Rear brake is dragging

wizard_of_koz

TDI
2002 A4 B6 BHW 6speed, 2010 A3 8P
My rear right brake is dragging while I drive. I checked the hand brake cable and it doesn't work on the right side. Also, my ABS light is on. I have searched the forum and many people are having problems with the cable not returning, but my cable is broken. How can I diagnose this problem. I am on a road trip so I only have one jack stand.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
Check the caliper guide pins to see if the caliper can move freely. Also disconnect the parking brake cable at the caliper to rule that out.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
And make sure the lever that the cable pulls on the caliper is all the way down and to the rear. If it is still dragging, then the caliper itself probably needs replacement.

wizard_of_koz

TDI
The guide pins are tight. The rotor is scraping the side of the caliper as seen in the photo. Also the abs sensor? Looks a little mangled and there is wear on the ribbed part. So I need a new caliper? Is that all I need?

P.s. the caliper mounting bolts are stripped.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The guide pins are tight. The rotor is scraping the side of the caliper as seen in the photo. Also the abs sensor? Looks a little mangled and there is wear on the ribbed part. So I need a new caliper? Is that all I need?

P.s. the caliper mounting bolts are stripped.
Your pins should not be tight, the caliper rides back an forth on those. Those pins should slide in and out in the little cylinder they are in.

wizard_of_koz

TDI
Wups. I meant the bolts securing the pins were tight. The pins go up and down freely. Seems like the caliper or the hub is crooked. How do I figure out which one it is?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Looking at the photo, something is spaced out the rotor or caliper, seems to be an extra groove cut(?). Pull the caliper and pads and check mating