by the end of the week.

I need to know:

1. How many attending the Awards Banquet on Sunday evening? (September 23rd.) I mean EXACTLY how many! Including kids, friends, entourage, hangers-on, papparazzi, well-wishers, etc. How many MEALS, in other words. How many PLATES. Got it?

2. How many ROOMS do you need for your party, if you plan to stay at the Mariott Hotel? (Other accomodations will be available for less money if you're as poor as I am.) $85 U.S. + taxes for single or double occupancy, per night. You have the choice of a single King or double Queens. Let me know! As described in the above e-mail, we need to enter into a "rooming agreement" in order to reserve all the rooms at the discounted price and to get the banquet rooms without the usual fee. In other words, yours truly is going to wind up leaving a rather ugly looking deposit on his credit card!
This is for real! Don't tell me you need a room if you're not sure!

As you can tell, I'm a bit nervous about this. I'm not a travel agent. I've got no experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks!

-mickey

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TWO for the ROOM (HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET SOME 'NON-SMOKING' ROOMS) AND TWO for the Banquet. Just let me know when you need the $$ and I'll get it to you! Thanks for all your hard work.

------------------
Frank Doherty
2000 GL Jetta
Tornado Red, Black Cloth, Splash Guards, STONGARD, Tinted Windows
License: D - SEL

M

mickey

All the rooms are "non-smoking." That is true of virtually any building in Utah except for private homes. Smoking is absolutely VERBOTEN indoors! Those of you from tobacco country may like it so much you'll quit.

-mickey