Canadian vs US Settlement Regarding Salvage Title Cars

jamesehatcher

TDI
2001 Golf
Wow....HUGE difference in the way VW is handling the cars in Canada with branded titles vs. how they are handling them in the US.

I guess VW may have figured out people were fixing these cars up and turning them in.

But logically....a salvage title car can be fixed and issued a rebuilt title. Thus the same problem exists for the car that was originally caused by VW.

https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Exhibit-3-Long-Form-Notice.pdf

SECTION G

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
No. There is no difference.

Yes! There is a very significant difference. In the US your car is only excluded if it is branded salvage etc AND was acquired from a junk yard. In Canada that little word "AND" is an "OR". Makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jamesehatcher

TDI
2001 Golf
Not only the missing "AND"......the Canadian agreement specifically excludes totaled cars owned by insurance companies and other owners.

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
insurance company saids my 2010 jetta tdi is totaled status

I have a 2010 jetta tdi , i got in a rear ender on April.24 , 2017 and was told the car was totalled , now the insurance company wants to pay me out 10000.00 canadian dollars , but after i filled the buy back forms to vw they said i am entitled to 13,500.00. The car is still operational to drive by to the dealership. I was wondering if i would be still eligiable for the 5100.00 and my buy back 13,500.00. Any one have any ideas.
I would like to keep the car , but the insurance company giving me 6 days to decide. I havent got any paperwork stating my claim. any suggestions would great. thanks

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I have a 2010 jetta tdi , i got in a rear ender on April.24 , 2017 and was told the car was totalled , now the insurance company wants to pay me out 10000.00 canadian dollars , but after i filled the buy back forms to vw they said i am entitled to 13,500.00. The car is still operational to drive by to the dealership. I was wondering if i would be still eligiable for the 5100.00 and my buy back 13,500.00. Any one have any ideas.

I would like to keep the car , but the insurance company giving me 6 days to decide. I havent got any paperwork stating my claim. any suggestions would great. thanks
If the insurance company takes possession you can still collect the $5100 but not the Vehicle Value (13,500) from VW. But you will get the 10,000 from insurance.

If you keep the car what will the insurance pay you? Typically they would subtract a salvage value from the payout. There may be a "branding" placed on the car. I am not really sure how that works. You will have to understand if there is how that would affect the buy back. There are some differences in the Canadian agreement vs US.

Edit: Just read the answer to FAQ questions N & O. Branding is only an issue if it was branded on Sept 18, 2015. So if you keep the car and it is operable you can turn it in for full buyback value. Do not let the insurance company take possession of your car if it is still operable or you can easily make it operable, even if the insurance company declares it totaled. Take their settlement less salvage and turn the car in for buyback.

Last edited:

btrumper

TDI
2003 wagon, 2011 Golf Wagon
Now that settlements have been received, is it true that Canadian TDI’s are not eligible? Has anyone in in Canada received a settlement on a vehicle with rebuilt title status?