Buyback COMPLETED Car is now in Dealership Lot

sprylo

TDI
2011 JSW
I just got a call (930pm here) From Volkswagen Settlement (844-982-5246) asking me how everything went.
I just got the same call! It came across as very genuine and cordial. I may be reading too much into it, but it struck me like someone with some degree of responsibility checking in on the first day, rather than a front-line customer service person making a routine follow-up call.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I just got the same call! It came across as very genuine and cordial. I may be reading too much into it, but it struck me like someone with some degree of responsibility checking in on the first day, rather than a front-line customer service person making a routine follow-up call.
Wonder if we had the same person! I felt the same way, and when I inquired about Chase I got the same answer so I can sleep tonight about the EFT knowing that you heard the same thing I heard and she confirmed it!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I asked her about the email regarding the EFT and she said I would have it in the next several days from CHASE.
This is somewhat disconcerting. By the terms of the settlements, VW has three banking days to have your money to you. Allowing "several days" to get the email that allows you to give them the information on where to send the money doesn't seem consistent with that. I guess it might just be accounting for Thanksgiving being tomorrow, but it still doesn't sound right.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
This is somewhat disconcerting. By the terms of the settlements, VW has three banking days to have your money to you. Allowing "several days" to get the email that allows you to give them the information on where to send the money doesn't seem consistent with that. I guess it might just be accounting for Thanksgiving being tomorrow, but it still doesn't sound right.
Thanksgiving sounds like it may be the bottleneck. If I could do it all over again I would just have taken the paper check since my car was parked my mileage did not dramatically change

71sbeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
1971 Super Beetle, 2014 Golf TDI (soon to be 2017 Golf Wolfsburg), 2015 Silverado LT
I wish I would have pulled the RCD-510... I drove home in my 80 year old fathers Tiguan and found his touch screen was broken from him putting the suction cup of his GPS on the touchscreen....

Seniors!!! (I can't give him a hard time, he is 80, driving a 200HP Tiguan and has an iPhone and GPS)

I wonder if I leave the RNS510 in my Golf if they will give me the extra $ in my buyback? If so I'll leave it in there (sucks because it has lifetime Sirius which I can't transfer) and you can have my RCD510 for your Father's Tiguan, just pay for the shipping (it's brand new, removed on day 1!)

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if I leave the RNS510 in my Golf if they will give me the extra $ in my buyback? If so I'll leave it in there (sucks because it has lifetime Sirius which I can't transfer) and you can have my RCD510 for your Father's Tiguan, just pay for the shipping (it's brand new, removed on day 1!)

I think your car is "navigation equipped" if you turn it in with Nav right??? I would expect credit for it having the RNS.

PM me when your all settled up and I will be glad to pay shipping!

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
They should be able to give you the etf transfer on the spot. Why are they making you wait X amount of days. As they say 10 days for the offer and they sure are lying about that. I am glad I am not one of the first. Although none of you have loans so if you already have a new car you can have patience. But if you have a loan on your patience might not last as long.

They should take your etf information on the claims site. This and whole mileage and getting payoff amounts now instead of when the car is turned in is quite upsetting.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
They should be able to give you the etf transfer on the spot. Why are they making you wait X amount of days. As they say 10 days for the offer and they sure are lying about that. I am glad I am not one of the first. Although none of you have loans so if you already have a new car you can have patience. But if you have a loan on your patience might not last as long.
They should take your etf information on the claims site. This and whole mileage and getting payoff amounts now instead of when the car is turned in is quite upsetting.
I agree, and maybe things will move quicker once the first few people are done. I am happy its over, all and all it went well for me , I think that things could have been done better but at the same time I can't Monday morning quarterback what VW is doing as I have never bought back half a million cars before

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I agree, and maybe things will move quicker once the first few people are done. I am happy its over, all and all it went well for me , I think that things could have been done better but at the same time I can't Monday morning quarterback what VW is doing as I have never bought back half a million cars before
I think I will ask for a check. I am not leaving them my car without some form of payment. To me this is an unacceptable situation.

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
It's an obvious reason why they are having Chase Bank or whatever bank dealing with you directly through email.
It's to reduce fraud possibilities. This is a very large transaction for every VW owner.
The agent your dealing with at the VW dealer does not work for the Dealership nor do they work for VW Corporation. The website you have been interacting with probably has access by VW and the company assisting them in the buyback. They are third party hired temps by the firm dealing with the settlement representing VW.
Rather have Chase deal directly with me by sending an email with the steps. Which I am sure is either having you call or go to their bank site controlled by them and enter your information, banks routing number and Bank account number which is what they need to do the EFT transaction. Better that then to input that info on any VW website or give it to what seems like a really nice person but is just temps.
Give some credit to Chase bank and even I'm sure VW for trying to narrow down any possible fraud of stealing your bank info by reducing the interactions for your banking information down to the bank and you.

Last edited:

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Give some credit to Chase bank and even I'm sure VW for trying to narrow down any possible fraud of stealing your bank info by reducing the interactions for your banking information down to the bank and you.
I chuckled when I read this. This entire fiasco is driven by Volkswagen's desire to defraud the consumer. I seriously doubt their moral high ground is much above sea level. They took every step to ensure their equity in this transaction while sending the vehicle owner home with a promissory note.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
It's an obvious reason why they are having Chase Bank or whatever bank dealing with you directly through email.
It's to reduce fraud possibilities. This is a very large transaction for every VW owner.
The agent your dealing with at the VW dealer does not work for the Dealership nor do they work for VW Corporation. The website you have been interacting with probably has access by VW and the company assisting them in the buyback. They are third party hired temps by the firm dealing with the settlement representing VW.
Rather have Chase deal directly with me by sending an email with the steps. Which I am sure is either having you call or go to their bank site controlled by them and enter your information, banks routing number and Bank account number which is what they need to do the EFT transaction. Better that then to input that info on any VW website or give it to what seems like a really nice person but is just temps.
Chase Bank has committed fraud on me before. I would give zero credit to them. Also what if you don't get the email and all they say when you call them up is it should be there soon.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Chase Bank has committed fraud on me before. I would give zero credit to them. Also what if you don't get the email and all they say when you call them up is it should be there soon.
Yeah, even at this point I hold higher regards for VW than Chase.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Take a deep breath and think about this folks. Unless you have never purchased or sold a home, car, boat, RV, motorcycle, four wheeler, or large appliance and never plan to do so for the remainder of your lives you'll have to get over your mistrust. You can't go through life with a cardboard box full of paper currency changing hands .

The EFT or paper check offered by VW is the way the world transacts business. You'll walk away from the turnover transaction with either a paper check which for the skeptics could be bogus and a receipt signed by a VWAG representative proving VW took possession of your car.

If the check bounces or the EFT doesn't occur as promised it wouldn't take 15 minutes to find a lawyer happy to file a lawsuit against VWAG on your behalf.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
VWAG didn't cheat any of us, your government did. VWAG deceived EPA so they could sell us the outstanding cars we wanted and, for many of us, still want.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
When I sold my last home, it was in winter. The out of town buyers were not attending the closing. Their final payment was arriving by certified check via FedEx.

Except there has been snowstorms disrupting airport operations, and the check did not arrive in time. We went through with the closing anyway, signed the papers, but did not send them out until the following day, when the check arrived.

Unfortunately, you do not have that option here. The car is gone, you have signed a power of attorney to allow VW to act as your agent in completing the title transfer, and you are out on the street with a promise.

If making the decision for myself, I would probably accept that risk. But if I were advising a client, I would tell him to not leave their car without a check, even if that means rescheduling.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
This is correct, and why the best way for anyone to do the payment is EFT. Any bill we pay that can't be handled by credit card is paid by EFT: phone, electric, condo fees, etc. Why someone would feel that a piece of paper in their pocket is somehow superior to the money being deposited directly into their account would be a mystery to me, except that I've seen signs of incipient OCD bordering on paranoia with some people on this forum.
When we bought real estate earlier this year, we were required by the title company to make the payment by EFT. No checks, no wads of greasy currency, no gunny sacks full of quarters.....

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
While i partially accepted that I'll get my $ through chase I'm still disappointed. Not only do we have to wait for the email but also for the money to be transferred from our chase account to a non-chase account. Seems like every step of this process has been designed to test people's patience.
So realistically, you could have access to your money in 4-5 business days.

Btw, who can we call to check on the status of eft (if one hasn't received an email in a timely manner).

Last edited:

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
I don't understand why the EFT could not be handled on the spot with conference calls, etc. between me, my bank, the VW representative and Chase. This seems odd...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
VWAG didn't cheat any of us, your government did. VWAG deceived EPA so they could sell us the outstanding cars we wanted and, for many of us, still want.

Please take your political opinions some place else.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Did they go through the car looking for missing items, spares, tools, doors, seats? For the guys that want to pick it clean.
Are you hoping to make a few extra bucks?

Assuming VW eventually fixes the cars and resells, I want the future owner to have a nice car.

Only thing I want to do is pull the aftermarket amp I installed. I'll wire it back to working order -- easy to do, tho. Going to leave wiring and aftermarket speakers-- too much of a pain to remove.

Anyway, nice write up. Good to see it's actually working....

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Regarding the EFT, I wonder what would happen if I walked into a car dealership and said to them "Ok, I want to drive this car home today. I will set up an EFT after I leave and you will be contacted within 24hrs through email for payment." I wonder how that would go over....

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Wilcharl,

Thanks for posting all of this!

My sellback date is 11/29 and I just inked the deal yesterday for a Mazda CX-5. I planed on picking up the new Mazda on 12/3. I really thought that I'd have the buyback cash in my account, via EFT, before 12/3. Now I'm not sure at all, if fact I doubt it will happen before then.

Please keep us informed as to when you get the e-mail from Chase and when the EFT finally comes though.

Thanks again!

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thinking about the EFT thing last night and I really think after reading about Chase payment system it makes sense

The last thing VW needs during this buyback is a data breach

Keeping financial information completely out of their system and off of their networks reduces their liability and puts it in the hands of someone that is an expert at moving money and has the tools to do it securely

Overnight VW has gone from a car manufacturer to a massive car buyback company

Since the dealership is not involved in the transaction , this is new territory for VW

I don't object to them using Chase

I think in hindsight I would have chosen the paper check for the instant gratification but the risk with that is a mileage mismatch (no check) me loosing the check or my bank putting a hold on the $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Regarding the EFT, I wonder what would happen if I walked into a car dealership and said to them "Ok, I want to drive this car home today. I will set up an EFT after I leave and you will be contacted within 24hrs through email for payment." I wonder how that would go over....
Probably half the time it goes down like this... drive away in the new car with nothing down, just a promise to pay.