Quality of Kings Island Resort & Conference Center?

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Hey guys,

I always do my research before I commit to staying in a hotel, and so far, the hotel that the fest is centred around isn't getting the greatest reviews. Mostly I have been looking at trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...land_Resort_Conference_Center-Mason_Ohio.html

Usually I am relatively easy going and don't care too much about hotel rooms since really, how much time will we be spending in the rooms? However, some of those reviews do have what I would classify as dealbreakers in them. Granted, there are only 11 reviews on tripadvisor out of potentially tens of thousands of people that have stayed there over the years, but nonetheless I don't imagine too many of the people posting online were lying.

So what I am asking for is someone who knows about this place or who has stayed at it to reassure me that it's not as bad as I am making it out to be, and perhaps trounce some of the really bad trip advisor reviews. As much as I want to support the fest and all aspects of it, I might end up looking somewhere else in the area to stay and coming down to kings for the day.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
I haven't stayed there, but have visited the rooms, several other planners have visited as well. We were shown a few rooms along with the dining areas. Its true the hotel itself is old but the rooms we saw, and pictures we took did not indicate any of the issues in some of those reviews. I can see your concern, hopefully someone who has stayed there can chime in as well. It might not hurt to contact Bruce (paramedick) and raise up individual points, he is going to visit the hotel again (I dont think I can make it) and could address them directly, and hopefully get some additional reassurance.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
The Kings Island Resort and Conference Center was well cared for from what we observed, but it was a 'less than' brand new conference hotel. (benefits were the grounds and layout) We all preferred the brand new resort across the way, but being Labor Day weekend (still prime), put a pinch on allocating enough rooms, privacy and more importantly guaranteeing 'price' to fit the budget most TDI owners have come to expect.

Personally speaking, unless you are a five-star ultra-persnickety person (nothing wrong with that), you'll have no problem staying at this years conference hotel -- JMHO.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Does that mean they have cheap, thin sheet toilet paper well suited for a by-pass oil filter? Huh? Huh?

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Lug_Nut said:
Does that mean they have cheap, thin sheet toilet paper well suited for a by-pass oil filter? Huh? Huh?
Shall we have them send you a sample sheet? :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Bumping up this thread for a minutes. I'm not too inclined to put too much stock in what some of the people are posting online. One comment says that the hotel hasn't been remodeled since it was built. The hotel's website says that it was remodeled in 2005, and the room pictures confirm that.

I have spoken to the folks at the hotel on a couple of occasions regarding their rooms and what is available, and they have been very knowledgable, very accomodating, and even send pictures to me of the rooms. From what I can tell, the furniture looks to be in fairly good shape in the pictures... certainly not more than a few years old.

Hopefully this settles your mind a bit, blizzak. :)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Look at ratings for other hotels/motels and compare. They all take hits.

Rich and I personally looked at random rooms of each type in the main building. All were clean and nicely decorated with relatively new furnishings. We would not have chosen this complex if it was horrible.

All TDIFest rooms are to be in the main building unless otherwise requested by person making reservations. The main building has been refreshed in the last year or two. Wireless internet. Comfortable.

I will be renting two rooms for the family. Does this indicate my confidence? ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does it really matter that much? I mean, who cares what the furniture is like, so long as there is a place to sleep, poop, shower, and the A/C works...then it is fine with me. :eek:

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

Yeah you definitely have all settled my mind. I missed booking through the group rate here, but am booked at the hotel regardless. It looked like the group rate was a little cheaper though:(.

Looking forward to it!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
blizzak said:
Hey guys,

Yeah you definitely have all settled my mind. I missed booking through the group rate here, but am booked at the hotel regardless. It looked like the group rate was a little cheaper though:(.

Looking forward to it!
Glad you decided to crash with the rest of us!

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it's gonna be fun. I know I haven't been in IRC for a while, but it'll be fun to meet and greet, down some beers, y'know.